• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Headspace

Savage11006

Ok. I got my go no go gauges in yesterday and decided to check my headspace. I couldn't get the bolt to turn on the go guage. Toolcraft bcg with high pressure bolt and double ejectors. Barrel is not installed on the upper. I don't have an extra bolt or anyone that could lend one to check. Is there anything to do without having to buy another bolt? 

i had one do the same thing, so i tried a factory cartridge and the bolt would go in to the extension

8 hours ago, Savage11006 said:

Ok. I got my go no go gauges in yesterday and decided to check my headspace. I couldn't get the bolt to turn on the go guage. Toolcraft bcg with high pressure bolt and double ejectors. Barrel is not installed on the upper. I don't have an extra bolt or anyone that could lend one to check. Is there anything to do without having to buy another bolt? 

and turn so i ran it. works fine

7 minutes ago, Savage11006 said:

I'm wondering what the difference is between a regular bolt and the high pressure one

Smaller firing pin tip, and corresponding smaller hole in the bolt face for it. 

I had the same problem with an Aero Precision bolt and Fulton Armory barrel (Criterion blank). Fulton Armory had me send bolt and barrel to them. They said that the bolt would close on their GO gauge but still reamed approximately 1000th (according to them) more off the chamber and polished it again. Bolt now closes on my Forster GO GAUGE. 

Please note - this barrel is described as “match quality”. IOW the chamber is deliberately tight and I had tolerance stacking. Also, FA specifically stated that they only use Forster headspace gauges for whatever that’s worth. 

Also DO NOT USE CARTRIDGE to check headspace. That’s just wrong. Cartridge dimensions are deliberately spec’d slightly smaller than chambers. Think about it - they need to be. 

All gauges are good - to what the manufacturer specs, and they make them in accordance with cartridge specs.  But there are tolerances, even in the case dimension drawings, on every cartridge. 

It all comes down to what gauges your barrel manufacturer uses, when setting up their chambers for Go and No-Go, and how tight they set their headspace for those gauges.  Some gauges will give you a No-Go on a Go gauge, just based on that. 

Well here's the reply i got back from Wilson combat

The go gauge will not work with our bolts as the tolerances we have are too tight for it to work. It may be the same way with the toolcraft BCG. Apologies, but I'm not familiar enough with toolcraft to say for sure. 

Thanks, 

Mason Reynolds
Customer Service
Wilson Combat