• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

primer substitution

shrade

IMAO small mag pistol primers can be used for small pistol data for any powder, and like @MikedaddyH   says start a little towards the low end for safety, just like working up any new combination of components. I'm sure this oversimplifies the physics, but I believe that is because even though the powder is ignited a little faster, the bullet also picks up speed a little faster before it hits the lands so effectively balancing out the pressure curve/ spike. Anyway, never saw much of a velocity bump from the mag primers, or signs of over pressure. Crony Beta and LabRadar, semi's and revolvers

5 hours ago, shrade said:

Thanks tp MikedaddyH and Albroswift for the info, this is great news as I have quite a few small pistol mag primers. Maybe enough to get me thru the current BS. 

Just use Ball powders (Spherical) that is a very important MUST item !!!

3 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Just use Ball powders (Spherical

Why is that?

I've run AA5, 3N37, ball powders with mag primers, but also Tightgroup and HP38 which are flake with mag pistol primers,  didn't seem to be an issue. Seems like 10 or 12 years ago or so there was a component shortage, caught me a little shortand and I used mag primers for everything. Lots of 9mm steel plate league and 40SW uspsa. 

Pretty well stocked up before this one hit...

Even if you are sure of that statement, ignoring extruded powders, doesn't really mean you can't use them in pistols and revolvers ( or long guns ) with flake powder. 

What would be your concern?

A lot of good pistol powders are actually shotgun powders, and shoguns use shotgun primers. 

Doesn't mean I have to use shotgun primers with tightgroup in my 40SW or 44SP.

All about development,  not original intent. 

4 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Why is that?

I've run AA5, 3N37, ball powders with mag primers, but also Tightgroup and HP38 which are flake with mag pistol primers, 

Specifically, TightGroup is such a small flake, it's even smaller than some very fine ball powders.  Two that come to mind are Accurate 2520 and Accurate 2495.  Very fine ball powders.  TightGroup is smaller than those.

Not that it means anything towards this conversation - just stating that TightGroup is not your common flake powder. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've used small pistol primers and magnum small pistol primers interchangeably for years. Never had a problem and yes, I've done it with powders other than ball powders!

On 10/28/2020 at 7:14 PM, MikedaddyH said:

Magnum primers were designed to be used with Spherical powders originally to completely burn the powder charge. In rifle cases.

As Tom would say, comparing apples to hammers there Mike! You're referring to rifle cases and an issue that cropped up with the original M-16s used in Vietnam and hasn't been a problem for decades now. Nothing to do with pistol reloads!