• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Taming the beast

jasonc273

Good evening, 

The purpose of my Ar 10 is to hunt suppressed, I would also like to tame it enough for my wife and child to shoot it too and make it enjoyable. 

I have a  complete lower Aero precision lower M5 Carbine Receiver Extension with atlas handguard and aero precision upper receiver.

Faxon 16 inch pencil barrel, midlength, with Superlative .750 adjustable gas block, and a 8 inch can (which is why I'm going with 16 inch barrel).

I almost got titanium bcg but is too expensive so I bought Brownell BCG nitride and it weights 1lb 2.4oz. Buffer weight 3.8 oz.

She still kicks pretty good, I'm planning to put one of my magpul ctr with limbsaver on it to see how she feels.

After looking through the web, I saw several options. 

1) A5 receiver with 308 rifle buffer spring and an AR15 carbine buffer

2) Armalite AR10 Carbine receiver extension, which runs a standard-length AR15 H3 Carbine buffer with Armalite EA1095 buffer spring according to 98Z5V 

3) Tubb  AR10 spring with h2 buffer according to this guy http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=654

4) geissele super 42? 

There's probably more options but it starts to get overwhelming. 

I appreciate any advice.

3 minutes ago, jasonc273 said:

From what I read here at least 5.4 oz? That's probably why it hits my shoulder so hard, with the full mass bcg hitting the light buffer.

Keep in mind the BCG doesn’t actually hit the buffer but pushes it. Lighter BCG and buffer will lighten recoil but cost in reliability and requires use of an adjustable gas block. Heavier buffers will also lighten recoil some but cause a little more disturbance when going into battery. It’s all about balancing the system. 

25 minutes ago, jasonc273 said:

I can't afford a 350 dollar for a lightweight bcg, I bought my bcg for 100 bucks, haha. So I'm left with the heavier buffer option then. 

Thank you for the link. I'll look around for a kit that's available.

That lightweight, high-dollar race-BCG would make this matter even worse...

The AR-10 Carbine Recoil System that JT linked is what you need.  The real part, the real pieces in the kit.  That kit is WAY cheaper than piecing this together yourself, but if you have to piece it together, I can give you a big list of all compatible, reputable parts that will work just like that kit does.   Inside that $65 kit, you're getting a $40 buffer, a $45 dollar (minimum) receiver extension, plus the proper recoil spring, a castle nut and endplate.  That kit is a steal.

1 hour ago, jasonc273 said:

Good evening, 

The purpose of my Ar 10 is to hunt suppressed, I would also like to tame it enough for my wife and child to shoot it too and make it enjoyable. 

Shoulda built a .260 Remington AR.  That's what I wanted to say, when I read your first sentence.

Way better ballistics on the .260 Rem than any .308 Win round, lighter recoiling, and when it was SAAMI-approved by Remington in 1997, Remington touted it as the gun to get for "recoil sensitive" shooters.  The .260 Rem is a hoot in the AR platform. 

7 minutes ago, jasonc273 said:

Got it, I signed up for their back in stock email when he posted that. Would I have to go heavier on the buffer?

The buffer in that kit is already 5.4oz.   :thumbup:

Call Armalite in the phone, and see if they have the parts in stock - ask for the kit.  Many times, they have all the parts there, but they haven't been assembled into one box yet, as that "kit." A call on the phone many times gets you what you need - even if it's listed as Out Of Stock at the time.

800-336-0184

Edited by 98Z5V

10 hours ago, jasonc273 said:

Didn't get to talk to the guy who handles these things, I think his name is Glenn, but I left a message. Another option is eurooptics.com. 

For future reference, to anyone that stumbles on this - EuroOptic is SOLID.  Very much so.   :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 11:47 PM, 98Z5V said:

Shoulda built a .260 Remington AR.  That's what I wanted to say, when I read your first sentence.

Way better ballistics on the .260 Rem than any .308 Win round, lighter recoiling, and when it was SAAMI-approved by Remington in 1997, Remington touted it as the gun to get for "recoil sensitive" shooters.  The .260 Rem is a hoot in the AR platform. 

Ok so my friend wants to buy a Ar for his son to hunt with him. Is .260 rem good enough to hunt deer?

30 minutes ago, jasonc273 said:

Ok so my friend wants to buy a Ar for his son to hunt with him. Is .260 rem good enough to hunt deer?

Oh HELL YES, it's good enough to hunt deer, elk, anything else out here in North America.  It is indeed "lighter recoiling" by design, too, so it would be a great round to get a younger person into. :thumbup: