• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Primary Arms Fixed 5x scope blems

98Z5V

This is a badass scope.  I have one on the 6.5G M4.  PA is blowing out some blems at $249, and that's from a regular price of $329.  Black or FDE, your choice.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-gen-ii-5x-compact-prism-scope-with-red-green-illuminated-acss-reticle-flat-dark-earth-blem

https://www.primaryarms.com/blem-pac5x-genii-acss-5.56

They include zero data for Grendel - even though it's not in the title of the scope itself (it's in the instruction manual).

1409380089_PA5xPrismscopezeros.thumb.png.3b0119b843bed69f7e992600aa54d063.png

P1080415.thumb.JPG.06f0759d25462ef6381b0eb89bee2f34.JPG

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is a badass scope.  I have one on the 6.5G M4.  PA is blowing out some blems at $249, and that's from a regular price of $329.  Black or FDE, your choice.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-gen-ii-5x-compact-prism-scope-with-red-green-illuminated-acss-reticle-flat-dark-earth-blem

https://www.primaryarms.com/blem-pac5x-genii-acss-5.56

They include zero data for Grendel - even though it's not in the title of the scope itself (it's in the instruction manual).

1409380089_PA5xPrismscopezeros.thumb.png.3b0119b843bed69f7e992600aa54d063.png

P1080415.thumb.JPG.06f0759d25462ef6381b0eb89bee2f34.JPG

How do you like the 6.5 Grendel? 

13 hours ago, GRA said:

How do you like the 6.5 Grendel? 

The most perfect, efficient cartridge ever developed for the small-frame AR, ever.  And, I can compare that to the .224 Valkyrie, as well - only one of those, and there will only be one. 

9 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

He has 4 or 5 of them, if that tells you anything.

This is truth.  I have 5 myself - they BREED!  :lmao:  Built a very sweet, very special one for @Matt.Cross, too.  I built a Vakyrie to test "the hype" that's out there about how it outperforms the Grendel in every way...  That's not true, when you look at it closely.  The Valk with 88gr Hornady ELD-M Match ammo does indeed have a couple clicks less drop at 850 yards, and it is accurate as all hell - just like the Grendel running 123gr Hornady ELD-Ms is.  The big difference for me is that the ballistics are almost identical, I'm delivering a 123gr Grendel round on target with a little (insignificant) more drop - and that's 35 grains more projectile-mass over that 88gr round. Both are Hornady ELD-M Match projectiles.  I'll take the Grendel, every time.  :thumbup:

Built the first 18" Grendel, and it was SPR-ish, Mk12 as I could get it as far as important parts.  Not a Mk12, but "SPR" instead.  Stellar performance at 850 yards.  Decided to build a short one, so I did a 12.5" Grendel.  When it accurately, repeatably, went 850 yards with a 4x Leupold scope...  every time...  I was sold, for good, on that cartridge.  Then, they started breeding...   :laffs:

For what it's worth, and all the Valk-Hype out there about it being some wonder-gun that's supersonic to 1300 yards...   It's not.  Hornady Black 88gr Match ammo, straight from the factory, is supersonic to 1100 yards, from an 18" barrel.  You'll need a LOOONG barrel to keep that thing supersonic to 1300 yards...

12.5" Grendel with 123 handloads is supersonic to 900 yards.

16" Mk12 Mod H Grendel with that same load is supersonic to 950 yards.

18" SPR Grendel - same load again - is supersonic to 1000 yards.

I'll take the Grendel, and the 35gr-heavier projectile...   :thumbup:

I don't know what load that the Valk-Crowd is hyping/claiming to be supersonic to 1300 yards, but it's not a 75gr Hornady or 77gr Sierra projo.  It's not the 88gr Hornady projo.  It's not the 90gr Sierra MatchKing, either.  If it's the 95gr Sierra MatchKing - that thing needs a 1:6.5" twist barrel to stabilize it.  The common 1:7" twist Valk barrels that are out there in the wild won't stabilize that projectile...   My $0.02 on it all... 

11 minutes ago, GRA said:

How do they both compare to that Sharps caliber you built a year or so ago?  How’s that one turning out? 

What parts are proprietary to the Grendel; bolt, mags, barrel, etc.? 

I took that 25-45 out to 850 yards, but it was a challenge with the scope I had on it. PA 4-14 mil-dot scope, with a straight mount (Aero Precision) and no MOA built into that mount.  With that straight-up scope mounting, I had about 10 mils of drop travel in the scope, in it's internal adjustment ability.  Those shots on the 850 target required 17.5 mils of drop, for my 90gr Sierra Game King handloads - and they're moving, too.  It was all experimentation, beyond those 10 mils of scope travel...  It was holding mils in the reticle, until I got it there.  It sucked to figure it all out, but once it was on - it was on.

If I run a 10 MOA mount, that'll give be back about 3 mils of adjustment in the scope.  20 MOA mount will about get me there, with close to 7 more mils of drop in the scope. 20 MOA mount will just about get me where I need to be, just with dialing the elevation turret, at 850 yards.  If I shift the thing to a 200-yard zero instead of a 100-yard zero, the 20 MOA mount will definitely get me on target at 850, dialing-only.  

That 25-45 is a beast out to 500 yards, on that 90 SGK load.  That's all I ever wanted from it, in the beginning - split a coyote at 500 yards.  After that range test on it, I want it to do better out there at more distance, though...   That's gonna come down to scope mounts and zero distance...

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

I took that 25-45 out to 850 yards, but it was a challenge with the scope I had on it. PA 4-14 mil-dot scope, with a straight mount (Aero Precision) and no MOA built into that mount.  With that straight-up scope mounting, I had about 10 mils of drop travel in the scope, in it's internal adjustment ability.  Those shots on the 850 target required 17.5 mils of drop, for my 90gr Sierra Game King handloads - and they're moving, too.  It was all experimentation, beyond those 10 mils of scope travel...  It was holding mils in the reticle, until I got it there.  It sucked to figure it all out, but once it was on - it was on.

If I run a 10 MOA mount, that'll give be back about 3 mils of adjustment in the scope.  20 MOA mount will about get me there, with close to 7 more mils of drop in the scope. 20 MOA mount will just about get me where I need to be, just with dialing the elevation turret, at 850 yards.  If I shift the thing to a 200-yard zero instead of a 100-yard zero, the 20 MOA mount will definitely get me on target at 850, dialing-only.  

That 25-45 is a beast out to 500 yards, on that 90 SGK load.  That's all I ever wanted from it, in the beginning - split a coyote at 500 yards.  After that range test on it, I want it to do better out there at more distance, though...   That's gonna come down to scope mounts and zero distance...

😳 👍

My biggest accomplishment for the 25-45 will be to put the time in on my 100gr Barnes TSX-BT projectiles, and get that load squared away.  I played with them, but I need to do alot more work with them.  Once I solve that one, those 90 SGKs will be a thing of the past.  Those Barnes 100gr TSXs will be the SHIIT...   :laffs:

32 minutes ago, GRA said:

What parts are proprietary to the Grendel; bolt, mags, barrel, etc.? 

Exactly.  Bolt, barrel and mags. Nothing more.  Everything else is small-frame AR.  The best mags out there are E-Lander mags.  Honorable mention (and damn good mags) are ASC Grendel mags.

For the BCG (and bolt), nothing other than ToolCraft.

Edited by 98Z5V

35 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Exactly.  Bolt, barrel and mags. Nothing more.  Everything else is small-frame AR.  The best mags out there are E-Lander mags.  Honorable mention (and damn good mags) are ASC Grendel mags.

For the BCG (and bolt), nothing other than ToolCraft.

👍👍👍

39 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

My biggest accomplishment for the 25-45 will be to put the time in on my 100gr Barnes TSX-BT projectiles, and get that load squared away.  I played with them, but I need to do alot more work with them.  Once I solve that one, those 90 SGKs will be a thing of the past.  Those Barnes 100gr TSXs will be the SHIIT...   :laffs:

25-45 is large frame or still small frame? 

5 minutes ago, GRA said:

25-45 is large frame or still small frame? 

AR15, brother.  Small-frame AR.  It is a bad bastard, over the 5.56 round.  :hail:

Barrel change only.  Same mags, same bolt/BCG.  It's just a barrel change... 

You neck the 5.56 cases up to .25 caliber, and you're done.  It's easier than converting to .300BLK.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

AR15, brother.  Small-frame AR.  It is a bad bastard, over the 5.56 round.  :hail:

Barrel change only.  Same mags, same bolt/BCG.  It's just a barrel change... 

You neck the 5.56 cases up to .25 caliber, and you're done.  It's easier than converting to .300BLK.  :thumbup:

COOL ... thanks 👍