• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tack14 intro/newuser

Tack14

Hi everyone,

I was really glad to find this forum when I started searching for info on 308 AR's, especially once I found out (pretty early on) that building 308 AR's is a little different and something you need to research before you just start buying parts.  I've been reading articles and threads here off and on for a while - so much great info here!

I finally got enough parts together and other needfuls (tools, etc.) and am starting my first build soon.  Hopefully starting to get parts for the 2nd also in the not too distant future, but will have to see how that goes.

My background with AR's, well of course it has been AR-15 up to this point, I have a 16" carbine I got some years back.  But I'm just getting started with the world of 308 AR's, it is something I've been reading about off and on and thinking "one of these days..." for some time now. 

I do have experience with other 308 rifles though -- my first love for a rifle was the M14 / M1A.  What can I say, they're pretty rifles and it was love at first squeeze/crack!

Although I still like iron sights, my eyesight is not what it used to be and from the time I finally decided AR's are pretty cool after all and bought my first, I have had a curiousity about 308 AR's.

So here I am. :)  About to build my first.

I will definitely be in the n00b category with a lot of things, although I do have some experience handloading 308 and a few various smithy tools like a set of 308 headspace gauges.

Looking forward to it!

Tack14

Thanks eveyrone!

Forgot to mention, I am in Texas, DFW area.

On the first build --  I'm using:

American Made Tactical 308 lower

KAK Industry 308 upper (DPMS "high" profile) - seems to have many good  reviews and although I hope it was not a mistake, DPMS High seemed like a good choice (although I am seeing lots of DPMS "Low" rails around too lately).  It is 6061 and probably forged (not billet).

SLR 12.5" Helix DPMS High rail

KAK Industry AR lower parts kit + the 4 308-specific parts, also have a KAK extended mag catch handy in case I need the extra length of threads (have read sometimes the mil-spec ones don't have enough threads for good engagement with mag release button)

Lantac Enhanced BCG - Nitrided, full mass

Heavy Buffers AR 10 Carbine XH (6.5oz) buffer + 308 Carbine Buffer spring

Superlative Arms bleed-off .750 adjustable gas block (set screw) - will dimple my barrel, have a jig coming.  Not 100% sure I will need the adjustable gas but with the way things are going I want to have it there instead of finding out alter I needed adjustable gas and can't get one anymore...

Barrel and a couple lower-related options still a bit up in the air. I have some things in mind but will have to see. 🙂

14 hours ago, Tack14 said:

Heavy Buffers AR 10 Carbine XH (6.5oz) buffer + 308 Carbine Buffer spring.

What Carbine Receiver Extension are you planning for this one?   Excellent choice in parts, by the way.  :thumbup:

Thanks again everyone.

@Armed Eye Doc I understand.  I am a transplant here myself, been here since fall '17.   Former tarheel. There are definitely things we like about the DFW  area but I guess I'm just not much of  a city slicker. 🙂   Looking to get out of urban/metro and back into more of a country setting myself.

Welcome from WY.... I just got done building one.  I have a few Kak parts in mine, extended mag release...Heavy Buffer.. but I got a Lemon from them as far as barrels... The barrel extension was loose on a new 18” midgas barrel.  I went with a Faxon and I haven’t shot it yet but it looks good so far

DustBuster thanks that is good to know about Kak barrels.  I mean, not good news of course, but good to know.  i have had some notifications set up to alert me when their 10.5's and 12.5's come back in stock.  I have also seen another mention or two out there, someone mentioned in a review of a milspec receiver extension that was a bit oversized vs. an Aero one they tried.

Loose barrel extension seems like a bad thing to have happen.  How are those put on?  Heat/sweat fit? 

I saw a video that in dog years is pretty old now (haha) of a guy building a 308 pistol with one of their barrels and a Daniel Defense quadrail.  Don't know if he followed up with how well it shot though.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:57 PM, 98Z5V said:

Excellent choice.  This will be a very nice gun.   :thumbup:

I am hoping so!  Barrel should be here soon, went with 18" heavy BA modern series (nitrided Chrome Moly) on this one.  Will have to think a bit about muzzle device yet.  I have one 30 cal first generation PWS FSC30 I never installed for an old project, may use that.

@98Z5V Thank you again for your replies - I just saw your post referencing the topic you created a while back about 308 gas system etc. in the topic from the gentleman about having cycling issues on his build.

I am so glad to be here.  I have tried to be very very careful researching and picking parts but I know at some point I will inevitably have made a mistake and there is so much good info here. I will look forward to reading your topic about gas systems in detail after work this evening.

I am hoping the Ballistic Advantage barrels I've bought will have good size gas ports on them but we shall see. 🙂

Thanks again for sharing the information you have!

Tack14

26 minutes ago, Tack14 said:

@98Z5V Thank you again for your replies - I just saw your post referencing the topic you created a while back about 308 gas system etc. in the topic from the gentleman about having cycling issues on his build.

I am so glad to be here.  I have tried to be very very careful researching and picking parts but I know at some point I will inevitably have made a mistake and there is so much good info here. I will look forward to reading your topic about gas systems in detail after work this evening.

I am hoping the Ballistic Advantage barrels I've bought will have good size gas ports on them but we shall see. 🙂

Thanks again for sharing the information you have!

Tack14

The good news in terms of gas ports is that you're never more than one drill bit away from the perfect size.