• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Long Range 308 ammo

Armed Eye Doc

I'll run it, brother.  That 185 Juggernaut is a bad bastard. I can do bolt and AR, if it fit's a 2.800" COL and makes it in a magazine. 

EDIT - I see a review that a guy was shooting it out of an AR...   I'm in for running it out of both platforms.

Edited by 98Z5V

This is about to get Spicy, Doc...   :banana:

For several years now, I've been loading the Hornady 178gr HPBT Match round.  It's just a plain, badass projectile to load for longer distances.  It excels at 850 yards and over.  I've been trying to NOT load Hornady 178gr ELD-Ms - though I love that projectile, in other calibers.  There's such a small jump in capability (of the projectile), that it wasn't worth it to me.  Well... Hell Yeah for the new 178 ELD-X - the expanding hunting projectile - it beats both the others.  That's worth a switch.  The BC for G1 and G7 are worth looking at...  I'll change my whole load development over to the ELD-X for this... Click it and it gets bigger...

415563179_Hornady178scompared.thumb.png.96f4d3e9fc836d7fbfe7843595515d01.png

Here's the Federal data, that includes that 185 Juggernaut...

1128073524_FederalHeavy308Winwith185Berger.thumb.png.82d226857da4a778fda1ed21220b1207.png

For distance, those G7 drag model numbers are where it's at - they're more accurate to plug into ballistics calculator - for distance - than the G1 drag model numbers.  

This is gonna get good, brother.  This will be a good ammo test, right here.  :hail:

I do, or did, M-14 Match rifle in competition back in the mid to late 1980's.   Back then at a match we all pulled our ammo (usually Lake City Match 308) from the same lot prior to heading to the range.  I also shot Bullseye (45ACP) to keep from having so much down time.  Of course you got to work in the pits as much as you wanted to!....LOL.

I'm sure quite a few things have changed since back then but I may have some "old school" information that might help others who are interested in that type of shooting.

Kind of interesting but back in the 1970's Federal ammo was on the lower end of the scale as far as quality, accuracy, etc.  I still remember when I first started long range shooting on varmints with my Remington 22/250 that Federal brass was crap.  Couldn't get but a couple of reloads out of it before it split or the primers just fell right out.  Not from overloading/pressure either, as other brands did fine.

I'd also mention here that the stock system had some Federal 12 gauge OO buck back then as well, and it was absolutely pure JUNK!  Not sure why but you could fire 5 rounds from an 870 at a target 25 yards away and be lucky to have a dozen pellets on the entire target.  Load up with WW and about 90 percent would be on target and well centered!

Good to see them stepping up their game these days......Cliff

Edited by Cliff R

3 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I do, or did, M-14 Match rifle in competition back in the mid to late 1980's.   Back then at a match we all pulled our ammo (usually Lake City Match 308) from the same lot prior to heading to the range.  I also shot Bullseye (45ACP) to keep from having so much down time.  Of course you got to work in the pits as much as you wanted to!....LOL.

I'm sure quite a few things have changed since back then but I may have some "old school" information that might help others who are interested in that type of shooting.

Kind of interesting but back in the 1970's Federal ammo was on the lower end of the scale as far as quality, accuracy, etc.  I still remember when I first started long range shooting on varmints with my Remington 22/250 that Federal brass was crap.  Couldn't get but a couple of reloads out of it before it split or the primers just fell right out.  Not from overloading/pressure either, as other brands did fine.

I'd also mention here that the stock system had some Federal 12 gauge OO buck back then as well, and it was absolutely pure JUNK!  Not sure why but you could fire 5 rounds from an 870 at a target 25 yards away and be lucky to have a dozen pellets on the entire target.  Load up with WW and about 90 percent would be on target and well centered!

Good to see them stepping up their game these days......Cliff

Cliff, I did much the same competition shooting during the 1970s and early 1980s after my time in military, but with a M1 Garand (3006) also shot a .45ACP 50' bullseye. now I have a new (2014) M1A NM rifle I shoot for fun, that can digest  Remington, LC , and mostly Federal match .308 from 145 to 175 grain ammo, it seems to prefer the 168 gr Federal Match for M1A. I wanted to see if Armed-I-Doc or 98 had shot some of the mentioned ammo in a M1A.

BTW, the LR 308 prefers the 145 gr. over the 168. Maybe it is because it is less expensive to shoot.

Edited by mrmackc

Cool, I shot in service matches for a few years when I was on staff at the small arms instructor school.  Had to give it up when I transferred out as it took too much time away from the new job and family.

Some shooters used Match grade M1 Garand's in 308 built by Navy armorers, others like myself used and preferred the M-14 built to Match specs.

I have a Match grade AR-15 that I've never fired.  Bought it turn key ready to go about 15 years ago but never moved forward with that deal.  All of the 308-AR's I've built shoot pretty well and my go-to load is the Barnes 175 grain bullet backed by 42 grains of Varget. 

We went thru about half a dozen different over the counter loads with those rifles early on and believe it or not several are really fond of Fusion 150 grain loads but I'm not sure why?  I also loaded up some old Sierra 150 grain soft points (flat base) with some old IMR 4320 power I had left over from yesteryear and those shoot really well in my DPMS and PSA 308 with a few groups out of the DPMS going nearly into a dime size group at 100 yards.

I really can't say enough good stuff about the DPMS, pretty darned good shooting rifle and EXCELLENT trigger right out of the box, things you wouldn't really expect at that price point.......Cliff

5 hours ago, mrmackc said:

I wanted to see if Armed-I-Doc or 98 had shot some of the mentioned ammo in a M1A.

I haven't shot a Match M1A in a long time, since I moved away from a buddy that had one of Rob Leatham's old competition guns.  What a badass gun that was.

For the ammo - I LOVE the Federal American Eagle M1A Match ammo.  It's cheap, and it's GREAT 168g  Match ammo.  This stuff:

005_91.JPG

I miss those days and to this day I still think back about how accurate those M-14's were.  They were built by precision craftsmen and if you weren't lobbing most of the rounds in the black at 1000 yards with a good many hits in the 10 ring and a few X's....you just weren't doing your part that day.........

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I haven't shot a Match M1A in a long time, since I moved away from a buddy that had one of Rob Leatham's old competition guns.  What a badass gun that was.

For the ammo - I LOVE the Federal American Eagle M1A Match ammo.  It's cheap, and it's GREAT 168g  Match ammo.  This stuff:

005_91.JPG

YES this is what shoots best in my M1A NM rifle.

Aany time I catch it on sale I BUY! I haven't been looking on SGAmmo, will start looking. .

Edited: I see that SGAmmo has it for less than $20 / 20 rounds.

I haven't shot this 7.62x51 168 OTM in my LR308 16.5" barrel, I did shoot some surplus 165 gn. ball but it didn't seem to shoot as well as the 145 Grain stuff.

How does it 168 OTM Match does it do in your AR10 or LR308s?

1397.jpg

Edited by mrmackc

26 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

How does it 168 OTM Match does it do in your AR10 or LR308s?

1397.jpg

Dollar for dollar, it would be a waste for me to buy other, more expensive match ammo - and barely have anything to show for it that I could measure in results.  It shoots great through the Big ARs, with the 1:10" twist barrels.  I haven't bought ammo for a long time, but when I did, I grabbed as much of this stuff as I could.  :thumbup:

I haven't tried any Match ammo in mine because I use them for hunting and looking for bullets that expand a little better.   Early on I grabbed up some PMC 308 ammo really cheap just to see how the weapons functioned and get them on paper.  It didn't group for chit in any of our rifles but gave us some decent brass for reloading........