• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Tuner for finding nodes.

Nocturnalham

After watching Eric Cortina's "chasing the lands is stupid" video and his promotion for his barrel tuner/muzzle brake, I decided to buy a similar product from Short action precision called the "Adaptive Tuning System ". The reason being because I wanted to use my own brake. 

My theory is I can use the tuner to find a good accuracy node without farting around with seating depths; given everything else is consistent.

I have not yet done any tests yet. Are there any oversights that I'm not considering?

Eric Cortina's tuner 

https://www.shootsmallgroups.com/?s=Tuner&post_type=product

Short action precision tuner

https://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/adaptive-tuning-system

Chasing the lands is stupid videos 

I haven't used his tuner partly because none of my barrels are rigged for it. I wouldn't skip testing seating depths I mean...he doesn't to my knowledge hence his chasing the lands vid.  But I'm sure if you are trying to get the extra few bits in terms of accuracy it's going to get you there.

Edited by shaffe48

8 hours ago, shaffe48 said:

I haven't used his tuner partly because none of my barrels are rigged for it. I wouldn't skip testing seating depths I mean...he doesn't to my knowledge hence his chasing the lands vid.  But I'm sure if you are trying to get the extra few bits in terms of accuracy it's going to get you there.

I understand. The biggest reason I'm using the tuner is because I have BSF CF barrel. It's a good barrel, but it's very floppy. I can confirm that rigidity increases with heat. I hate messing with seating depths so I'm hoping I can just pick one to fit the magazine and be done with it. 

16 minutes ago, Nocturnalham said:

The biggest reason I'm using the tuner is because I have BSF CF barrel.

I'm gonna be pissed if my BSF barrel needs something like that to shoot, bought the thing because I was looking for stiffness to hold up that suppressor, I need to get that build finished and see what I have.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, jtallen83 said:

I'm gonna be pissed if my BSF barrel needs something like that to shoot, bought the thing because I was looking for stiffness to hold up that suppressor, I need to get that build finished and see what I have.

You'll be fine. I suggest you reload to tune it properly. As I've said the way the barrel is made it will become stiffer as it heats up. I tested it with a 20 round string shooting as fast as I could (accurately) at 100 yards and noticed my groups either tightened up or stayed the same. It was a long time ago so I'm sorry for being vague. But I can say for certain that my groups didn't get worse. I was extremely frustrated with factory ammo hence the reason I started reloading. Good luck.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2021 at 11:55 PM, shaffe48 said:

You need to watch a few more of his videos .Erik  does do seating depth test on his PRS and F-Class Shehane and his new Wheeler..

Seating depth doesn't help much when we are limited by our magazine's so a tuner brake is a welcome addition. his tuner brakes are the best I have found so far 

My 308( before I sent it in for a re barrel) would average 1.2 moa at 100yds with a lot of recoil and the groups closed to .75 @100  without  even starting to tune plus my rifle went straight back and my scope never moved off target.  Recoil tamed down a lot as well

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Erics Tuner is a great tool but it is NOT! a fix all for hand loads you still have to do the work and find a good powder charge, then find a good seating depth node.

Then you use the tuner /Brake to fine tune your load then you will have about as good a load as what your barrel and action can produce. Your crimps need to be consistent I mean to the knats a$$... as they effect pressure and that will in the long run effect your groups. Of course I am talking semi Auto guns here bolt guns are a different animal. That tuner will make a good gun Great and a great gun into a winning gun but !!!!!!! it will NOT turn crappy ammo into awesome ammo...

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 6:32 AM, Nocturnalham said:

I understand. The biggest reason I'm using the tuner is because I have BSF CF barrel. It's a good barrel, but it's very floppy. I can confirm that rigidity increases with heat. I hate messing with seating depths so I'm hoping I can just pick one to fit the magazine and be done with it. 

The tuner no matter who makes it is NOT a shortcut to amazing accuracy you still have to do the work you still have to find a powder node, the right powder, the right bullet, and the right seating depth within the confines of the weapon system you are using THEN it will fine tune your load...