• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 cycling troubles

That gas tube is why it doesn’t cycle at all. Right gas tube will solve 99% of your issue. With that length, it doesn’t even meet up with the BCG. Was that shot of it at the gas block the way it was mounted??  It’s not even into the gas block...

and 98 is spot on with his gas port sizes. While you’re waiting on the right gas tube, you should drill that port up a hair. 

That is a AR-15 gas tube in there. The AR10 rifl

s tube is longer.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=10007010

This is the one you need.

Here is the link to the proper buffer.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=EA1090

This link has the spring and buffer and gives you a spare extension.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT02&ReturnURL=/Armalite/Product-Category/AR10-Parts-Accessories/Lower-Receiver-Parts&Category=ac614400-ff09-4cdf-9d35-419a654e7201

If the web says out of stock call them they usually can find the parts.

I will research the gas tube because the current one is 15.1" in length. Funny thing this tube came with the upper. I understand that a .5" inch difference is a big deal. Ordered the ar10 buffer spring and a heavier weight buffer. I can also understand the gas port being undersized originally I thought it was too big. Ordered the longer gas tube. These are all great ideas that y'all are coming up with. All easy to understand. 

34 minutes ago, Bill Eckberg said:

These are all great ideas that y'all are coming up with.

These aren't "ideas." We've been diagnosing these things (with the proper input from the owners) for a very long time, here.

This isn't guess-work.  It's proven.

49 minutes ago, Bill Eckberg said:

I will research the gas tube because the current one is 15.1" in length. Funny thing this tube came with the upper. I understand that a .5" inch difference is a big deal.

I ordered an upper from Bear Creek that had an AR-15 rifle length gas tube for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Large frame AR's take different parts. Some manufacturer s don't understand the difference.

Edited by shooterrex

On 6/2/2021 at 9:19 PM, Bill Eckberg said:

I will research the gas tube because the current one is 15.1" in length.

It needs to be 15.5" in length - a Real Armalite AR-10 Rifle Length gas tube...   It's so easy to see in the pic you presented.  PAINFULLY OBVIOUS.

Research is done, now.  That's the final answer...  

And that's one Step 1, to solve the glaring problem with your gas system.  After that, address the recoil system, and after that, address the gas port diameter.

Then - you'll have a fully functional gun,on what ever ammo you decide to toss in it. 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is my results after drilling the barrel gas port to .096, obtaining and installing a 15.5" gas rod, obtaining from heavy buffers a 10oz buffer and  a AR308 spring and new buffer tube. The gun operates perfectly! I want to thank everyone for your once again proven methods. You have made a believer out of me.