• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lower Recoil/Lighter Weight AR-10/308 Build

Snow_N_Surf

@Snow_N_Surf - you can stop PMing me now.  For real.  You hash out whatever details that you can hash out - publicly, speaking logically, right here, right in your thread. That you started.  Sound good?  :popcorn:

11 PMs from you was WAY MORE than enough.  I could have done with ZERO PMs from you, but you didn't think that you had to stop.  Now, you don't get to PM me anymore.  You broke that threshold, with your "I'm a Psycho" powers. Like I said in the last reply...

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Snow_N_Surf said:

As if you are the God knowing all of the internet.  Sorry, this is the bathroom wall of society, I take everything I read or see with a grain of salt.  You have to prove yourself to me just like anybody on youtube.  I don't easily recommend any forum, channel, ect.  You have to prove to me that you know enough that I'm willing to recommend you.  This forum and it's members are not the end all authority, nor am I.  

This isn't Barfcom, if you're around long enough, that'll become apparent pretty quickly. We were here before large ARs had any kind of substantial market share, and the information that's freely given here is directly from experience and first-hand knowledge, not conjecture. Before you go making unflattering comparisons between this forum and the rest of the internet, take into account that the core group all know each other, most have met each other in person on more than one occasion, and all are part of a tight-knit family that's only partly forum based.

You're welcome to benefit from years of things we've learned the hard way, at no cost and substantial benefit to yourself. If you feel like wasting that opportunity on arguments based on conjecture and conflicting hearsay, don't be surprised when it's not well received or even outright mocked.

Information offered here comes directly from first-hand experience, if you want to make that out to be just more internet pablum you're in the wrong place.

23 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

I’ll make this easy. Hydraulic buffers aren’t designed for general use. They are meant to be set up and tailored to a certain load and that’s it. It will work fine for that purpose. A standard set up offers you flexibility for all ammo. 

As for you titanium question I think start with the Armalite system and you can go to lighter buffer using standard ar15 buffers. It’s a simple and efficient design that works

This comment was generated with the experience we’ve gained over years of building, modifying and researching these and all AR style weapons. Hydraulic buffers are race gun parts. Titanium bolt carrier groups are race gun parts. Nothing wrong with building a race gun, but be prepared to have to work on it for a bit to be consistent and reliable, probably with a very limited selection of ammo choices. Traditional recoil systems that are proven tend to be far more flexible at be able to use a far greater variety of ammo. That is the main reason we suggest them. Easier to add or take weight away from the buffer, adjust if needed or desired, etc.

Some of us here have done more than make a living off these weapons, some have used them to preserve life and or take it. You entered our house. We ask you wipe your feet on the mat and be cordial during conversation here. We aren’t opposed to a different point of view. Realize this is a small community. We want new people to join and contribute. We have information that’s tried and true. If we are not providing the info you’re looking for or you’re question isn’t being answered, maybe it the way you’re asking? Either through lack of proper terminology or just arrangement of words.

On 2/25/2021 at 5:39 AM, Matt.Cross said:

This isn't Barfcom, if you're around long enough, that'll become apparent pretty quickly. We were here before large ARs had any kind of substantial market share, and the information that's freely given here is directly from experience and first-hand knowledge, not conjecture. Before you go making unflattering comparisons between this forum and the rest of the internet, take into account that the core group all know each other, most have met each other in person on more than one occasion, and all are part of a tight-knit family that's only partly forum based.

You're welcome to benefit from years of things we've learned the hard way, at no cost and substantial benefit to yourself. If you feel like wasting that opportunity on arguments based on conjecture and conflicting hearsay, don't be surprised when it's not well received or even outright mocked.

Information offered here comes directly from first-hand experience, if you want to make that out to be just more internet pablum you're in the wrong place.

I don't doubt experience, but no, this forum is not any different then any other on the internet.  It's impossible to escape that.  I'd say about 90-95% of what you read online is false, or misleading at best.  Seeing what's recommended in forums and even in the media in industries I'm a knowledgeable professional in taught me that much, 20 years ago. That's the problem with trying to get advice online, you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to the truth.  I'll take the advice from the experts & the manufacturers long before something I read online.  That's not to say there isn't a lot of good information online and likely this site included, it's just you have to be able to identify the bullpoopy and that's not always easy to do.

2 minutes ago, Snow_N_Surf said:

I don't doubt experience, but no, this forum is not any different then any other on the internet.  It's impossible to escape that.  I'd say about 90-95% of what you read online is false, or misleading at best.  Seeing what's recommended in forums and even in the media in industries I'm a knowledgeable professional in taught me that much, 20 years ago. That's the problem with trying to get advice online, you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to the truth.  I'll take the advice from the experts & the manufacturers long before something I read online.  That's not to say there isn't a lot of good information online and likely this site included, it's just you have to be able to identify the bullpoopy and that's not always easy to do.

Then, get on with yourself, and just disappear, from here.  Seeya, Bye.  You won't be missed.  You're smarter than everyone here - even those that were building these things 10+ years ago - but yet...  you think you know more.  You have fun, don't come back, and fuk yourself on your way out.  Goodbye, smarter-motherfucker.  Enjoy life, being as smart as you are - self-proclaimed smarter-than-everyone-else.  Wonder why you were here in the first place - to try to pitch your own bullshiit?...  That doesn't work?...  :popcorn:

Adios, motherfucker. 

