• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The Colt Python is back

I've been a Python fan since I shot my first one in 1976. I bought and carried a blued 4" Python at the start of my career as a cop and later on let that one get away from me. Now, I have a 6" blued Python and a 6" stainless 44 Mag. Anaconda residing in my safe. I know where my old 4" Python is but the guy who has it (a good friend) doesn't want to let it go and I can't really blame him.

Anyway, Colt has re-engineered the Python and is bringing back! The lockwork is beefier (the old models could develop timing issues after only a few hundred rounds of full magnum loads) with less moving parts. These guns are going to be shooters! 6" and 4&1/4" stainless models starting out, with some form of dark finish (blued  or black nitride is the word) to follow. I hope they do the black nitride instead of the bluing, it's much more durable  and makes more sense. Colt will never do the Royal Blue again that they were famous for, it would cost too much! These are going to be working guns and the black nitride looks good and holds up much better. There's a lot of back and forth on the Colt forum about these guns not being real Pythons. They look like a Python and say Python on them and Colt calls them Pythons, they are Pythons, just like the new Dodge Challengers are real Dodge Challengers even though they are totally different than a 1970 Dodge Challenger! As for the black nitride finish, would you put bias ply tires on a new Challenger just because that's what the originals had?

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/python/370319-python-2020-a.html

They MSRP at $1499 but when they hit the shelves (6" only right now and they didn't last long) they were going as low as $1350. There are sellers already auctioning them on Gunbroker and they are being bid up to anywhere from $2k to as high as $3k! All I have to say about that is a fool and their money are soon parted. Colt is in for the long haul with this gun, it's not a limited run! I'm going to hold out for the dark finish 4&1/4" model and should be able to pick it up in the $1300 price range, maybe even lower, I'm not in a rush and the wife has even endorsed buying it!:banana::thumbup:

Sweet! Those Pythons were great shooters back in the day. When I got my original 357 Mag, it was between a model 28 S &W and a Python. My bank account back then could afford the Model 29 so that was what I got, but that Python was/is a work of art. Had some regrets.

12 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Sweet! Those Pythons were great shooters back in the day. When I got my original 357 Mag, it was between a model 28 S &W and a Python. My bank account back then could afford the Model 29 so that was what I got, but that Python was/is a work of art. Had some regrets.

Now you can buy a new one brother!:thumbup:

• 2 months later...

My dad had one he carried before he retired from the pd. I loved that thing and wish I could have acquired it but he sold it to a fellow officer when he retired. I always wanted one but they always go for a premium and never opted to go that route. May have to pick a new one up. I only have 2 wheel guns in my arsenal an old 3 screw Ruger single six and a cheap taurus 38. Time to expand after the panic dies down.

Just wait it out. Most of us are old enough to have seen this shiit before ... it's all on a pendulum. The pendulum swings one way and everybody freaks out, you can't afford ammo (or find toilet paper), then a little while later the pendulum swings the other way and it's back to reasonably priced stuff again, and plenty of it. Stock up then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 9:36 AM, Sharpshooter said:

Just wait it out. Most of us are old enough to have seen this shiit before ... it's all on a pendulum. The pendulum swings one way and everybody freaks out, you can't afford ammo (or find toilet paper), then a little while later the pendulum swings the other way and it's back to reasonably priced stuff again, and plenty of it. Stock up then.

What the hell does that have to do with the release of the new Colt Python??!!!!

48 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Only that prices are going up right now. They'll be more affordable later, when the panic dies down.

I agree! The virus panic doesn't have anything to do with the 'new' Python, most of the idiots that are panicking don't even know about the new Python. The inflated prices for it are due to it being a new version of an old classic and a limited release and has nothing to do with the current firearms/ammo panic. You are right about the pendulum swinging the other way though, wait it out and the street prices WILL drop below MSRP. I kind of figure it will probably be around the middle of next year when that happens.

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

You are right about the pendulum swinging the other way though, wait it out and the street prices WILL drop below MSRP. I kind of figure it will probably be around the middle of next year when that happens.

It'll be sold out before prices drop.  Hell, it's almost sold out right now, and you can't find them.  Smart marketing.  :thumbup:

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It'll be sold out before prices drop.  Hell, it's almost sold out right now, and you can't find them.  Smart marketing.  :thumbup:

The first run, 6" barrels, was 3,000 and sold out within 2 weeks The second run of 3,000 is supposed to be 4" barrels and was supposed to come out around this time. I've heard of a few showing up at dealers but that's about it. I'm buying a 4" but not until supply catches up with demand and the street price drops below MSRP, which is $1499! I'm holding out for $1300, I'm a patient man!😁