• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

interchangeable .308 and 7.62X51 NATO

Virgil

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Can I shoot the NATO 7.62X51 round in this LR308 Panther Arms rifle? I was told they are interchangeable rounds. True or False? What is the difference if not interchangeable? 

You can. There is a pressure difference with 308 being a bit higher but with modern weapons it isn't an issue. There are some older military rifles that have an issue with 308, CETME is what comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

thank you for that info. I hear from another that the 7.62X54 would also work. Isn't that round a bit bigger in diameter?

That's a Russian round, that 7.62 x 54.  You try to chamber one of those things in your gun, and successfully get it to go off - and we'll See You On The Other Side...   SYOTOS... 

Great, NO 7.62X54 for me. and from what I am reading the 7.62X51 is ok, but not as strong of a hitter as the .308. Thinking I will buy the ones on sale, .308 or the 7.62X51. Getting hard to find both in my neighborhood. Any good on line places out there for reasonable ammo?

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, Virgil said:

Can I shoot the NATO 7.62X51 round in this LR308 Panther Arms rifle? I was told they are interchangeable rounds. True or False? What is the difference if not interchangeable? 

AR 2.jpg

Absolutely true, when talking 308/7.62/51 its the opposite of the 223/5.56  where in the 5.56 is loaded to a higher pressure than its civilian counterpart the 223, in the case of the bigger round, the 308 is loaded to a higher pressure than the 7.62