On 2/25/2021 at 7:10 AM, edgecrusher said:

This comment was generated with the experience we’ve gained over years of building, modifying and researching these and all AR style weapons. Hydraulic buffers are race gun parts. Titanium bolt carrier groups are race gun parts. Nothing wrong with building a race gun, but be prepared to have to work on it for a bit to be consistent and reliable, probably with a very limited selection of ammo choices. Traditional recoil systems that are proven tend to be far more flexible at be able to use a far greater variety of ammo. That is the main reason we suggest them. Easier to add or take weight away from the buffer, adjust if needed or desired, etc.

Some of us here have done more than make a living off these weapons, some have used them to preserve life and or take it. You entered our house. We ask you wipe your feet on the mat and be cordial during conversation here. We aren’t opposed to a different point of view. Realize this is a small community. We want new people to join and contribute. We have information that’s tried and true. If we are not providing the info you’re looking for or you’re question isn’t being answered, maybe it the way you’re asking? Either through lack of proper terminology or just arrangement of words.

Thank you.  I think my first post was pretty specific about the questions I had and you're actually attempting to answer them.  I'm not really sure how people got so hung up on criticizing hydraulic buffer systems.  I was never interested in them in the first place for the build, just curious why they weren't more common, learn more about them, and get other perspectives.  The captured spring systems, yes, but nothing else.  The Armalite setup is the most reliable over the broadest range, if you go another direction there are going to be sacrifices.  I get it, it makes sense, I believe it.  If I choose to try something else, I now know the risks and I appreciate the advice.

That was my main question about going to a lighter BCG, if you have to add weight to the buffer it kind of defeats the purpose.  Do you have any idea what weight buffer would be needed, say with the longer Armalite style buffer tube?  

On 2/25/2021 at 10:43 AM, unforgiven said:

Do you actually have any parts for a rifle build?

As stated in the first post, the receiver set is paid for and on order.  I've got some other small parts but the parts that really determine how the rifle functions, the BCG, barrel and buffe system are what I'm trying to finalize.  The biggest issue right now is trying to find them but as soon as I lock down which specific parts I want I'll order them, even if it takes several months to get.  I've got the money now and want to spend it.

32 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Then, get on with yourself, and just disappear, from here.  Seeya, Bye.  You won't be missed.  You're smarter than everyone here - even those that were building these things 10+ years ago - but yet...  you think you know more.  You have fun, don't come back, and fuk yourself on your way out.  Goodbye, smarter-motherfucker.  Enjoy life, being as smart as you are - self-proclaimed smarter-than-everyone-else.  Wonder why you were here in the first place - to try to pitch your own bullshiit?...  That doesn't work?...  :popcorn:

Adios, motherfucker. 

You know, before I ever posted, I knew you were going to be a problem.  I saw the way you treated other people in other threads and I was reluctant to even post because of it.  I tried to tread lightly with you, even suggesting discussing thing in PM so the thread could stay on topic and keep this out of the public light so as not to embarrass you, but that wasn't good enough for you. You insisted to air it out in public, so here you go.  I hope you're happy.

You're an center of uranus, who's looking for a fight because he's got low self esteem and tries to make himself feel better by degrading other people.  Well, sorry, I'm not some young dumb kid that can be pushed around and doesn't see who you are and what you're doing.  You may be knowledgeable about 308 AR;s but that doesn't give you the right to treat others like poop and you shouldn't get so butt hurt if someone doesn't take your advice.  Your manhood is not determined by whether obeys your command or not.  You need to do some serious self reflecting,  I'd suggest counseling or a good mentor.

4 minutes ago, Snow_N_Surf said:

You know, before I ever posted, I knew you were going to be a problem. 

As SOON as you posted - I knew that YOU were gonna be a problem here - and I was right. 

You're a giant pain in the ass, don't know what you're talking about, and you're living in some kind of a fantasy world.  I called that one right.

Here's your very first opening statement, right here on this board:

I've been searching all over the internet but haven't found the answers I'm looking for. 

There's a fuckin REASON for that - tht you've been all over the internet, and can't find your answer - because you're a dumbass, searching for something that you don't know what you're talking about in the first place.  Welcome here, though - where we're gonna tell you that you're a shiithead. 

You're welcome.  :thefinger:

2 minutes ago, Snow_N_Surf said:

even suggesting discussing thing in PM so the thread could stay on topic and keep this out of the public light so as not to embarrass you,

You never embarrased me for a second, you moron.  I can post your phone number that you sent me, though - so anyone can call you.

Want me to do that? I'll oblige you.  :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

As SOON as you posted - I knew that YOU were gonna be a problem here - and I was right. 

You're a giant pain in the ass, don't know what you're talking about, and you're living in some kind of a fantasy world.  I called that one right.

Here's your very first opening statement, right here on this board:

There's a fuckin REASON for that - tht you've been all over the internet, and can't find your answer - because you're a dumbass, searching for something that you don't know what you're talking about in the first place.  Welcome here, though - where we're gonna tell you that you're a shiithead. 

You're welcome.  :thefinger:

I'm only a pain in the ass to you.  And I"m ok with that.  

Talk it up.  Most of those very specific questions still haven't been addressed, let alone answered here.  You've got a lot to do with that considering you'd rather talk poop then address them.

8 hours ago, Snow_N_Surf said:

The joke is on you, you have absolutely no idea of which industry experts this forum includes in it's core group, ironically because you're just another internet expert.