• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CatFood's kommiefornia 6.5cm build.

CatFood

Well as the title says, I'm building my first large framed ar10. In 6.5 creedmoor variety. Was going to be a medium/light weight build, but due to supply shortages and what is available in my budget I had to gain some weight lol. So the parts are as follows:

Aero upper and lower set - black in color

Aero atlas one-s 15" handguard

Superlative arms .936" adjustable gas block

Aero rifle length gas tube

Ballistic advantage 6.5cm 22" heavy fluted .936 and rifle gas system

Witt machine muzzle rise eliminator

Strike industries fancy featurless fin grip

Strike industries strike switch safety

2a titanium takedown pins

POF drop in trigger

Vseven titanium mag release

Vseven lightweight forward assist

Vseven titanium port door and hinge

Vseven 2055 308/A5 extension tube

Vseven titanium castle nut/end plate

Springco green buffer spring

Heavy buffers XH 8.5oz ar15 carbine buffer and stainless weight sets (waiting for delivery)

Aero bcg (waiting on delivery)

Luth ar mba3 butt stock in fixed position with strikes stock lock

Magpul mbus pro front iron sight

Kac rear usmc micro sight

Radion raptor sl charging handle

Nothing fancy for the build, lapped and bedded the barrel with loctite 620 torqued to 40 ftlbs with a thin shim. Currently chatting with a few members in introductions regarding gas port/dwell info for this build. Want this to be a fun gun to shoot, with the capability to reach out to some far distances.

I haven't decided on a scope or mount yet, don't know if I want to run a 10 or 20 moa mount either. Waiting on a few more parts to finish her up and head space check. Been building this for Almost a year. 

20200806_083018.jpg

20200806_083049.jpg

20200810_194510.jpg

20200810_201948.jpg

20200810_201421.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, CatFood said:

I haven't decided on a scope or mount yet, don't know if I want to run a 10 or 20 moa mount either. Waiting on a few more parts to finish her up and head space check. Been building this for Almost a year.

With a decent scope with enough internal elevation adjustment, a 10moa mount will be fine for most distances that most people shoot - what's the ultimate distance that you'll wring this out at?  LaRue LT-158 is my favorite mount for these.  If you really want to stretch it, to it's max capability, depending on the scope you choose, you might need a 20moa mount.  Scope internal adjustments, mount cant, and what you'll really do with it - those all go hand-in-hand.

10moa will serve you just fine for most modern, decent scopes, to 1k yards.

1k is what my goal is, I may just "borrow" my vortex viper gen 1 pst 4-16 from my bolt 308, but that is probably way overkill for this ar10. But can't beat free either, well not having to buy another scope that is. I'll look into that LaRue mount, haven't dug into mounts yet. 

I am going to do basic function/break in with irons for the time being. I like irons since I completed a project appleseed event. But my eyes are ancient and I wear wine bottle thick glasses, so scopes help. But nothing beats the feeling of ringing steel at distance with irons.

This should be quite fun.

11 minutes ago, CatFood said:

since I completed a project appleseed event.

You ROCK!...  You have no idea how much I advocate this event - "GO SHOOT AN APPLESEED, FUCKERS!!!"  - and I do it routinely. 

Nobody listens.  I was an Appleseed Instructor, before life overcame time.  I did it for 3 years.

People don't get it, or they laugh when I recommend it - it's the best rifle-skills training you can get, for near-free.   To the dumbasses that don't listen, or think they're "above" this...   :bitchslap:    Not only will it teach you some SERIOUS Marksmanship skills - it'll teach you a little bit of important information about this country... 

ALL you fuckers are missing out, if you don't drag your lazy asses out to an Appleseed Shoot near you.  That's on you, to figure out the time.  They're everywhere... 

Click this, find one near YOU, and drag your dumb ass to one...   :thumbup:

You fuckers never listen, though - you're too "good" to do one of these - you're already "above it..."   <<<That's a mistake, in your judgment... 

Hit it:

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/

Edited by 98Z5V

@98Z5V Thanks! I had put off doing a appleseed even for so long, then I decided to do it and it was well worth it! So for those that are on the edge, let me give you that push you need to go to a appleseed event!

