• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tack14 intro/newuser

Tack14

@Matt.Cross Thanks, that makes sense.  I'll have to read up.  I had seen some mention of some people having undersized gas ports on their 308's but figured it was more of a corner case situation.  Maybe not... It would suck if they need to be enlarged since the barrels I'll be working with are nitrided.  I am not set up to do nitriding hehe.  

11 hours ago, Tack14 said:

Loose barrel extension seems like a bad thing to have happen.  How are those put on?  Heat/sweat fit?

The barrel extension installation is the very, very first operation (unless the company is truly making their own barrels ( - and they'll rifle it first, profile it second).  So Barrel extension goes on a rifled barrel blank, profiled or not yet.  It's torqued on there to 175lb/ft.  Once it's torqued to 175, the feed ramps at 6 o'clock determine barrel centerline.  Barrel index pin goes into the extension at 12 o'clock next - common misconception about the index pin is that the extension is drilled for the index pin, and the index pin locks the extension to the barrel...   This is NOT TRUE.  Index pins do NOT go deep enough to go down into the barrel threading.  They never do. The gas port is drilled at 12 o'clock, at the desired position and size after that.  Final step is chambering it, and setting the chamber depth/headspace.  Most manufacturers profile the barrel after the extension goes on, but not all do.  Those main barrel operations happen in that order, though, profiling be damned, whenever they decide to do it.

Having a loose barrel nut is rare, based on the amount of torque for it - but it happens.  I had one from a well-known manufacturer on a 16"300 BLK barrel.  When it happened, I took the extension off, coated the threads with RockSett, and put it back on and realigned it.  It'll never come off now, as long as I don't swim some distance with it and twist it up after that.   

dang.   Amazing info.  Thank you again 98Z5V. 

I just bought a bottle of Rocksett after reading somewhere about what to use on your screws for set screw gas blocks (what threadlocker can handle the temp?).  It was a bit of a debate between Loctite blue and Loctite red but then someone came on and mentioned Rocksett can definitely handle the heat it is what (some major mfgr) uses on muzzle devices and cans, and heat won't really bother it once it sets up.  I have some Loctite blue also but with  lighter stuff in mind.

Pretty much all the parts in now, getting excited. 🙂

13 hours ago, Tack14 said:

but then someone came on and mentioned Rocksett can definitely handle the heat it is what (some major mfgr) uses on muzzle devices and cans, and heat won't really bother it once it sets up.

AAC used to send a small tube of it with every single muzzle device you bought from them.  I don't know it they still do that now, seeing that PSA bought them out, in the Remington nightmare...

Ah wow interesting.  I had heard about Remington and some other b rands being bought by some big conglomerate but that was several years ago.  PSA as in Palmetto State Armory?  Have been browsing over there lately.  Have this itch for a carry handle compact lately...

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM 98Z5V addressing a chewed up Buffer from a possible out of spec Lower.

“I didn't bitch, complain,demand a refund... I fixed it - with a Tubbs Carrier Weight System - which added 0.080" tothe length of the BCG.  THAT pushed the buffer off it's retaining pin, in the lower.

I never talked about that here by manufacturer-name, and I've even refused to state the manufacturer, when I discussed the issue I had, but what my Tubb CWS fixed.”

Now this is me DustBuster:

I got this from a different thread and didn’t know how to transport it to this one so I just copied it.

In defense of KaK, who I named by name which is not very sporting, The owner of this company did Immediately Email me after I notified them of the loose barrel extension.  The secretary didn’t email me, The Owner of KaK did.  He agreed with me that it wasn’t “good”, and they paid for shipping back for a refund or exchange.  They just didn’t have any more 18” barrel blanks so they could t make me a new one.  I got the refund.  I may sometime try a barrel from them in the future.... It sure did look good and was packaged with care... it just slipped through the cracks.  Gotta go... GoodBye

1 hour ago, DustBuster said:

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM 98Z5V addressing a chewed up Buffer from a possible out of spec Lower.

“I didn't bitch, complain,demand a refund... I fixed it - with a Tubbs Carrier Weight System - which added 0.080" tothe length of the BCG.  THAT pushed the buffer off it's retaining pin, in the lower.

I never talked about that here by manufacturer-name, and I've even refused to state the manufacturer, when I discussed the issue I had, but what my Tubb CWS fixed.”

Now this is me DustBuster:

I got this from a different thread and didn’t know how to transport it to this one so I just copied it.

In defense of KaK, who I named by name which is not very sporting, The owner of this company did Immediately Email me after I notified them of the loose barrel extension.  The secretary didn’t email me, The Owner of KaK did.  He agreed with me that it wasn’t “good”, and they paid for shipping back for a refund or exchange.  They just didn’t have any more 18” barrel blanks so they could t make me a new one.  I got the refund.  I may sometime try a barrel from them in the future.... It sure did look good and was packaged with care... it just slipped through the cracks.  Gotta go... GoodBye

What the FUK are you talking about, and HOW THE FUK does it pertain to this conversation that's going on?...  :popcorn:

Why are you referencing that information - for THIS THREAD - in the first place?...  What's it got to do with anything discussed here in this thread?...

