• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spotting Scopes

imschur

Look at the responses for WashGuy:  "Help with spotting scopes,"  Sept 03,  2011.

My Vortex is very nice.  Trophy Tools is listed to have a booth at the Dallas Safari Club Convention in Dallas again this year,  Jan 5 - 8. 

I bought the Vortex spotting scope at the convention but had one shipped to me after the fuss was over.  Vortex Nomad 20-60x60 angled,  item# SPT-VT-NMD-60-A.  I found the packing slip dated 1/12/2010 with a staple where the sales receipt  got torn off and lost. The packing slip does not list a price.

I would suggest that the mounting clamp made by Trophy Tools,  strongest version currently available,  is worthwhile.  I have used the clamp with my SLR,  too.

Next time I need a scope I intend to try a Vortex scope.  Prices are manageable and I have seen the Vortex name dropped as the scope in use on African safari  (in the Club magazine).  I think if it is good enough for a guy to pack one to Africa for that ungodly expensive hunt and has the blessings of the PH group,  I should try one.

I think all spotting scopes get kinda shaky at full magnification , but you will generally find , the big name , big $$ ones work better at higher magnification .

I need to get a better one my self .

EXACTLTY !  Thats why you need a good tripod!

Me and Gal friend showed up at the gunclub last summer with a Konus bad azz scope so they said... and a lil fancy carbon fiber tripod <laughs> first off the konus couldnt see a 6.8 hole in the paper past 200 yards.the wind was blowing bout ten mpg looking thru the scope for more than a few seconds would make ya seasick <laughs> cause the fancy lil carbon fiber legs were vibrating....soooo sent the Konus back ...sent the lil carbon fiber legs back..and  when i went back to the range i opened my eyes and looked at what some of the pro's were using as for as tripods at least.....the scopes they were using were too costly for my taste.Spent a month looking at scopes and tripods....i cant believe this cabellas cab-80 is the winner....but its awesome...you can see the marks on steel at 500yds.....the tripod is rock steady <laughs> this ia a keeper  some of the pros had em....they are antique majestic tripods for those big ol  cameras they had back in the day wooden handles and all... when you put it on a setting, it dont move! The target at 500 is rock steady even in a wind! One more thing ..those angled eyepieces suk on a spotting scope...do yourself a favor...get a straight eyepiece ...and also when i first posted I thought it was a vortex,but it was a konus instead <munch>Wash

IMG_0296.jpg

When I bought my spotting scope at the DSC convention,  Lon Kreiger had a lot to say about a straight eyepiece and an angled eyepiece.  Mostly it seems to depend on what works for the user.  Sometimes on a shooting range it is easier to use the angled eyepiece because the scope is aimed and locked in position and the user can look down into the optics easily.  In the field a straight eyepiece is usually better because it is more "natural" to aim and find things that way.  For me,  the angled eyepiece is about the same.  It is a lot like aiming a video camera lens from a remote?  I find reference things in the image and go from there.  A few days ago,  finding a helicopter in flight with binoculars was not any easier or harder for me than pointing the spotting scope.  Still had to find references and go from there.  When shooting,  I need to find the target number out there below the backing boards in the rifle scope and then go up to the proper target on the backing board (usually 2 targets at 50 yards and 4 targets at 100 yards).

The Vortex spotting scope I bought is available with an angled or with a straight eyepiece.  Lon had me try finding a thing high on a distant wall with both options and for me it was about the same either way except for me it was easier with the angled eyepiece because I did not need to hold the scope nearly as high up.  If at all possible it is almost certainly best to try both options and go with what works best for 'you.'

To support my spotting scope or other optics I have a Bog-Pod which is primarily a shooting stick but which can be rigged to support a spotting scope or camera.  I think the Bog-Pod was bought On-Line from CheaperThanDirt.  No promises. 

I also have a Quantaray QSX 6601 TM camera tripod with variable capabilities.  This thing was bought for my SLR but can be used for other optics and devices.  I bought it at a Wolf Camera,  locally,  several years back.  This tripod is much larger and heavier than the Bog-Pod.

My third option is the mounting clamp from Trophy Tools.  It is not very big or heavy.  It is a spring clamp with a camera/optics mount bolted to it.  It is intended for clamping to anything solid from shooting range structure to car parts or trees.

Barska 20-60X60 from Cabelas counter guy said best bang for buck $50.00 on sale guys at the range thought it was better then what they had,for less money.Like brother Jon can see .22,5.56 @ 100 yrds..Has retractable hood.Shoot on bros.

That's the same one I have & I put it on a camera tripod , tripod has bubble levels.

Works OK , I can see the holes in the target, no problem , like they are in your face.