• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CatFood's kommiefornia 6.5cm build.

CatFood

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I used to drive long haul. Pulled into a Union 76 Truck Stop in Montgomery, AL. Parked next to another driver from the same company I drove for. We did the usual wave and "how ya doin'" nonverbal stuff but then I saw this young woman climb into his cab. They talked for a minute or two, then she peeled all her clothes off. Not bad looking, I thought. Then he pulled open the curtain between the driver's area and the sleeper. The naked young woman immediately bailed out of the truck, naked as the day she was born, and ran off. I met up with the driver in the restaurant a little later and asked him about it. He said, "She offered herself for $20.00. I opened up the sleeper curtain and asked my wife, "Honey, do you think she's worth $20.00? And the girl just ran out of my truck!" Sometimes, the weird stuff happens. That's what they call life.

At least it wasn’t coco.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was finally able to pick up some 6.5cm ammo. A case of hornady 140 grn,  America eagle 120 grn and prime match 130 grn. I am worried a bit about them as I don't know how the primers will react in a semi auto. Only took 2.5 hours to get into the store ugh. But damn the shelves were empty and price gouging was severe. 

So far it dry functions good, bolt catches catch and bcg moves freely. Just waiting on Pacific tool head space gauges. The wait is killing me.

I should have mentioned in my post Pacific tool and gauge is over a month out on my order, so I had to go a different route, clymer gauges instead. That would have been nice to know BEFORE I ordered from pacific tool. 

But im excited, I can finally take her out to shoot.

I got the clymers from brownells, I ordered directly from ptg. I saw that brownells has the ptg (backordered I think) but they were very expensive. Some time last year I bought ar lapping tools from ptg, and they shipped quickly. But I know stuff is crazy now, I just would have liked to be informed they were that far backordered. 

• 4 months later...

Long awaited update lol. Finally was able to make it to the range (finally). Got the bcg dripping wet, loaded 1 round and it went off without a hitch. Got it on paper (sitelite is awesome) then started the long process of break in. Zero feeding issues, now for ejection issues though sigh....it would extract perfectly but the cartridge would be stuck at an angle. Jammed up a few cases because of that. So I just figured it's break in issues. Sight it in at 200 yards, then the winds started howling so just kept putting rounds through the gun. 

End of the trip, I realised I probably over lubed it as the bcg was super draggy. Put around 150 rounds through it. Honestly dont know at this time if the ar-6.5 will ever get to the range again as finding ammo locally is really difficult now. 

Anywho, I found what was causing the case to not eject. Under the extraction claw the edge is super sharp, like cut my nail sharp. So a quick hit of a small file and buff it and now zero ejection issues. The munched cases were jammed into the front of the ejection port.

There is one other issue I see. Some wear/gouging on the bolt lugs. That I can't figure what might be causing that. Maybe a jp enhanced bolt will fix it? I'll upload a few pics of everything.

20210118_151031.jpg

20210118_120650.jpg

20210118_150944.jpg

20210118_120729.jpg

20210118_120737.jpg

20210118_122452.jpg

20210118_151611.jpg

Edited by CatFood

4 hours ago, CatFood said:

The munched cases were jammed into the front of the ejection port.

20210118_120737.jpg

Gas pressure - not enough of it.  Describe the recoil system details and the gas systems details again...   Your gas tube is long enough, I can see that in the pic you posted...   :thumbup:

@98Z5V Thanks for the input! Recoil system is as follows:

Heavy buffers XH carbine buffer 8.6oz, 3.25" length, vseven a5/308 receiver extension 7.75" depth, armalite 308 spring 13.5" length. Issue was from 1st shot to end of day (gas block fully open at 4.5 full turns) final turns 3.75 at end of day. Followed SA's instructions to a T. Mushed case happened every mag at least once or twice. 

Gas:

Salient arms adjustable gas block .936", rifle length, 22" BA barrel, aero bcg. Edit to add I dont know the gas port size.

I had to really yank off the cartridge from the bolt face. I'll add pics of the case face. There was a really sharp edge right under the extractor that was hanging the case up. Bolt locks back every time the mag is empty. My mistake was not getting a pic of the issue. 

