• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul Pmag for Armalite ar10

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is how it worked, but it is how I would have done business.

Everyone knows Magpul and the reputation of the PMAG. It would have been two quick phone calls to DPMS and Armalite to say, "Hey, we're building a 308 mag. What is it worth to you so that the 'other guys' don't get this product?" Sale goes to the highest bidder.

Additionally, Magpul might not have the option to make an AR10 compatible mag due to contract issues with DPMS. Especially if DPMS contracted Magpul to make the mags, and invested in their production. That would have been smart money on their part.

Again, this is all just hypothetical. Based on other businesses practice (ie; AT&T with the original iPhone's) it's very possible.

This is interesting to me. Sure many guys love the PMAGS. myself included. Cheap and reliable. Armalite doesnt seem to suffer from the same magazine/feeding inconsistancies that we see on DPMS. Would there be that much of a market now for AR-10 mags? Maybe I dont know. Maybe there's legal (patents)reasons Magpul doesnt make them.

Curiosly are 308 PMAGS being issued in the field in areas of conflict? Is KAC using them?

Most of my reading a few years suggested that regular USGI steel magazines are still the most durable for the battlefield for the M4. Is that still the case?

Remember a year or two ago someone tested a bunch of AR mags and the Lancer ended up being the most durable.

Maybe Mr Raley has some hands on he could reflect upon.

Sale goes to the highest bidder.

Additionally, Magpul might not have the option to make an AR10 compatible mag due to contract issues with DPMS. Especially if DPMS contracted Magpul to make the mags, and invested in their production. That would have been smart money on their part.

I think this is about as close to an explaination that I can think of too.

But like I have seen, they can be modified to work, but why?

• 2 months later...

After looking at a few P-Mags for the wives 5.56 rifle, and weighing them, and hearing about the lips bending if they are loaded for very long without the snap cover, I'll stick to my Armalite magazines.  I never had problem with my issued magazines.  There just isn't enough difference in weight between the P-Mag and an issued magazine when loaded for me to care anymore.  I just don't get to be part of the "in crowd" maybe.  <laughs>

If magpul wants to please it's customer's they will make AR-10 P-mags.

I'm an Armalite owner and while I would like it very much if Magpul made an AR10-specific mag, I also realize the Armalite pattern isn't the most prolific. Most .308 ARs are built on the KAC SR-25 model. Magpul simply produced a mag that would fit the majority of .308s on the market.

That said, since Magpul routinely provides AR butt stocks for both commercial and TDP diameter receiver extensions it shouldn't be too hard to produce an AR10 specific p-mag. The only thing I can think of to keep this from happening is perhaps Armalite itself won't give up the specs to it's proprietary Gen II mag follower.