• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lapping

NightStalker

On 12/17/2019 at 7:12 AM, jtallen83 said:

I have not found that, Aero and Matrix needed a good bit. Anderson has need some work, and two DPMS were just horrible. The only one I have had good from the start was a Vltor. This is both platforms. 

Very interesting about the Vltor receivers!!   Machined well then, and 'rigid' with more material too.  And on sale for $139 right now.

Hate to keep asking questions JT but did you like your uppers from them in all other respects.   I see the deflector is pinned/attached vs part of the forging.  

And just of interest, since it's the first I've seen... they make an upper with fixed hand guard.   Don't know that I'd want one but unique, eh.  

59 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

did you like your uppers from them in all other respects.

It hasn't been used yet, fell into it secondhand for a good price, sort of. What I see is real nice but even on sale can't say I will pay the price for another, never had a problem with a $29.99 Andersen upper. Maybe it will shoot lights out and send me down a rabbit hole. :laffs:

1 hour ago, SgtDog0311 said:

they make an upper with fixed hand guard. 

Armalite did similar for a time, SPR (Special Purpose Rifle) Mod 1, always wanted one just never enough to pay the extra.

https://www.ammoland.com/2010/02/look-at-the-armalite-special-purpose-spr-mod-1-rifle/

I still build them like i was taught in the Army in Armorers school.  I ad a little here and there like lapping the receiver and trigger jobs on basic triggers but keep it basic and simple. 

My question is after using locTite to bed the barrel, how hard is it when you need to remove the barrel?

Ive seen uppers amd barrels fused together on GI M16 and M4s, i cant imagine being able to remove it after locTite 

9 hours ago, NightStalker said:

My question is after using locTite to bed the barrel, how hard is it when you need to remove the barrel?

Did that twice with loctite 609 no problem. One had only been on a few days another for near a year. Could be my surface prep is not the best but it was filling gaps so mission accomplished. 

Edited by jtallen83
added 609 for clarity

NightStalker... that was a question/concern I had in mind when I mentioned doing what I could to limit that excess squeezing out around that flange down inside that "Enhanced" fixture.    I plan on spreading the loctite thin as practical for that reason.   Couple thousands ain't much before you start plowing it towards and over the extension flange.  Should be interesting.   

12 hours ago, NightStalker said:

Ive seen uppers amd barrels fused together on GI M16 and M4s, i cant imagine being able to remove it after locTite 

You can't really compare the 609 to Loc-Tite Blue and Red - the 242 and 272 threadlocker.  It performs a different job.  It doesn't make taking barrels out of the upper a giant PITA job.  It just bonds cylindrical parts.  They don't slide right out, but it's not a bitch to work with, either.  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...