• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sonic cleaner

I just did this about 6 weeks ago.  NiB .308AR BCG in the .260 Rem gun, the week before the June match.  I was amazed at how well it cleaned it, even in the cylinder in the front of the BCG, and how well it cleaned the shiit off the bolt tail.  I'll be doing that again, when it's necessary.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I just did this about 6 weeks ago.  NiB .308AR BCG in the .260 Rem gun, the week before the June match.  I was amazed at how well it cleaned it, even in the cylinder in the front of the BCG, and how well it cleaned the shiit off the bolt tail.  I'll be doing that again, when it's necessary.  :thumbup:

Which one did you buy?

6 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

Which one did you buy?

Not mine - dude at the shop bought it, and it's decent sized.  I took the BCG to work the week before that match, and tossed it in there, all broken down.  I ran that thing over and over while at work that day, didn't even check it - just kept turning the machine on.  At the end of the day, it was amazing.

2 minutes ago, Lane said:

I was going to ask the same. "Which one did you use"?

How large is the basket/internal capacity?

Do you clean brass with it too?

I'll check all that stuff at work tomorrow, and get the details on that cleaner up.  We clean small engine parts in it. 

I guess I know more than just gas ports, right @jtallen83?...   :popcorn:

8 minutes ago, sketch said:

You're going to make your own version aren't you? 😆 

I already use one; but not for anything "dirty". I might "need" to obtain something new though... 

Actually; now that you made me think of that. I could actually make one. I have a bunch of those ultrasonic transducers. I could take apart the one I have to check; but I'm pretty sure they are simply glued to the stainless steel "case" that holds the water. Damnit!

Pretty sure there is a pair of transducers; spaced out precisely to match the same wavelength so they work in tandem. 

Edited by Lane
do I have to build one?

4 minutes ago, Lane said:

I already use one; but not for anything "dirty". I might "need" to obtain something new though... 

Actually; now that you made me think of that. I could actually make one. I have a bunch of those ultrasonic transducers. I could take apart the one I have to check; but I'm pretty sure they are simply glued to the stainless steel "case" that holds the water. Damnit!

Yes I think they JB weld the transducers to the tub.  
I’d really like to see it if you build one, I’ve given a lot of thought to building one that could hold an upper. Always end up getting busy on other projects and forget till cleaning time again.  

I'm really thinking about building an ultrasonic all of the sudden... I know they work. And I could verify that construction by taking apart the one I have here. I was just running it a few minutes ago. 

I've got some stainless steel sheet; but there might be a cheap off the shelf tank that might be better than trying to fab something for that. Stainless is all I've ever seen for that tank component though. 

Got a bunch of other mad scientist stuff to post about. Just holding off until it's actually infallible. 

19 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

- just kept turning the machine on.  At the end of the day, it was amazing.

This is how I use mine. Run it a LOT. For long periods of time; just keep setting the timer. The water gets really hot; you know it's working....

Hot water makes it work better anyway.

Edited by Lane

2 minutes ago, Lane said:

This is how I use mine. Run it a LOT. For long periods of time; just keep setting the timer. The water gets really hot; you know it's working....

Hot water makes it work better anyway.

I’ve read warning that the wrong chemicals and the heat was bad for the metal finish. Not sure what the chemicals were. 
I was going to use simple green heard it’s works well. 

Just now, NightStalker said:

I’ve read warning that the wrong chemicals and the heat was bad for the metal finish. Not sure what the chemicals were. 
I was going to use simple green heard it’s works well. 

We use LA's Totally Awesome in the cleaner at work.  It didn't fuk up my NiB BCG at all.  This stuff:

La's Totally Awesome: Top 16 Products from All-Purpose Household Cleaners  Brand - FindThisBest

I use almost pure water in mine. With a very "simple" soapy solution "made for ultrasonic cleaners". 

I'm not sure what one would use in an engine shop. Even pure water is fine for my current use. 

The "heat" in the water can't be above 212 anyway; that would be boiling. But it does get steamy... Quite warm to the touch. (Ok; maybe with cleaning solutions... But not by a LOT.)

Edited by Lane

6 minutes ago, Lane said:

I use almost pure water in mine. With a very "simple" soapy solution "made for ultrasonic cleaners". 

I'm not sure what one would use in an engine shop. Even pure water is fine for my current use. 

The "heat" in the water can't be above 212 anyway; that would be boiling. But it does get steamy... Quite warm to the touch. (Ok; maybe with cleaning solutions... But not by a LOT.)

How big is your ultrasonic cleaner and what type? I’m looking for suggestions that won’t break the bank lol

I found this type at an estate sale at random years ago (the one in the picture is what I own). I didn't really "need" it for anything at the time; but it served me very well over the years. I believe everyone else can point you in a more useful direction.

On the other hand. And "eyeglass cleaning" ultrasonic will fit the bolt itself just fine. And a a good number of brass cases. 

You can buy that particular one in the picture for $23 on eBay right now. It's not very large inside though... Can't fit a bolt carrier fully.

Attached the MSDS for the cleaner I use. It doesn't really say much at all. My understanding is that it's a surfactant that allows the water molecules to slip by each other better. The water is what does the hammering in an ultrasonic; so they can go faster and hit harder with better lube. 

60030886_ScreenShot2022-08-05at1_04_55AM.png.34e07432b185c9d39b27639b71c23a69.pngBlitzCleanerConcentrate.pdf

It was time to change the water in my ultrasonic anyway. This is a scoop-able amount of (mostly) element 79 sediment; I've been decanting this unit for a few years. That's my evidence that the ultrasonic really works.

Would this be considered alluvial gold now? It's looking pretty chunky; and worked by water action for long periods of time.

IMG_7859.JPG

I've had pretty good luck with mine, cleaned up that 1,000 round plus mess I had on a 300BO BCG, only some minor scraping on the tail and corners inside the carrier. I use dishwasher soap and jet dry along with the heat. That combination did take some of the finish off the aluminum baffles in my Tirant when I left them in too long.

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I guess I know more than just gas ports, right @jtallen83?... 

Got something on your mind? :laffs: