• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's cerakote camo on my truck gun

392heminut

On 12/10/2019 at 4:33 AM, Cliff R said:

Nice work and great attention to detail.  I like the fact that some parts were left in black or green instead of just painting the entire rifle, makes it look much more professional....IMHO......

That thing was 100% disassembled, brother.  I strip all of them down that way for the paint.  Each little piece is "racked" on a string of wire (several strings), and painted individually.  I think with Larry's gun, with the scope mount parts and everything, I had about 7 or 8 racks of wire, for all the parts.  I had to mask the hell out of certain parts of that scope, to get that thing right. 

From start to finish, on a one-color gun, I can do that in about 6 hours, and that includes the prep time of the parts, the 1 hr Acetone soak, and the 1 hr gas-out afterwards.  Then you paint it, bake it, let it cool. It was a bitch painting the scope, but it was sooooo worth it.

A 2-color gun like that literally takes me all weekend to pull it off.  I did a pretty sweet 2-color 18" light Grendel and it came out quite badass.  Not as badass as Larry's gun, but it came out good.  I'm getting ready to Desert Tiger Stripe a bunch of my own stuff.  Here's that light Grendel info:

P1060317.JPG

" Each little piece is "racked" on a string of wire (several strings), and painted individually.  I think with Larry's gun, with the scope mount parts and everything, I had about 7 or 8 racks of wire, for all the parts.  I had to mask the hell out of certain parts of that scope, to get that thing right."

That's the difference between the professional approach and the quick/easy just spray it all down and let things sort themselves out deal.  Very nicely done and the attention to detail and time spent truly shows up in the end product....nice work!

When you strip it down and pain the parts individually and pick/choose which ones to color and the desired colors, you get a much better look all the way around...IMHO

I paint the engines we do here in similar fashion leaving the freeze plugs, bolt heads, etc in their natural finish.  Plus you see the edges of the gaskets.  Looks a LOT better than just finishing the assembly and attacking the entire thing with a rattle can.

One of those restoration TV shows does that paint the entire thing after fully assembled deal and they look like chit, and I don't care if that's the way the factory did them and we're trying to be politically correct, etc.  They would look 1000 percent better painting the parts individually then doing the assembly vs the going down the assembly line/mass production look.

I've also found that taking a small 1500 watt heater and warming up the parts removes moisture, and keeps the paint from wanting to run, plus much faster dry time and it seems to set up harder.

I've done a few rifles over the years with cammo paint in similar fashion, but mostly just cheap muzzle loaders and shotguns I didn't care a lot about.  You've got me thinking now about doing my 308-AR that I take out West Elk hunting.....but I might be afraid to put it down on top of a mountain to take a leak and not be able to find it!....LOL....

Dyno runs 002.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

Nice work Cliff! I've been into muscle cars my whole life (I have a 70 Cuda) and I can definitely appreciate the work you put into a paint job like that!:thumbup:

I guess that is why I was so blown away by the work Tom did on my gun, I understand the effort that goes into a job like that.

Thanks.

I can't imagine spending the time and attention to detail that I do on these engines, then after it's fully assembled tape off the intake and exhaust and walk up to it with a rattle can and spray then entire engine down with the same color engine paint.......but I see that done ALL the time in this hobby........

Doing one of these rifles is no different.  When I get around to doing mine it will get stripped down and the parts separated that I want painted and not, plus very carefully taping off certain parts if/as needed so it looks like someone cared about the end result as we've seen here........Cliff