• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Groupings not playing nice

Cinders

10 hours ago, Cliff R said:

It's when you go to the standing position where you really start seeing some HUGE deviations in the scores, and I suppose it's still like that in 2020........Cliff

Oh, it is, brother.

Last year during the High Angle training, @Matt.Cross made it his personal SPECIFIC point that he would shoot every single target from the prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing positions - and he did it and hit every one.  That was Commendable.  :hail:

Had similar erratic accuracy issue with a new build once. When taking it apart to see what I could see I noticed a small mark on the gas block and corresponding mark inside the rail. It had a business card thickness clearence but evidently the barrel whipped enough to make it touch the rail, swapped for a smaller gas block and issues went away. Now it could also have been a barrel nut or other assembly issue but since it shot fine after putting it back together I quit looking.

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me to this day how many folks do NOT practice with their hunting rifles from the off-hand position.  I'll bet 90 percent just get them dialed in pretty close at 100 yards or so from a pretty solid bench/sand bags, then off on their hunting trip they go.  It's pretty rare to encounter big game where you will be able to shoot them from the sitting or prone position with a perfect rest and have time to set-up for the shot.  Every single time I've encountered big bulls in Colorado they are moving pretty quickly thru heavy cover and you only have seconds to get on them, determine if they are legal, and put a round or two into the good stuff before they disappear over the horizon never to be seen again.

What doesn't help is that every single show I watch on TV shows big bulls standing around without a care in the World while hunters have nearly FOREVER to get set-up on them.  I suspect they are on a ranch shooting pet bulls that have been spoon fed by the ranchers hired help since birth.   Maybe it's not quite that easy but if you are hunting public land out West fully expect the big bulls to be either hunkered down in chit so thick you can't crawl thru it, or WAY up on a shelf where it would take you all day to try to get up that high to get set up on them.

In any case sorry to get a little off-track.  It still helps immensely to be using equipment that is dead solid reliable and punching the tightest groups you can muster from it to at least take that deal out of the equation so you know when you missed the only thing you can blame is the jerk behind the trigger!.........Cliff