Tromix 10.5" 1/10 twist stainless barrel and bolt

Generic .875 gas block

Generic pistol gas tube

Right to bear arms bcg with Tromix bolt swapped in

Guntec USA AR-15 Ultra Lightweight Thin M-LOK Free Floating Handguard 10"

Stag lower

PSA lower build kit

Larue MBT trigger

Got the upper together today. Waiting on the cartridge gauge from Tromix before I load any ammo. I jumped on the caliber and ordered the barrel from Tromix before a did a lot of research. I have known Tony from several boards so I did not shop around a lot. After reading more I am EXTREMELY glad I got the barrel from Tromix.

458s.jpg

25 minutes ago, sketch said:

tromix is the shits!  I have been on a waiting list for case gages for 4 years... I will split the cost if you lone them for a week! 🍻🍻🇺🇸

But - your .458 RUNS, brother.  MAN!   Does it run...  :hail:

37 minutes ago, sketch said:

all day runs! I have over 500 rounds of relodes... 405.

You might have a problem - that's the projectile I load in the 45-70, man.  What the hell if wrong with you?!...  :bitchslap::lmao:

OK fired 3 rounds yesterday with a 405 grain cast bullet I bought, they have a gray powder coat, did not fire on paper, used 37.0 grains of RE7. Rounds barely ejected but bolt locked back.

Found some data a guy posted and he uses a nice excel spreadsheet format to save data, I decided to use his format for myself going forward. The target was leaned back on my backstop so that is why the bullet holes are not round. You KNOW you are shooting these lol. They were 1158fps in the other guys 16" barrel.  I got a 2x-7x Vortex Crossfire for this upper.

spreadsheet.png

576 grain.JPG

Edited by willbird

On 6/7/2021 at 8:35 AM, willbird said:

Waiting on the cartridge gauge from Tromix before I load any ammo. I jumped on the caliber and ordered the barrel from Tromix before a did a lot of research. I have known Tony from several boards so I did not shop around a lot. After reading more I am EXTREMELY glad I got the barrel from Tromix.

Plus 1 on the cutaway case gauge and Tromix. Their products are clearly the result of sharp quality tooling.

I tried 400gr, 405gr lead and jacketed, 350 gr jacketed, and the Barns TTSX 300 gr. The Barns won out hands down. (Unless you are trying to go sub sonic suppressed, then the heavier the better I would think) The Lil gun and Data2200 (AA#2200, AAC#2200)  powder worked better then the RL7 in a 14-1/2" barrel, although I gave up pretty quick on the RL7.  I preferred the Hornady sizing die over the Redding, I have and used both. Like the Hornady expander ball better.  

Links to my data on 458 socom forum

https://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=4272.msg41651#msg41651

8 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Plus 1 on the cutaway case gauge and Tromix. Their products are clearly the result of sharp quality tooling.

I tried 400gr, 405gr lead and jacketed, 350 gr jacketed, and the Barns TTSX 300 gr. The Barns won out hands down. (Unless you are trying to go sub sonic suppressed, then the heavier the better I would think) The Lil gun and Data2200 (AA#2200, AAC#2200)  powder worked better then the RL7 in a 14-1/2" barrel, although I gave up pretty quick on the RL7.  I preferred the Hornady sizing die over the Redding, I have and used both. Like the Hornady expander ball better.  

Links to my data on 458 socom forum

https://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=4272.msg41651#msg41651

The only dies I could get were Lee dies. Reloading tools are crazy right now. Same situation with powder so I have quite a bit of RE7 which which is why I started with it. I also have 16lbs of SR4759 and see that a few folks have used it. I might have some 2200, a buddy bought 32 lbs when it was SUPER cheap two decades ago. I have some Lilgun but not a large stash. 

Did just get some 325 Hornady ftx projo. 

Bill

Oh yea I bought the NOE expander plugs too .460, .459, .458, and .457. They refer to them differently but that is the actual bullet shank sizing portion dia of the ones I got. They drop into a Lee expander body.

Edited by willbird

5 hours ago, willbird said:

2200, a buddy bought 32 lbs when it was SUPER cheap two decades ago.

About right, 20+++ years ago I bought 4/ 8 lb jugs of Data2200 for about 10 or 15 bucks a piece. Thought it was a lifetime supply at the time. Works great for 22 hornet, .223, 458S, now down to a jug and a half or so. Champion (excellent real man on the phone tech support) says it's still good as long as it's been stored properly, and direct sub for AA/AAC#2200. In the SOCOM I run it upper end of the scale or it leaves the little briquettes in the chamber. I've used it in 308 also with lighter bullets, excellent SD's but not as much velocity as other 308 powders.