• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I think I messed up, Noveske barrel and BCG in Aero Upper?

V8Eater

Hi All,

I searched on this site for an answer, but didn’t precisely find an answer to my question. So please forgive me if I just missed it. 

I have attempted to do a Noveske Leonidas clone. I had an Aero Precision upper and lower set, so when the Noveske parts, 12.5” barrel, bolt, BCG and hand guard were available I jumped on them. 

Now that the parts are together, the rounds won’t feed. Where did I go wrong? 

Thanks,

Dennis

2 hours ago, V8Eater said:

Hi All,

I searched on this site for an answer, but didn’t precisely find an answer to my question. So please forgive me if I just missed it. 

I have attempted to do a Noveske Leonidas clone. I had an Aero Precision upper and lower set, so when the Noveske parts, 12.5” barrel, bolt, BCG and hand guard were available I jumped on them. 

Now that the parts are together, the rounds won’t feed. Where did I go wrong? 

Thanks,

Dennis

This should work, as long as the guts match each other, which they do. So now we need some more details. How lubed is it? Recoil system info, buffer length and weight, spring length relaxed and coil count, and inner depth of tube. I have the same build going waiting on a stamp. Different receivers but this rxpirament has been done to success...

@98Z5V

2 hours ago, DNP said:

Check out this thread and report back with some helpful info and photos. 

Is Noveske Armalite pattern and Aero DPMS?  How did the barrel nut seem to go on?  When you say won’t feed...Manually or when firing?  

Thank you, I will go through those steps to provide more information. I appreciate your willingness to help a newbie out! 

I have only tried to feed rounds from a magazine. I haven’t yet been able to fire a round. I can’t insert a magazine with even a single round on a closed bolt. Inserting a magazine on an open bolt, and then closing the bolt, the round is at an angle to the axis of the barrel. At the range I did get one round into the barrel, but I just got a FTF when pulling the trigger. To extract the round I hit the brace/buffer tube on the ground repeatedly. I forget what that maneuver is called. I haven’t dropped a round into the barrel and closed the bolt that way to see if it would fire. 

I will get more information and photos. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

This should work, as long as the guts match each other, which they do. So now we need some more details. How lubed is it? Recoil system info, buffer length and weight, spring length relaxed and coil count, and inner depth of tube. I have the same build going waiting on a stamp. Different receivers but this rxpirament has been done to success...

@98Z5V

Thank you for helping me out. 

I kept reading that as long as I had a matching bolt and barrel, that this combo should work. But then I wasn’t entirely clear on some points. I could have sworn that Noveske said this was a DPMS pattern barrel, so I thought it would work with the Aero stuff. But then I seem to see people saying it is an AR-10 pattern barrel. That made me concerned I had made a mistake. 

The barrel nut seemed to go on fine. It threaded freely and then I applied torque to spec with a torque wrench. It seemed fine. 

I have the same SB Tactical brace and integrated buffer tube shown on the Noveske website, I am pretty sure it is carbine length. 

I am using the JP captured spring for 308, but I have to check whether it is the heavy or standard. I ordered the parts over a few years, so I need to check. 

Given that you are asking, I am probably running it too dry. It is lubed as I do my AR-15s. I tend to be conservative with lube as I like to shoot suppressed and more lube seems to make more of a mess. I ratcheted down from having streaks of oil on my face to not. So I can probably make it a bit wetter. If it is just a lube issue, I’d be pleasantly surprised. 

Edited by V8Eater

3 hours ago, V8Eater said:

Thank you, I will go through those steps to provide more information. I appreciate your willingness to help a newbie out! 

I have only tried to feed rounds from a magazine. I haven’t yet been able to fire a round. I can’t insert a magazine with even a single round on a closed bolt. Inserting a magazine on an open bolt, and then closing the bolt, the round is at an angle to the axis of the barrel. At the range I did get one round into the barrel, but I just got a FTF when pulling the trigger. To extract the round I hit the brace/buffer tube on the ground repeatedly. I forget what that maneuver is called. I haven’t dropped a round into the barrel and closed the bolt that way to see if it would fire. 

I will get more information and photos. Thank you! 

If the round is in the chamber and the bolt fully locks, than the thing should fire. It is a closed bolt system, so even if your gas system and buffer assembly are fvcked, this round should fire. 

and if you then had to use that much force to get the round out, I am guessing your headspace is to tight and your bolt is getting stuck trying to extract the round and probably wasn’t completely locked in the first place, so the firing pin wasn’t in the proper position. Did you check the headspace with gauges?

at least this is the problem I had with my McGowen barrel on my .260 rem build. I sent them my upper (all they really needed was the bolt and barrel) and they loosened up the head spacing and it functions flawlessly now.

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

If the round is in the chamber and the bolt fully locks, than the thing should fire. It is a closed bolt system, so even if your gas system and buffer assembly are fvcked, this round should fire. 

and if you then had to use that much force to get the round out, I am guessing your headspace is to tight and your bolt is getting stuck trying to extract the round and probably wasn’t completely locked in the first place, so the firing pin wasn’t in the proper position. Did you check the headspace with gauges?

at least this is the problem I had with my McGowen barrel on my .260 rem build. I sent them my upper (all they really needed was the bolt and barrel) and they loosened up the head spacing and it functions flawlessly now.

I’m not sure the bolt fully closed, but it looked right enough to pull the trigger. I was pretty disappointed it didn’t go “bang” after all the cool parts I’d put together.

Noveske seemed to indicate it was a “headspaced bolt,” so me as a novice builder, I thought it would be fine. I don’t own the gauges, and honestly I don’t even know how to use them if I did. 

I’m expecting that I would need to get any work done by someone other than Noveske. I have had some basic work done by a few local gun shops on different firearms, mostly when I have been too lazy to do it on my own, and I don’t know one I would trust with something like head spacing. 

I appreciate your input! 

6 hours ago, V8Eater said:

I’m not sure the bolt fully closed, but it looked right enough to pull the trigger. I was pretty disappointed it didn’t go “bang” after all the cool parts I’d put together.

Noveske seemed to indicate it was a “headspaced bolt,” so me as a novice builder, I thought it would be fine. I don’t own the gauges, and honestly I don’t even know how to use them if I did. 

I’m expecting that I would need to get any work done by someone other than Noveske. I have had some basic work done by a few local gun shops on different firearms, mostly when I have been too lazy to do it on my own, and I don’t know one I would trust with something like head spacing. 

I appreciate your input! 

I always suggest getting headspace checked when putting together one of these .308ars, since there is no standard like with an ar15 (although it is usually best to have any rifle that you assemble checked). 

I don’t own the gauges either, a local gun store has them and does it for me. If you have a gunsmith nearby, he would have gauges for sure. Saves some money than buying them yourself.

i know it sucks having all these cool parts and not being able to shoot. My .260 sat for like 3 years before I had it all pieced together and able to fire. But it is best if it is done right and make sure you know what the problem is before you start replacing pieces.

This isn't a compatibility issue between the Noveske parts and the Aero receivers.   The Noveske parts are all Armalite AR-10 pattern, by the way - that is true. 

I have a 13.5" Armalite AR-10 competition barrel and AR-10 BCG running in a set of Aero M5 receivers, and it runs like a champ.  

The parts comp. isn't what's stopping this thing from running - just talking about Noveske BCG and barrel, and Aero M5 receivers.  The other parts - we need to know about...

Edited by 98Z5V