• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Are you a Sheep, a Wolf, or a Sheepdog?

alelks

What I've always disliked about the "sheepdog" allusion is that, in the case of the armed Citizen, it is often forgotten or ignored that a big part of the sheepdog's job is terrifying the sheep into "staying in the herd".  This aspect is at least as big a part of what defines a sheepdog's job as protecting the herd from wolves.  I guess that this is what makes the "sheepdog" allusion work so well for Grossman's target audience (LEOs) but rather imperfect for someone like me: a guy who desires to be left alone not only by "wolves", but also by "sheep" and "sheepdogs".

im with you Herk.  to take it a step further...im the cat sitting in the tree watching the whole scene play out , switching between amusement and total indifference.

I'm neither a soldier nor an officer of the law, and yet I consider myself a sheepdog. In my opinion, the essence of being a sheepdog is not in your profession, but in your character. It's a question of how you will respond when the rights and privileges that you hold dearest come under assault. It's not even a question of whether or not you are law-abiding, it's whether or not you are willing to defend and die for your principles when exercising them becomes contradictory to the law or common approval.

I grant that the sheepdog allegory is not a perfect one, but it's close enough to pass the common-sense test, and that's good enough for me.

Andrew Jackson said of a supreme court ruling "He has his ruling, now let's see him enforce it."

As kick ass as that sounds, it is how all politicians from either side conduct business now days.  Their actions are a self-serving free-for-all, with any public speeches meant to satisfy half and pissoff the other half.

Jon

You got a point there use to be IMO 2 kinds of politicians those for business[corporate] and those for the working people of this country now the blur is indistinguishable,all these rat bastards have had life handed to them on a silver platter and are so disconnected from reality they don't know what it is to be hungry to struggle to keep a roof over ones head,to deal with illness or worse to deal with illness without insurance,I got involved with politics and was surprised at the way the game is played as a straight shooter wanting just to improve life for my brothers and sisters I came close for my first up to bat lost by one vote [and I know more than one person who said they were going to vote and didn't]yet they are the first to complain about how things are.We need working people in office but don't think that will happen cause you got to get your hands dirty,be willing to act like a snake to win climb over others to get a head,that's not me,but then I can live with myself and sleep at night and have the respect of my family and friends,its sad that the average American has lost a voice that is why it is more important than ever to vote out those that are in office for themselves,and not you or I,I'm done gonna try not to fall off my soap box.Shoot on bros.

You got a point there use to be IMO 2 kinds of politicians those for business[corporate] and those for the working people of this country now the blur is indistinguishable,all these rat bastards have had life handed to them on a silver platter and are so disconnected from reality they don't know what it is to be hungry to struggle to keep a roof over ones head,to deal with illness or worse to deal with illness without insurance,I got involved with politics and was surprised at the way the game is played as a straight shooter wanting just to improve life for my brothers and sisters I came close for my first up to bat lost by one vote [and I know more than one person who said they were going to vote and didn't]yet they are the first to complain about how things are.We need working people in office but don't think that will happen cause you got to get your hands dirty,be willing to act like a snake to win climb over others to get a head,that's not me,but then I can live with myself and sleep at night and have the respect of my family and friends,its sad that the average American has lost a voice that is why it is more important than ever to vote out those that are in office for themselves,and not you or I,I'm done gonna try not to fall off my soap box.Shoot on bros.

I'm out of breath now.  There were only two periods in that entire post.    <lmao>

• 2 weeks later...

Sheepdog here for sure. 22 years in law enforcement and retired from the PD now for 10 years. I'm now to the point where I feel like getting back into the thick of things and considering running for Municipal Judge next year. I can't take this standing on the sidelines any more. I've got a son and son-in-law guarding our southern borders in New Mexico and Arizona, my youngest is going in the Marines in a few months and it's time for the old man to get back in the fight!

• 2 weeks later...