I've attended 2 appleseeds, both in Piru CA. My first seed was with my .22lr marlin 795 with a scope. I didn't realise I truly didn't know the basics or shooting/marksmanship. When I stuck to the basics with the drills they teach that is when I saw true improvement. And all throughout the 2 day class, US history was told, how events play out and what was done to win our freedom. At the end of the last day, I was able to qualify Rifleman with a score of 212! Our great instructor pushed me to come back and qualify with irons and a center fire rifle.

I took that challenge! That's when the basics were hammered into me more, and the biggest was dealing with recoil. You can mitigate most if not all recoil through proper sling and body position usage. I was using a ar15 in .223 wylde, it was so much more difficult then the rim fire. Unfortunately I was having sight in issues the first day. Here is a big tip for anyone who wants to attend a appleseed. Set your rifle up before you attend a seed! I was playing with sling position on the first day (I though I had set it up properly when I took it to the range, but I needed to move it rearward). It was my mistake completely, I had put the sling mount right under the gas block and I didn't catch that one of the mlock locks had pressed on the gas block causing me to loose my zero.

After that was fixxed I spend the last few AQT's sighting in on Saturday. Come Sunday I was read to roll! I always elect to camp on the range, well how many times can you camp on a shooting range? Sunday mid day, I requalified with a score of 227 and 223. At this point I had a small crowd cheering me on to reach that elusive distinguished Rifleman tab. Unfortunately 227 was the closest I got, I blame peer pressure lol, no it was me not adhering to the basics and rushing. How thing can go from good to bad rushing things.

I also decided to take the orange hat of destiny (instructor in training). Unfortunately life happened and I haven't been able to proceed further with project appleseed with IIT. I was going back to a appleseed but covid happened, then rioting and now ammo is so over priced and sparse that I just can't quite afford to go. Not to mention I have to prepare, my current job is shutting down the location I work at so any extra cash is saved.

Well all I can say is get off your butt and go to a appleseed event! It is 100% worth it, it truly is, and a bit of a moving moment. So keep America's heritage going and plant that appleseed!

-Mike

Edited by CatFood

2 hours ago, CatFood said:

@98Z5V Thanks! I had put off doing a appleseed even for so long, then I decided to do it and it was well worth it! So for those that are on the edge, let me give you that push you need to go to a appleseed event!

I've attended 2 appleseeds, both in Piru CA. My first seed was with my .22lr marlin 795 with a scope. I didn't realise I truly didn't know the basics or shooting/marksmanship. When I stuck to the basics with the drills they teach that is when I saw true improvement. And all throughout the 2 day class, US history was told, how events play out and what was done to win our freedom. At the end of the last day, I was able to qualify Rifleman with a score of 212! Our great instructor pushed me to come back and qualify with irons and a center fire rifle.

I took that challenge! That's when the basics were hammered into me more, and the biggest was dealing with recoil. You can mitigate most if not all recoil through proper sling and body position usage. I was using a ar15 in .223 wylde, it was so much more difficult then the rim fire. Unfortunately I was having sight in issues the first day. Here is a big tip for anyone who wants to attend a appleseed. Set your rifle up before you attend a seed! I was playing with sling position on the first day (I though I had set it up properly when I took it to the range, but I needed to move it rearward). It was my mistake completely, I had put the sling mount right under the gas block and I didn't catch that one of the mlock locks had pressed on the gas block causing me to loose my zero.

After that was fixxed I spend the last few AQT's sighting in on Saturday. Come Sunday I was read to roll! I always elect to camp on the range, well how many times can you camp on a shooting range? Sunday mid day, I requalified with a score of 227 and 223. At this point I had a small crowd cheering me on to reach that elusive distinguished Rifleman tab. Unfortunately 227 was the closest I got, I blame peer pressure lol, no it was me not adhering to the basics and rushing. How thing can go from good to bad rushing things.

