• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Springfield M1A SOCOM 16 CQB, Semi-automatic, .308 Win./7.62 NATO, 16.25" Barrel, 10+1 Rds.

Can't comment on the price other than to say that it is a few hundred dollars more than the "sale price" that I used to see for them when I was looking a couple of years ago - but that is probably to be expected with the change in the market over the last years.   

I can tell you that I'm a huge M1A fan-boy, that my first "bucket list gun" years ago was an M1A Loaded with near full national match conversion (everything except bedding) and that they are great guns.   

I've not been totally sold on the SOCOM variant as I'm not an operator who needs to carry a single weapon to use both at moderate range and when clearing houses so for me the SOCOM is pretty much limited to "cool points" for me... I'm a function over form guy and there are not a lot of scenarios in my middle-class suburban life where a CQB .30 cal is the best tool.   

If I'm shooting 7.62X51 I'm shooting at things more than 100 yards away and I want more barrel than that - and if I'm defending my home against an armed intruder I'll grab my Mossberg 590.  If the zombie apocalypses occurs I'm probably grabbing the Tavor TS12... 🙂   

Edited by BigNate
modded value

Can't go wrong with an M1A/M14. They're sexy and reliable rifles. As far as price, it all depends on if you're comfortable with it. Prices in general seem to be just now starting to come back down. You could always give it a bit.

Also, a 16" barrel can still reach out and touch something. My AR-10 12" SBR was banging steel at 500 yards at the super secret desert facility a couple years back.

Yeah my first love in rifles is/was an M14 and you know what they say about your first love. 🙂

I have not seen or handled any recent Springfield specimens, but I've read and heard they were made better in years past.  I don't think they're using  a lot of USGI parts these days (a lot of the inventory of USGI m14 parts has dried up) but that may or may not be important to you.

If you dont mind waiting there are places you can get em built with all or nearly all USGI parts.  But I also understand the "should I jump on this" aspect, ie, I can get this now. 🙂

The first M14/M1A I actually fired was a Polytech (chinese knockoff) at a range.  I liked it but what really stuck out to me was, he was trying to sell the Polytech so he could buy a Springfield.  I could have gotten his Polytech cheaper but thought long and hard, and decided I would wait and buy a Springfield.  I got one a few days later. 🙂

On 6/18/2021 at 1:06 PM, Tack14 said:

Yeah my first love in rifles is/was an M14 and you know what they say about your first love. 🙂

I have not seen or handled any recent Springfield specimens, but I've read and heard they were made better in years past.  I don't think they're using  a lot of USGI parts these days (a lot of the inventory of USGI m14 parts has dried up) but that may or may not be important to you.

If you dont mind waiting there are places you can get em built with all or nearly all USGI parts.  But I also understand the "should I jump on this" aspect, ie, I can get this now. 🙂

When I did my research on them I spoke with a bunch of guys including Phil Arrington (local to me but nationally respected national match armorer - he knows a thing or two... you can read about him here  Arrington - and if you are doing M14 / M1A stuff I highly recommend him). 

What I got from him was that the Springfield guns were excellent - and that for the most part the value add in buying USGI as opposed to Springfield was longevity.   When I asked him to quantify this he said something to the effect of "I'd start to worry about a Springfield receiver at about 100,000 rounds...   the USGI receiver should be good through 250,000 rounds..."  What I came away with was that the Springfield receiver and parts were very well made and that they are of a quality that should last nearly everyone a lifetime. 

Given that, on a good day, match grade 7.62X51 rounds are going to cost you $1.00 each,  I'm guessing that replacing my Springfield M1A because I've worn it out is not a problem I'll ever afford to have...  🙂

Edited by BigNate
formatting

haha..  wow thanks BigNate that is really good to hear and I am glad SAI is turning out high quality M1A's these days.  Nice to hear a current "range report" and solid word from a good m14 NM armorer who knows what they're talking about. I won't pretend I am.

And I also hear  you about nationally respected national match armorer.. it is surely nice to know of some and thank you for the info on Phil Arrington.   I'll spare everyone the details but I got bitten really, really bad by a has-been bullshi7 artist with a good reputation around the piss-ant military town I grew up in and the range I was shooting at just about every weekend in those days.    One of the life lessons that little experience taught me is that sometimes the reason people have a good reputation is not because they are good at what they do or even care about the quality of the work they put their name on, but rather because the people they surround themselves with are morons or just trust whatever they're told. :)

I decided next time I wanted an M14 I would build it my damn self.   I figured if I could completely disassemble (well, leaving the barrel on the receiver and leaving the oprod guide on the barrel), blast, clean, prep, re-park, and reassemble an M14 successfully and it still drive tacks afterwards then a few more M1/M14 tools would get me the rest of the way there, not needing anybody else to do it for me.  Got the tools for the most part.  Hope to get situated again someday where I can mess with that stuff, I'd quit my day job in a heartbeat if I could... 

Also hear you on the affordability of wearing out the rifle, haha.  :)

Thanks Big Nate! Great stuff!