• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SIG 716 DMR

YearZer0

1 hour ago, YearZer0 said:

This Bolt Catch/Hold Open is being the Bain of my existance. Any suggestions?

Any more details on the issue, does it not always grab or is it the small engagement surface area you are talking about? I use 716 catches on all my 308AR's now, found them more reliable than others. One of the few functions my P716 has never had an issue with.

59 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Any more details on the issue, does it not always grab or is it the small engagement surface area you are talking about? I use 716 catches on all my 308AR's now, found them more reliable than others. One of the few functions my P716 has never had an issue with.

I'm not super familiar yet with what would be considered "in tolerance/out of tolerance", but I definitely agree it has a small engagement surface at the moment. Is there anything I can do to remedy that? This is a first gen 716 DMR that was one of a bunch that was used as a demo for a Police Force. I bought it and have put about 100 rounds through it. I didn't really notice it at first because you can drop a Mag and it won't slam forward like it 99% will if you do it manually. 

7 hours ago, YearZer0 said:

I didn't really notice it at first because you can drop a Mag and it won't slam forward like it 99% will if you do it manually. 

Your picture shows plenty of engagement between the bolt catch and the bolt face.  Please explain this statement in more detail - need to know more of what you're talking about here, as to what the malfunction is... 

What brand magazines are you running?...  You cannot possibly provide "too many" details on this, so let your mind run free, and tell us everything...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm unfortunately limited to 5 Rounds so I get a lot of practice in changing Mags 🙄 and I haven't had the BCG slam forward while jostling around during that. I believe they are the smoked 5 Round Lancer Mags, I'd have to double check though. I have a Geisellie Maritime Bolt-Catch I was going to use in something else, wonder if that would work.

It will slam home if I lock the BCG.

Edited by YearZer0

I don’t know if I’m understanding. You say you haven’t had the BCG slam forward during a time when it is not supposed to slam forward, and that’s the Bain of your existence?  Are you troubled because it functions as designed, or is there something more to it?

edit to add:

I’m not familiar with the 716, so maybe the mag is supposed to release the bolt on that one when inserted?  It sounds like that’s what your after. Are you wanting the bolt to release when you insert the mag?  On most rifles it is not supposed to. To have to press the bolt release to send the bcg forward. It’s early, forgive me if I’m misreading something. 

Edited by DNP

What I'm saying is it seems to not "malfunction" after the BCG locks back (itself) on an empty Magazine (I can bump it around with the Mag out and it seems stable), however if you manually lock the BCG back don't be doing any chamber checks, etc, because if you look at it wrong the BCG will slam forward. Why is it the Bain of my existance? It doesn't feel nice having a 7.62 size BCG slam your Fingers unexpectedly.

Edited by YearZer0

I get the picture a little more clearly now. 

If the bolt stop can pivot enough when pushed into position by the empty mag, what’s stopping it from being deployed to the same height when manually set? 

And yeah....keep the fingers out of the chamber on one that’s touchy. Can’t imagine that would help your hand modeling career. Ouch. 

9 hours ago, YearZer0 said:

What I'm saying is it seems to not "malfunction" after the BCG locks back (itself) on an empty Magazine (I can bump it around with the Mag out and it seems stable), however if you manually lock the BCG back don't be doing any chamber checks, etc, because if you look at it wrong the BCG will slam forward. Why is it the Bain of my existance? It doesn't feel nice having a 7.62 size BCG slam your Fingers unexpectedly.

You played with gas adjustment yet?  When you lock it back on your own, are you making sure you've pushed the bottom of that bolt catch in all the way?