I also decided to take the orange hat of destiny (instructor in training). Unfortunately life happened and I haven't been able to proceed further with project appleseed with IIT. I was going back to a appleseed but covid happened, then rioting and now ammo is so over priced and sparse that I just can't quite afford to go. Not to mention I have to prepare, my current job is shutting down the location I work at so any extra cash is saved.

Well all I can say is get off your butt and go to a appleseed event! It is 100% worth it, it truly is, and a bit of a moving moment. So keep America's heritage going and plant that appleseed!

-Mike

For even more fun try some NRA service rifle :-). That teaches offhand, sitting, and prone both slow and rapid fire with a magazine change :-). I started out Jr smallbore indoor with iron sights then graduated to service rifle and or match rifle outdoors. The sitting and prone are assumed from the standing position. 10 shots in 60 seconds or so. Smallbore was the only discipline that taught kneeling kneeling is a really good field position, and the guys with prior military training said it is one of the best to get into from a dead run :-).

2 hours ago, willbird said:

For even more fun try some NRA service rifle :-). That teaches offhand, sitting, and prone both slow and rapid fire with a magazine change :-). I started out Jr smallbore indoor with iron sights then graduated to service rifle and or match rifle outdoors. The sitting and prone are assumed from the standing position. 10 shots in 60 seconds or so. Smallbore was the only discipline that taught kneeling kneeling is a really good field position, and the guys with prior military training said it is one of the best to get into from a dead run :-).

Edit to add - I remembered wrong, my first appleseed rifleman was a score of 222, not 212, senior moment.

Actually we do that at a appleseed event. The course of fire is as follows no bipods or sand bags allowed (with the exception of the disabled and kids that need it):

1st target - standing offhand 10 rounds in 2 mins. Target size represents 100 yards.

2nd set of targets - standing to sitting, 10 rounds 2 mags. 1st mag 2 rounds 2nd mag 8 rounds. Standing, transition to sitting/kneeling Fire 2 shots in left target, reload and fire 3 shots in left target then transition to right target, fire 5 rounds. 50 second time limit. Target size represents 200 yards.

3rd set of targets - standing to prone. 10 rounds 2 mags, 2 and 8. Start standing, transition to prone. Fire 2 rounds into left target, reload, fire 1 round in left target, move to center target and fire 3 rounds, then move to right target and fire 4 rounds. 60 second time limit. Target size represents 300 yards.

4th set of targets - prone. Start in prone 1 mag 10 rounds. Fire 2 rounds in each of the left targets, 3 rounds in each right targets. 5 min time limit. Target size represents 400 yards.

These are what the AQT targets appleseed uses. The red targets are the "redcoat" targets.

20191216_182600.jpg

20191117_212940.jpg

20191122_220529.jpg

20200811_115846.jpg

Edited by CatFood

11 hours ago, CatFood said:

I've attended 2 appleseeds, both in Piru CA.

That is THE LARGEST Appleseed group in the country - more instructors, more students through, largest classes...  They are the organization to follow after, as far as sticking to the course curriculum.  I'd LOVE to head their history classes  - bet they're damn good at it. 

10 hours ago, Swiftab said:

I became a member today!   I found a class in McMinnville, TN on Oct,24th and am signed up to go.  It was just that easy.

Congrats!  Use an adjustable sling, and it'll allow you to make rapid changes, rapidly...   <<<  I like verbiage like that - I learned it when I worked in the Department Of Redundancy Department...  :laffs::thumbup:  I highly recommend the V-TAC Mk1 sling, in whatever color you like the most, that they make.  Makes sling adjustments very easy.  You'll find that once you get your sling set for your length-of-pull, and body - it'll stay there.  When the time comes, let me know, and I'll go over what I do with them - I set up an index point that I can always go to, no matter what, and it's perfect for me.  Set it there, perfect tension, when I'm slung up tight. 

6 hours ago, CatFood said:

@Swiftab congrats! Let us know how it goes! I recommend elbow and knee pads for sure!

There are also known distance appleseeds as well, all are out of state for me though 😐

I run a hellish long distance shoot over here in AZ twice a year.  You should consider coming over.  You're new, no one knows you here besides Albro...   But we think he's okay...  Right @Albroswift?...   :lmao:    As an Appleseeder, alone, I'd welcome you into the chaos that becomes every Fall Shoot.  Albro is your bonus...   :banana:Next one up is 5-9 Nov. 