EDIT - For the record now - since time has passed, that was the 34th ever Spike's Tactical billet 5.56 receiver set, upper and lower - and it chewed up buffer faces, because something was out of spec in what they did.  I'll out it now, because I built that gun in 2010.  One of the very first receiver sets that they offered, and I backordered that set as soon as they announced it.  I got #34.

That STILL doesn't have a damn thing to do with the conversation that's going on here, right now, with this OPs gun, though.  So, BRAVO for bringing up something that doesn't even matter here.  Get back in your corner, and watch the crowd.  If you wanna speak legibly about something, bring it up - if you want to babble about bullshiit that doesn't matter - then you NEED to be in the corner, with your thumb in your mouth.

Edited by 98Z5V

Hey Now...I maybe should not have brought your previous quote into this thread, but it did pertain to the fact that Earlier in this thread of Tack 14’s, Hello Tack 14 by the way, I had notified him of my problem with a barrel of a manufacturer of which he had bought other parts from ( a gun in this thread), and I was just saying how I may have done disservice to that company by mentioning their name like it was a bad product without the clarification which I just added.  I used your Quote as an example of fixing some Manufactures defect without necessarily badmouthing the company...You and I did both talk to Tack 14 about Barrel Extensions..my very limited experience with One of Two(ever) and you probably on experience with about 400 or more.  

On a side Note:  My new Faxion Barrel extension was too tight for the receiver so I froze the barrel and Heated the receiver at about 250 degrees for about 20 minutes, then greased up the barrel extension and it slipped right in, having to Bop it hard for the last 1/8 till it bottomed out.  That’s how I’m going to shoot such tight groups in the future, because of a Superb Thermal connection.  These threads bounce back and forth sometimes..I was just adding to something previous... 

I don’t have the experience to fix a loose barrel extension, so I returned that first barrel of mine for the Faxon.  You fixed one of the rare loose extensions before...Sending stuff back is a major pain...

Here is a question for you 98z5v and then I will comment no further on Tacks thread...

How much percentage of a shooters success in tight groups is Confidence?  Is there any help attributed to confidence in gear? 

This might be the first time in the history of the forum that I had to close an introduction thread because it went too far off the rails. @DustBuster your last two posts were better suited to a separate thread than they are to this one. It's fantastic that you're pursuing a friendly dialogue with @98Z5V and I'm 100% sure he's quite flattered, but you didn't get his hint so I'm going to be quite blunt about this: QUIT GOING OFF TOPIC IN THE NEW GUY'S INTRO THREAD. Thank you.

@Tack14 I know you're still getting adjusted and reading around, welcome to the forums and stick around a while. It's only like this when we've got a wave of newcomers with no feel for the established community. I apologize for the mess.

20 minutes ago, DustBuster said:

Here is a question for you 98z5v and then I will comment no further on Tacks thread...

How much percentage of a shooters success in tight groups is Confidence?  Is there any help attributed to confidence in gear? 

100%, and then some. 

If you can't shoot - then hardware won't make you better.  You can either shoot, or you cannot shoot.  

And that's all in the Fundamentals.  Period.  When you get good enough to out-perform your hardware - THAT is when you upgrade your hardware.

Now.  Let's get back to the issues that the OP is facing, and let's get off your hypothetical bulshiit, that you're interjecting into someone else's thread - respect the OP, and the situation that he has, and leave your own bullshiit out of it. 

Thanks, in advance.  :thefinger: Stay out of this guy's thread with your bullshiit.  :bitchslap:

Edited by 98Z5V

29 minutes ago, Tack14 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I need a recommendation for a GOOD AR upper vise block but will post that in a separate thread. 

Have you looked at the reaction rods? I ran with a vice block for years, never had any issues with it but after falling into a reaction rod I wish I would have started there.

https://geissele.com/tools/gunsmithing-tools/reaction-rods.html

Maybe its silly but just going to say thanks again for this forum being here and for people responding to my posts.

I don't know if  I will be able to ever have as much experience as some here have, and I am already concerned about "making waves" or posting outside of here too soon.  So I am probably just going to just try to STFU, let the experts be the experts, and build my build my builds.

Thanks again everyone.  Really do appreciate the info.

14 hours ago, Tack14 said:

Maybe its silly but just going to say thanks again for this forum being here and for people responding to my posts.

I don't know if  I will be able to ever have as much experience as some here have, and I am already concerned about "making waves" or posting outside of here too soon.  So I am probably just going to just try to STFU, let the experts be the experts, and build my build my builds.

Thanks again everyone.  Really do appreciate the info.

You're alright - you keep doing what you're doing, nobody is "irked" by anything that you're posting. 

Be You, man.  You're alright.  Post away.  :thumbup: