• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 AR Comparison Thread

planeflyer21

I don't see one already, how about starting it here?

Those of you that have more than one brand of .308AR type rifle or carbine can post pics, put what you feel are pros/cons of each.  For example, if you have an Armalite AR-10 and a Knight SR25, field strip them, photos of them side by side.

Hunh? Hunh?  Hunh?!?

Jon

I thought I did my homework on .308 stoner type rifles but the industry is larger than I thought the Mega-10 was very interesting what was the cost for base model?RRA is working on P-mag for Lar-8 think they been having problems the tech I spoke to said it should be resolved shortly.Shoot on bro.

Now unforgiven, that would irritate me...I just got 15 brand new Korean FAL mags!  <thumbsup>

I like my RRA Operator!  I'm thinking I may go mid-length upper, make it the "carbine" .308, then build a MA-10.

"Honey!  Can we get a NOTHER safe?  This one's full..."

It was easy to lie when it was all lever guns.

Jon

Thanks bro clicked and saved great price for new,Sportmans guide has Sellier &Bellot 147-gr. .308 FMJ w/can for $179.97 500rds.$0.36 rd. F.Y.I.Shoot on bro. <thumbsup>

Heads Up

I was just about to order this ammo last week,but looking a lil closer this stuff is corrosive....  never shot that in any of my rifles

:)  Wash

Must have missed that did see was not reloadable with a chrome barrel don't know if it's a problem,just figured its something to burn up and hone skills have only shot less than 500 .308 ever, anybody got any thoughts on firing corrosive ammo and cleaning procedures that follow? 500 Rd's. w/ free shipping was to good to pass up for me.Good eye Wash.Shoot on bro. [guess I shouldn't lick the barrel] <dontknow>

Unforgiven, You need to get a sonic washer or a solvent bath. We used to use them to wash small engine parts. Just drop the parts in the cleaner, turn on the machine, and leave it alone. When you come back after a few hours, everything is clean... Similar to how a brass tumbler works. It still takes hours... but they are auto hours, not your hours.

Brother Jon trying to look at other sites for info some say corrosive ammo was used during WWII in garands,is it the primer that's the problem?Some say spray ammonia it's the chamber, bore, BC assy affected correct?Is the lower affected? I have a bolt not the same as LAR-8.What do you think? <dontknow>.Thanks bro,Shoot on.

Never heard about the ammonia trick.  If you just clean it well that should keep it safe also.

Most U.S. manufacturers quit using corrosive primers by the 1960s.  The Eastern Europeans, India, China, still use them though.

The issue with the direct gas system is gas with that stuff gets dumped EVERYWHERE, making that cleanup more tedious. 

My solution would be to shoot it all in one sitting.  <thumbsup>

Jon

Like that idea brother Jon will pack a lunch and burn it up,it's the fulminate of mercury in the primer that's the problem[to ensure indefineite shelf life] I think gas tube is stainless just got to worry bout BC assy, chamber and bore I think I will also feed some to Savage Axis I have.Glad I didn't buy more than I did completely missed the corrosive part of description[blinded by low] price should have known better.Shoot on bro. <dontknow>

Unforgiven, everyone, read a little history.

Long ago a brilliant metallurgist was able to combine iron with other metals, in order to make a rust resistant steel.  This was called, naturally, stain less steel.

Then marketing got a hold of it.

And it became stainless steel.  But it will rust and corrode still...just nowhere near as fast as carbon steel.

Clean that gas tube brother!

Jon

They sell extra long pipe cleaners to clean them.

You can go to a tobacco shop and get like 100 for a couple of bucks.

You can go to an art supply store and get like a million, in different colors, with eyes and stuff.

I still need to pick those things up.

While on the subject of odds and ends that help with gun cleaning, a lady student of mine told me about these things women buy at beauty stores.  They are like a Q-tip but with sponge on the end, and come like 500 for $4 in a bag.  They are stiffer than a Q-tip too...great for wiping out crap.

Jon

What do suggest I use for gas tube sure is a small hole?Don't have anything in my kit.How do I go about cleaning tube? <dontknow>.Shoot on bro.

You don't. The tubes rarely cost more than $25. The cost of your time plus effort is worth more. After about 7k rounds or so (if you are having rifle trouble) just replace the SOB. The tube is much wider than the gas block hole. Id make sure that hole stayed clear of build up and debris and forget the tube.

If it's that big of a deal. Strip the tube off, soak it in Simple Green, then swing by the local tobacco shop for some long pipe cleaners.