• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mr. Herschel Williams

unforgiven

Thank you for sharing this article.

This book sits on the shelf in my office.  It was given to me as gift from our executive leadership when I worked for a company that contracts to the Department of Veterans Affairs.  From time to time I open it up and spend a couple of minutes reading.   

MOHBook.jpg

Seeing this thread I thought I'd try to find Mr. Williams in the book.  He was there - and here is his page.

WWQuoteM.jpg

Semper Fi Mr. Williams...  Thank you for your service - and your wisdom. 

Edited by BigNate

4 hours ago, BigNate said:

Look at the picture at the head of the article - Mr. Williams receiving his MoH.   Then look at the inscription on the bottom of the cover of the book. 

Wild, how it ties together like that. 

See if Lewis Millett has a quote in there, and Larry Rosser.  I've met them both.  I met COL Lewis Millett When I was on a Funeral Detail over Memorial Day Weekend, first female killed in Desert Storm.  He was at that same cemetery putting flowers on his son's grave.  Badass Ranger that he was, he stopped and observed our funeral detail, and came up to me afterwards.  We talked for about 25 minutes, before the dumbass 1LT that was the OIC for the detail came up and broke it up, told me we had to go.  I broke away, and jerked a fucking KNOT in that LT's ASS right away...   He didn't even notice the MOH at the top of his ribbon stack.   He felt like a - well, like a Lieutenant - after that. 

Lewis Millett saluting 1985.JPEG

That's the man.  He has a really interesting story.  Court Martialld for Desertion, then given a Direct Commission, and sent back in the Army.

57 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's the man.  He has a really interesting story.  Court Martialld for Desertion, then given a Direct Commission, and sent back in the Army.

Interesting character, I like how he deserted( mid 1941) to join the Canadian Army and joined my grandfather's regiment and while in England the USA joined the war so he transferred back to the US Army. He served with distinction winning the Silver Star, plus then a sergeant, next took part in the Allied invasion of Italy and fought in the Battle of Salerno and the subsequent Battle of Anzio. It was at this time that the U.S. Army discovered Millet's 1941 desertion; he was court-martialed, convicted, ordered to pay a US$52 fine, and stripped of his leave privileges. Only weeks later, he was given a battlefield commission to second lieutenant.

So it only took the army bureaucracy almost 3 years to figure out he had deserted( to fight Nazis) then returned and served with distinction.  

When I met the man, he had deep ties to 25th Infantry Division (Light) and 7th Infantry Division (Light) - and I was from 7th ID(L) doing that funeral detail.  That's what led him to approach us that day.  What led him to come up to me, and address me directly was the Ranger Tab. 

Lewis Millett was the (at the time) the President of the 27th Infantry Regiment Wolfhound Association.   All Battalions of the 27th Infantry Regiment were either assigned to 25th ID or 7th ID, then.  The 7th ID patch and the Tab led him straight to me.  My shock was looking at his ribbon stack, with that CMH on top.  My LT got the worst NCO-AssKicking of his entire life after that - which he fully deserved, and of which, he fully realized and learned from. 

I got to meet a Legend, and school a fucking LT in the same 30 minute span.  I've had a few of those moments in my career, and that one is right there at the top.  Schooling an idiotic Detachment Commander comes in at #2, a Marine Intel CPT is #3, and various other LTs along the way follow it up. 

Stand your ground.   Never waver.  If you are right - then you are right.  Fix it THEN.  :thumbup:

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Wild, how it ties together like that. 

See if Lewis Millett has a quote in there, and Larry Rosser.  I've met them both.  I met COL Lewis Millett When I was on a Funeral Detail over Memorial Day Weekend, first female killed in Desert Storm.  He was at that same cemetery putting flowers on his son's grave.  Badass Ranger that he was, he stopped and observed our funeral detail, and came up to me afterwards.  We talked for about 25 minutes, before the dumbass 1LT that was the OIC for the detail came up and broke it up, told me we had to go.  I broke away, and jerked a fucking KNOT in that LT's ASS right away...   He didn't even notice the MOH at the top of his ribbon stack.   He felt like a - well, like a Lieutenant - after that. 

I found Col Millet.  I did not find a "Larry Rosser" - but I did find a quote from Ronald E Rosser and this site https://valor.defense.gov/Recipients/Army-Medal-of-Honor-Recipients/#r has only one "Rosser" in it - a Korean War Army veteran.   I've included both below. My previous employer was heavily involved in supporting the MoH related organizations and I've had the privilege of hearing two MoH recipients speak - but I've never had the chance to sit down with one face to face.  I fear for the butter-bar...

I love both these quotes.

Col Millet

Col Millet.jpg

Cpl Rosser

Cpl Rosser.jpg

Edited by BigNate

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

When I met the man, he had deep ties to 25th Infantry Division (Light) and 7th Infantry Division (Light) - and I was from 7th ID(L) doing that funeral detail.  That's what led him to approach us that day.  What led him to come up to me, and address me directly was the Ranger Tab. 

Lewis Millett was the (at the time) the President of the 27th Infantry Regiment Wolfhound Association.   All Battalions of the 27th Infantry Regiment were either assigned to 25th ID or 7th ID, then.  The 7th ID patch and the Tab led him straight to me.  My shock was looking at his ribbon stack, with that CMH on top.  My LT got the worst NCO-AssKicking of his entire life after that - which he fully deserved, and of which, he fully realized and learned from. 

I got to meet a Legend, and school a fucking LT in the same 30 minute span.  I've had a few of those moments in my career, and that one is right there at the top.  Schooling an idiotic Detachment Commander comes in at #2, a Marine Intel CPT is #3, and various other LTs along the way follow it up. 

Stand your ground.   Never waver.  If you are right - then you are right.  Fix it THEN.  :thumbup:

🍺🍺🇺🇸