• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Plan to start my MA-TEN build soon. Custom built Sniper model.

SOCOM1

I plan to start my MA-TEN custom build soon. I am calling it the Mega SASS. Here are the parts I have chosen so far. I have probably forgotten something. If so, please let me know. Suggestions appreciated.

Mega Arms MA-TEN matched Upper & lower

Krieger 20" M110 SASS barrel, 1-12 twist

SI Defense 416 Stainless carrier and 9310 Carbon steel bolt with FailZero

Superior Weapons Systems Revision 3 Sniper free float handguard  with knurled hand grip

Spike's Tactical ST-T3 buffer

Spike's Tactical ST-T0 Buffer spacer

Magpul Industries PRS buttstock

Larue Tactical Super Duty Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring

Lower Kit - Spike's Enhanced Parts Kit

Battle Arms Developmen Ambi Safety Selector

Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger - LARGE PIN

Larue Tactical low profile gas block

Any ideas?

You'll need a pistol grip.

I don't understand why you picked so many top shelf parts, then threw in some Spikes stuff. Spikes is ok for a budget rifle, but there are much better parts out there. I didn't know they made a LPK for the 308 yet.

That SI Defense BCG is gonna be sexy, but unless you locked in a pre-order those cost $600 now. :o

A Yeoung Mfg carrier w/ a JP bolt and a VTAC handguard would save you some money for other features, like a nice scope.

Krieger 20" M110 SASS barrel, 1-12 twist

Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger - LARGE PIN

Couple questions about this part of parts selection - Why a 1:12 twist, especially when doing the M110 barrel, and Custom built Sniper model.  What bullets do you plan to shoot with this, as a Sniper model?  If you're shooting heavy, you should really consider something with a faster twist than a 1:12. 

Next - that LARGE PIN Geissele trigger is only gonna fit a Colt lower from the ban era - Nobody else ever made a Large-Pin lower.  It will not fit your Mega lower.  At all.  Just sayin'... 

That SSA-E trigger is a very sweet unit, though - just put one in a build I'm doing.  Very nice. 

That Spike's T3 buffer weighs in at 5.4oz.  An Armalite AR-10 rifle buffer comes in at 5.4oz, and an Armalite AR-10 carbine buffer is also 5.4oz. 

That Spike's T3 (and spacer) will be good for a rifle-length receiver extension build - at least as good as any other standard .308 rifle or carbine buffer.  After shooting it a little bit, you might find that you want more weight there, and a Tubb CWS could help you out, if that's the case. 

I hope not, man - this is info he needs for the build.  I'd hope it's the opposite of being scared off...  <thumbsup> <dontknow> ;D

yeah man, you're not being chastized, we are just trying to help. remember all info provided can help steer you into the right direction, even if you try what you have first then decide to go back and try something else, it's here

No, you did not scare me off. I have been working A LOT (which is what is funding this build). I have also been doing some research.

Thanks for letting gme know on the trigger pin size. I have found the correct one for my build.

I also have decided to use a different handguard. I really like the look of the KAC M110 SASS, so I am considering the KAC URX or something similar, open to suggestion here.

Also, the barrel is a 1:10 twist. Sorry for the typo.

The URX has a proprietary barrel nut, which requires a special barrel nut wrench for installation.  That barrel nut wrench is only made by...  KAC.  It will cost you more than $250 for the barrel nut wrench.  Example:

http://www.operationparts.com/KAC_Knight_s_Armament_URX_Barrel_Nut_Wrench_p/20495.htm

Since you specified "or something similar," I'd start looking at what looks similar in your eyes - it's all up to you.  Another option, if you're set on the URX, is to buy it from a vendor that will install it for free, for you.  You'd have to ship them the upper, but they install your rail.  One company that I can think of that does that is The Gun Gallery, in Florida.

I like that look, too, but I went a different route - Troy MRF-308, with the KAC panels on it.  Had bags of those panels stored away, anyway.  Here's how mine ended up looking:

308CurrentMods4.jpg

Thread:

http://308ar.com/forum/dpms-lr-308-general-technical-discussion/lr308-self-build/

I am planning a  build soon. I was looking towards the SI Defense Billet Matched set coated in Nickel Boron. On the other hand I want to go with a Noveske Barell. Do I have to go with the MA-TEN to use the Noveske? If I do go with the Noveske I will just send the MA-Ten out and have it NIB Coated. As far as the bolt and BCG what do you all think?

Wmdguns.com does very affordable NiB coating.

As far a BCG's are concerned. I think how you plan to gas your rifle is important first. If the rifle is ever going to have a MIL/LE duty use, get a standard gas block. If competition/paper poking is your game, go for an adjustable gas block. I don't believe in precision pistons.

A good sturdy BCG is perfect for duty use. Fulton or YM make good clean gear. SI Defense is really nice, but twice the cost. Then add a CWS, CS flat spring and an upgraded buffer.

Competition and bench shooting, I have to say the JP "Low Mass" BCG combined with a good spring and controlled gas. I would stay away from heavy buffers, but I might consider a hydraulic buffer.

Since precision is your aim, and not combat, I would go for a good heavy (Cooley?) break.

I was actually looking at the SJC Titan for my brake. I want to go with an 18" Noveske Barrell. Do I have to use the MA-TEN with this barrell or can I use the SI Defense? It says that the Noveske is only for use with AR10 uppers, but the SI Defense is built with a DPMS height upper. What gives? I am definitely going with the factory installed low profile gas block.

SI Defense is DPMS/KAC compatible. The MA-10 is both, Armalite or DPMS, but you can't mix and match parts. If you get an AR-10 barrel, then you need an AR-10 bolt.

If your heart is set on a Noveske barrel, you will have to build an Armalite compatible rifle.

The BCG you described is only made by SI Defense (hence, DPMS only). I don't know of an Armalite equivilant. The SI-D BCG IS $600 now. You can get similar BCG's and send them in for NiB, TiN or hard chrome coating... All for much less.

Ok here is what I found out from Mega on their site.

"Magazines… take your pick. Any SR25/DPMS compatible magazine such as Magpul, Knight, DPMS, CMMG, and C products.

Bolts & Barrels

Designed to accept any AR style .308 barrels and bolts*. This means you can use your AR10/Noveske or SR25/DPMS components.

*We recommend using the same manufacture for your barrel and bolt. As always assembly should be done by a qualified gunsmith, using the proper head spacing gages."

To clarify for others. The uppers dont care what barrel you use. Match the barrel extension and your bolt. Please dont mix bolts and carriers stick with one brand 100% for the BCG. To me it's a bad idea to use an Armalite carrier with a DPMS bolt or vice versa. Someday if the weapon is sold it could be problematic for the new owner.