Edited by 98Z5V

36 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Right @Albroswift?..

Right! Waitaminute, who? what?

Thanks for the info on the appleseed, plan to get out to the next one here in WA. Dad just got out of the hospital, C-19, he's 84 but I bet he would give it a try also. So question, information says bring a rifle sighted in for 25M, target "presents" as 100 , 200 , etc, does that mean the targets are all set at 25M?

250 rounds sounds like a great time. :thumbup:

@Albroswift yes that is correct, the targets stay at 25m and get smaller to simulate the distance. The 400 yard ones usually get covered up by the front sight post. This is the target you will use, not at first though, you'll shoot a redcoat, then do sight in/sling use drills. Then you'll move to the AQT's. It sounds like a low round count appleseed, which is still a blast! Bring elbow and knee pads (like volley ball type not with the hard plastic cups, a yoga/excercise mat and a 5x7 tarp and STAKES for tarp/mat if you expect wind.)

@98Z5V that sounds like a fun time/shoot. I will keep the dates open. Yeah we used to have the most instructors/appleseed events. Most have retired or moved out of Cali from what Bob210 told me (my instructor, great guy he is! Heck all the volenteers kick butt!). There are only 2 in socal now. One in Piru and the other in Rainbow (rainbow doesn't have on site camping and it's a 2 hour drive for me. I've been on a tight budget so no hotels).

To add, my local range has steel @ 100 yards (smaaaal triangle flags), I was hitting them offhand with irons constantly. The RSO asked who taught me to shoot, I replied, appleseed. Never seen a dude's eyes pop open like that before. Ended up dropping off a crap ton of appleseed fliers and talking about it for a while.

20200811_115846.jpg

Once you get down to those 4 x 400s, it might seem like alot of time - but the pressure is ON!...   :thumbup::lmao:

I'm still listed as an Appleseed Instructor, so I can sign in to the store and buy up some targets. We actually talked about doing this during a Fall Shoot a few years ago.  Run a 1-day, unofficial Appleseed, right in the middle of the Fall Shoot. 

19 hours ago, CatFood said:

Edit to add - I remembered wrong, my first appleseed rifleman was a score of 222, not 212, senior moment.

Actually we do that at a appleseed event. The course of fire is as follows no bipods or sand bags allowed (with the exception of the disabled and kids that need it):

1st target - standing offhand 10 rounds in 2 mins. Target size represents 100 yards.

2nd set of targets - standing to sitting, 10 rounds 2 mags. 1st mag 2 rounds 2nd mag 8 rounds. Standing, transition to sitting/kneeling Fire 2 shots in left target, reload and fire 3 shots in left target then transition to right target, fire 5 rounds. 50 second time limit. Target size represents 200 yards.

3rd set of targets - standing to prone. 10 rounds 2 mags, 2 and 8. Start standing, transition to prone. Fire 2 rounds into left target, reload, fire 1 round in left target, move to center target and fire 3 rounds, then move to right target and fire 4 rounds. 60 second time limit. Target size represents 300 yards.

4th set of targets - prone. Start in prone 1 mag 10 rounds. Fire 2 rounds in each of the left targets, 3 rounds in each right targets. 5 min time limit. Target size represents 400 yards.

These are what the AQT targets appleseed uses. The red targets are the "redcoat" targets.

20191216_182600.jpg

20191117_212940.jpg

20191122_220529.jpg

20200811_115846.jpg

The other factors in the NRA highpower stuff, and especially what they used to call the "Spring DCM"(DCM was what CMP was called for many decades) at camp Perry is the wind and the weather. I would guess 80% of my 600 yard service rifle slow fire strings were in the pouring rain  and with a M1 Garand :-). The wind out on the edge of lake Erie can be interesting too :-).