Any idea on the bolt lug marring? There was tiny metal shavings in the barrel extension when I was cleaning it. 

First 2 pics are from munched case (ejector mark, and extractor mark) rest are from a normal ejection (ejector, extractor and deflector marks)

20210118_201106.jpg

20210118_201129.jpg

20210118_201230.jpg

20210118_201253.jpg

20210118_201306.jpg

Edited by CatFood

55 minutes ago, CatFood said:

There was a really sharp edge right under the extractor that was hanging the case up. Bolt locks back every time the mag is empty. My mistake was not getting a pic of the issue. 

Any idea on the bolt lug marring? There was tiny metal shavings in the barrel extension when I was cleaning it.

Those tiny brass shavings are gonna happen on every single new build out there, until you break the gun in.  No way around it.  People freak about it sometimes, but it's normal.  It's gonna happen.

I've seen really sharp edges on extractors mess up 6.5 Grendel operation before - made posts about it.  Filing down the "claws" on the edges fixes that, and it seems like you fixed that.

That is ALOT of buffer for a 6.5 Creedmoor, brother.  ALOT.  I know I stated "not enough gas" in my post above, but "too much recoil system" can exhibit the exact same symptoms.

Try something for me, if you can...   do you have a standard AR15 H3 Carbine buffer laying around?  Toss that thing in there, and try it out.  See how that H3 buffer cycles.  That's gonna be 5.4oz.  Give that a shot - literally - don't change anything else but that buffer, and see what they does for the cycling, and the brass condition.  Try to keep track of where the brass flies, too - that'll tell us what needs to be done with the adjustable gas block settings.  

Edited by 98Z5V

I don't have a h3 buffer, but I have a ton of weights I can play with to get around 5.4oz. I don't know when I'll be able to get out to shoot again, but I'll try to get out next week. Huge wind event here for the rest of the week. 

Slowing down the bcg to much I'm guessing? The shavings in the barrel extension were both brass and steel. Steel was from the bolt lugs. There was a ton more brass then any of my newly built ar15's but I expected that. Time to hunt for more 6.5cm ammo. 

Thanks again for that info @98Z5V

24 minutes ago, CatFood said:

I don't have a h3 buffer, but I have a ton of weights I can play with to get around 5.4oz. I don't know when I'll be able to get out to shoot again, but I'll try to get out next week. Huge wind event here for the rest of the week. 

Slowing down the bcg to much I'm guessing? The shavings in the barrel extension were both brass and steel. Steel was from the bolt lugs. There was a ton more brass then any of my newly built ar15's but I expected that. Time to hunt for more 6.5cm ammo. 

Thanks again for that info @98Z5V

Grab any AR15 buffer you have, if you have weights to use.  Standard AR15 buffer, all 3 steel weights, is 3.0oz.  Replace one with tungsten, you're at 3.8oz.  Two tungstens = 4.6oz.  3 tungstens = 5.4oz. 

I think it might be slowing down the BCG too much, yes - and that's why my initial reaction was "not enough gas..."   Yeah, It's not enough gas to drive that 8.6oz buffer, but the rest of your recoil system is STRAIGHT, man.  :thumbup:  Don't change ANY of that other stuff in there, in that recoil system.

Those shavings - those are gonna happen in these.  Assured, that's normal, for these kind of parts. If you bought a full-on match gun, that was completely blue-printed - all edges would have been dehorned in the extension before you bought it, and you'd see less - but some would still be there...  Don't sweat that part of what's going on - don't even let it worry you...   :thumbup:

Rock on @98Z5V yep had a H buffer sitting around so tossed in 2 tungstens, though they are heavy buffers so they are a hair heavier. 5.57oz is as close as I can get. I was a bit worried about those shavings (steel ones) as I was like oh snap....wait.... lordy. But I'll toss this buffer in and attempt to get out next week to test more. If this all works out then a h3 will be ordered. Not going to touch anything else on this except replace some horrid titanium take down pins. Thanks for the help, will post up with updates. 

4 minutes ago, CatFood said:

Rock on @98Z5V yep had a H buffer sitting around so tossed in 2 tungstens, though they are heavy buffers so they are a hair heavier. 5.57oz is as close as I can get.

That 5.57oz will work, for the test - we just want to see if it's smashing up the brass, at the case mouths, like that other one was. 

For what it's worth, I've got about 9.5oz of buffer weight/reciprocating weight,  running an 18.5" .308 Winchester AR, with my handloads, and that thing is damn near as I can get to perfection.  Drops all the brass at 3 o'clock, about a foot away from the ejection port - right by my side...   It's all in what the gun wants...   :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That 5.57oz will work, for the test - we just want to see if it's smashing up the brass, at the case mouths, like that other one was. 

For what it's worth, I've got about 9.5oz of buffer weight/reciprocating weight,  running an 18.5" .308 Winchester AR, with my handloads, and that thing is damn near as I can get to perfection.  Drops all the brass at 3 o'clock, about a foot away from the ejection port - right by my side...   It's all in what the gun wants...   :thumbup:

Word! I'll remember to toss in the buffers / weights I have to adjust if needed. I'll also reset the gas block to full gas. Now that I think about it, I was getting a hard recoil impulse when shooting it. This challenging puzzle is quite fun if I say myself. 😀

Just craped myself! Found a somewhat local range (2 hours away) that has a 1000y range! Holy smokes, thought I was stuck with 200-300 yards. It's the same place I did my appleseeds at! Whoot. Cali tactical academy, never shot there besides the appleseed. Anyone in socal shoot there? I can't tell you how happy I am to find this out!

On a good note, I sold some ski gear so I have the $ to get a true H3 buffer with some left over for ammo if I can find it. I needed the H buffer in my other rifle now. Phew. So it all works out for now. The range trip is postponed for a bit more as this wind is insane, then back it up with possible rain for a week. Good news in that part, reduced fire hazard. 

5 hours ago, CatFood said:

Gas port size is .073" according to ballistic advantage. 

Have you measured that to verify?   Things happen... 

On 8/10/2020 at 8:21 PM, CatFood said:

Superlative arms .936" adjustable gas block

Aero rifle length gas tube

Ballistic advantage 6.5cm 22" heavy fluted .936 and rifle gas system

That gas port size sounds right, based on the barrel specs you listed.  :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Have you measured that to verify?   Things happen... 

I have not yet, depends if the barrel was built on a Monday or Friday lol. I'll locate some numeric wire drill bits to check. Though I don't think the gas port size is a issue as it does lock the bolt back on every last round. But my OCD is killing me so I'll check anyways lol. 

About middle of the days range trip I was dicking around with closing the gas port, 2.5 turns caused the bolt to not lock back or pick up a round.

Thanks for always helping/commenting on my posts. Glade @Albroswift sent me over here for this build. Rad place for sure. 

1 hour ago, CatFood said:

Thanks for always helping/commenting on my posts. Glade @Albroswift sent me over here for this build. Rad place for sure. 

We're a collective group of Blind Monkeys, brother - but we still find a banana once in awhile...   :laffs::thumbup:

We'll get it right - after awhile...  

Edited by 98Z5V

The H3 arrived late last week, and today I scored 2 boxes of 6.5cm. So I can go to the range to test a bit more. Also checked headspace on the jp hp bolt I have and it's all good. I just hope I can get it all dialed in with those 2 boxes of ammo. I don't have the cash to buy anymore ammo. It's insane how much they are charging for ammo.

22 hours ago, CatFood said:

t's insane how much they are charging for ammo

When things quiet down and components are back in stock you will enjoy handling for it. Lots of good 6.5 data out there.

Have 2 ladders loaded up myself just waiting for the next trip to the range. 123's and 147's. Don't remember the data offhand but it is probably one of the Hodgdon magnum powders, 4350 or 4831, use those in a lot of recipes. 

Sweet, yes been reading about the many different characteristics of the various projectiles in the 6.5 range. Same with the 9mm and 223/5.56. I hope it doesn't take to long to settle down, or at least the avaiabality of reloading stuff. It also gives me some time to save up some coin.