• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What could happen if you don't run a muzzle device on a build?

FOGeologist

Yes, it could change the harmonics and one result could be a change in point of impact, or change the accuracy either for the better or worse. There are muzzle devices in existence where one can change length to fine tune harmonics. I have no experience with them (maybe snake oil?) but it's been suggested by the manufacturers that they work. Does any manufacturer ever state, "We offer this add on, but it doesn't do a darn thing other than make us money?". A bayonet could be considered to be a muzzle device, though maybe not what you had in mind, and I never heard of one resulting in better accuracy when it's on the rifle. I've always heard of them degrading accuracy.  On the same track, there is a magnetic chronograph that has the sensor connected to the muzzle of the firearm and it's well known that one uses it only for velocity and not to shoot groups at the same time because it changes the flight of the bullets when it's attached.

Yet another reason for a muzzle device... I built a 300BLK and designed it deliberately to require a muzzle device of some sort to get the blast out from under the long carbon fiber handguards. Why? It's intended to wear a can 24/7/365 in it's HD role. But to lighten it that can can be removed and a blast forwarder put in it's place (actually called a linear comp', but they comp' nothing). The handguards wouldn't last long with the blast being released under the handguard. With a .308 the problem would be even worse. Of course an aluminum handguard might not have the problem, or just installing a shorter CF handguard. But I didn't want that. I wanted my weak hand out near the muzzle on the handguard for control. To see what blast will do fire a bottleneck cartridge in close proximity to paper. But I'm starting to go astray. 

1 hour ago, BrianK said:

Yes, it could change the harmonics and one result could be a change in point of impact, or change the accuracy either for the better or worse. There are muzzle devices in existence where one can change length to fine tune harmonics. I have no experience with them (maybe snake oil?) but it's been suggested by the manufacturers that they work. Does any manufacturer ever state, "We offer this add on, but it doesn't do a darn thing other than make us money?". A bayonet could be considered to be a muzzle device, though maybe not what you had in mind, and I never heard of one resulting in better accuracy when it's on the rifle. I've always heard of them degrading accuracy.  On the same track, there is a magnetic chronograph that has the sensor connected to the muzzle of the firearm and it's well known that one uses it only for velocity and not to shoot groups at the same time because it changes the flight of the bullets when it's attached.

Yet another reason for a muzzle device... I built a 300BLK and designed it deliberately to require a muzzle device of some sort to get the blast out from under the long carbon fiber handguards. Why? It's intended to wear a can 24/7/365 in it's HD role. But to lighten it that can can be removed and a blast forwarder put in it's place (actually called a linear comp', but they comp' nothing). The handguards wouldn't last long with the blast being released under the handguard. With a .308 the problem would be even worse. Of course an aluminum handguard might not have the problem, or just installing a shorter CF handguard. But I didn't want that. I wanted my weak hand out near the muzzle on the handguard for control. To see what blast will do fire a bottleneck cartridge in close proximity to paper. But I'm starting to go astray. 

Cool, well-considered response. Thank you.

I have heard (it's probably apocryphal, but I'd bet you've heard it, too) that the Moisin Nagant Carbine shoots better with the bayonet unfolded. With a piece of Soviet junk, I'd challenge anyone to do enough research to tell. 😄

1 hour ago, FOGeologist said:

Moisin Nagant

I just got my Mosin-Nagant (not carbine) out a couple of weeks ago and shot it out to 500 yards with open sites.  It is only as accurate as the eyes and hands that are using it though.

There are plenty of rifles that have a crowned barrel without a muzzle device that shoot very well.  I imagine it would depend on the barrel, even within the same model rifle.

22 hours ago, blue109 said:

The piece of Soviet junk that beat the Germans and won WW2?

Meh. The small arms in Soviet service probably DID NOT in any way help the RA win on the battlefield; probably it was more like the 100mm+ gun tubes of the artillery (and the rockets) and the tank corps that did the trick. The Soviets probably won IN SPITE of their relatively poor small arms (with the possible exception of the PPSH).

It's arguable that individual small arms haven't been much of a game-changer since WW1 in battle in general.

Could also be the millions of conscripts that the Soviets threw at the Germans. At Kursk for example the Germans lost 50,000ish and the Russians lost 150,000 if my memory serves me. When people are expendable and someone is behind you ready to kill you if you don't push forward, you push forward.