@Albroswift @98Z5V Buffer arrived yesterday. It's pretty bitchen! Though the head of it had some nasty tooling marks, nothing a bit of sanding and polishing couldn't fix. It's 3.25 inches long and 8.67 oz. There were no weight spacers so I cut some out of a old bike inner tube and now it's quiet. Well all that's left now is the bcg and a head space check. 

Anyone have recommendations for head space gauges? I've checked out fosters. Wish I could rent a 6.5 cm headspace gauge set lol. It is what it is.20200813_073345.thumb.jpg.688f86550ad9d634007cb421ad37b9d7.jpg

He's probably SLAMMED right now - because all other buffers, everywhere, are virtually non-existent.  You can order a buffer from him today, and if it's not already made, he'll make it tomorrow, and send it out.  But,...

...how many people are turning to him right now?  I know I ordered my 6 ARC VLTOR A5 buffer from him on a Saturday - and he sent me tracking info on SUNDAY...   :hail:   I don't know what kind of connections he has at the Post Office, but that tracking number was LIVE - on a SUNDAY...   :banana:

Yeah that is what I figured which is why I didn't contact him. It took me all of 30 mins to sand and polish and a few seconds to cut the rubber. All while I was watching my anime. So I'm not worried about it, it's how this build is going, with parts that I can find now during this time. Just as long as it's not a total eff up. It's now sitting happily with a green springco spring in It's buffer tube home. Come on bcg deliver yourself already!

Any one have a set of 6.5cm head space gauges they want to lend me?

Now I can write a essay regarding g-code holsters and agency arms. Man I ordered a low vis battle belt a month and a week ago, when I called today they were like oh snap we forgot and will ship tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath. Hell my g34 slide took 6 months last year before the cv/riot mess. For milling a rmr and a coating. That got a proper ass chewing (they also messed up the coating and would not send it out until another batch was sent for coatings, 2 months or so). Man that was a mess. I will never do business with agency arms again!

1 hour ago, CatFood said:

Man that was a mess. I will never do business with agency arms again!

Oh, dude, you're gonna be a HOOT!  here - you can't hold your tongue!....  :banana:

Which is actually a commendable trait, here - tell it like it is.  You get :hail:

There are no punches pulled here. It's either what they say it is, or we find out it's NOT what they said it was... 

That's just life, and it's not an easy world.  Bulshiit won't last.  :thumbup:

The BCG showed up yesterday yay! So I had forgot to order the ea1095 spring with the xh buffer, oops. The green springco spring compressed bottoms out before the buffer does lol. So that's a no go lol, it's ok it will go into a dmr build with a rifle length buffer. I do have a strike industries ar308 flat wire spring that works. 

One thing I noticed is that the bolt is really tight in the carrier, probably just needs to be broken in. It's nitrited coating. Forgot to snap some pics, but it's just your basic aero BCG. When I'm ready to take it to the range I'll run her wetter then a lot lizard at a ta truck stop.

9 hours ago, CatFood said:

One thing I noticed is that the bolt is really tight in the carrier, probably just needs to be broken in. It's nitrited coating. Forgot to snap some pics, but it's just your basic aero BCG. When I'm ready to take it to the range I'll run her wetter then a lot lizard at a ta truck stop.

Heard a story from a guy who was a truck driver once, he saw some ladies of that persuasion working the lot, then they went into the bathroom, lady trucker he knew went in there and 30 seconds came RUNNING back out of there, he asked her what happened and she said the lizards were using the sinks as parts washers hehe..

I used to drive long haul. Pulled into a Union 76 Truck Stop in Montgomery, AL. Parked next to another driver from the same company I drove for. We did the usual wave and "how ya doin'" nonverbal stuff but then I saw this young woman climb into his cab. They talked for a minute or two, then she peeled all her clothes off. Not bad looking, I thought. Then he pulled open the curtain between the driver's area and the sleeper. The naked young woman immediately bailed out of the truck, naked as the day she was born, and ran off. I met up with the driver in the restaurant a little later and asked him about it. He said, "She offered herself for $20.00. I opened up the sleeper curtain and asked my wife, "Honey, do you think she's worth $20.00? And the girl just ran out of my truck!" Sometimes, the weird stuff happens. That's what they call life.