• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New AR10 build

Mike8623

'Preciate the reply, Mike8623. VERY glad to hear that! Best wishes on the Beo! Sounds like an interesting - and fun - build.

My AR308 feels pretty tight - y'all get yer minds outta the gutter😁! Charging handle is fairly hard to pull back with a round charged. The upper was test fired before it left the manufacturer with no problems. So, I'm attributing the difficulty to it's newness. My buffer tube assembly is an Aero kit with a 3.8oz buffer. I believe it'll smooth out with break in. We shall see!

On 3/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, Patrad said:

'Preciate the reply, Mike8623. VERY glad to hear that! Best wishes on the Beo! Sounds like an interesting - and fun - build.

My AR308 feels pretty tight - y'all get yer minds outta the gutter😁! Charging handle is fairly hard to pull back with a round charged. The upper was test fired before it left the manufacturer with no problems. So, I'm attributing the difficulty to it's newness. My buffer tube assembly is an Aero kit with a 3.8oz buffer. I believe it'll smooth out with break in. We shall see!

Buy a new buffer, that one is no good. Check your spring and extension while you are at it. 

13 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Buy a new buffer, that one is no good. Check your spring and extension while you are at it. 

Howdy edgecrusher, 'preciate the input. Since I haven't run into this before, I'm curious what makes you think that the buffer is bad (I like to expand my knowledge every chance I get - hope ya don't mind me asking), and I don't have a problem doing so if needed?? I know it's no guarantee of things being good, but the buffer, spring, and extension are all part of a new Aero kit. Forgot to add it in the first post, but it was also difficult without any ammo or the mag by itself. Seems to have loosened up somewhat after manually working it a bit. 'Preciate any info.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Edited by Patrad

39 minutes ago, Patrad said:

Howdy edgecrusher, 'preciate the input. Since I haven't run into this before, I'm curious what makes you think that the buffer is bad (I like to expand my knowledge every chance I get - hope ya don't mind me asking), and I don't have a problem doing so if needed?? I know it's no guarantee of things being good, but the buffer, spring, and extension are all part of a new Aero kit. Forgot to add it in the first post, but it was also difficult without any ammo or the mag by itself. Seems to have loosened up somewhat after manually working it a bit. 'Preciate any info.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Because you buffer should be about 5 1/2 oz range for these large frame guns.

49 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Because you buffer should be about 5 1/2 oz range for these large frame guns.

Thanks shooterrex. 'Scuse my lack of knowledge, but how would this affect it without being fired, just manually cycled??

Y'all take care,
Mike.

18 minutes ago, Mike8623 said:

"Got a question for you guys. When I got into milling this lower it started to look a lot the chips were polymer versus alum or a mix of both. Look at the pics any opinions. I was under the impression I was buying alum blank"

Howdy Mike8623. It does look different than the ones I've done that were aluminum. Not suggesting that yours aren't, just that they look different.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Edited by Patrad

6 hours ago, Patrad said:

Thanks shooterrex. 'Scuse my lack of knowledge, but how would this affect it without being fired, just manually cycled??

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Doesn't make a hill of beans how it does when you manually cycle it, but it makes a world of difference when you pull the trigger - and expect to be able to pull the trigger again.

Read this, and it'll break down the two systems that actually make this gun run right:

8 hours ago, Mike8623 said:

Got a question for you guys. When I got into milling this lower it started to look a lot the chips were polymer versus alum or a mix of both. Look at the pics any opinions. I was under the impression I was buying alum blank

20220310_110807.jpg

20220310_110757.jpg

I'm thinking it's the difference between forged and billet. It looks like your lower is forged. 

Edited by jim3326

On 3/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, Mike8623 said:

Got a question for you guys. When I got into milling this lower it started to look a lot the chips were polymer versus alum or a mix of both. Look at the pics any opinions. I was under the impression I was buying alum blank

20220310_110807.jpg

20220310_110757.jpg

If it were me I would pass on that one. Never seen that before. While poly lowers are a thing I don’t think they are up to the stress in the long run. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Doesn't make a hill of beans how it does when you manually cycle it, but it makes a world of difference when you pull the trigger - and expect to be able to pull the trigger again.

Read this, and it'll break down the two systems that actually make this gun run right:

Many thanks, 98. In the middle of reading it now. A most excellent post, sir. I was planning to experiment with the weights, but now I'll be starting with the H3. Gotta get one ordered immediately!

Y'all take care,

Mike.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, Patrad said:

Y'all take care,
Mike.

They answered for me. You need a minimum of 5.4 oz to make it work with the correct gas. Otherwise your solving a problem by creating a new one