• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Trio of 3” Combat Magnums

MaineMan2

I originally bought a 3” S&W Model 66-4 new around 1990. Had no idea it was a limited production run - I just loved the balance and feel of the gun. Fast forward 25 years.  My daughter moves out to LA and suggests that she’d like to be able to protect herself. Of course?  What gun would you like?  Oh that really nice revolver. Ugh… but of course I gave it to her. After a couple months my quest for a replacement went into high gear and I eventually paid up for another 66-4. Apparently my illness went into remission but came back this year as you will see below.

Model 66-2

Model 66-3

Model 66-4 (second one)

863124C7-3AC0-4B08-89F2-8C76D8D3A75E.jpeg

B8BC9556-FAE1-4F28-90AD-563E20868AE9.jpeg

A1333AB7-97DB-4DAF-B75E-4B1940569B2A.jpeg

I do have the nice wood stocks for the 66-4 but the Hogue Bantams are great for shooting and this is NOT a safe Queen. 

Edited by MaineMan2

• 6 months later...

4" S&W 357M would be on my list. I'm hitting all around it, but...

S&W M27-2 6 1/2"

Kimber K6S 3" with added Combat stock

S&W M617-5 4"

The 617 is about the perfect size, for me, and a 357M with that configuration would be great to train with 38spl all day and carry +P SD or good SD mag loads. My point being the weight/recoil ratio, for me, works well.

The K6S is a little small for a range toy, and training is limited to about 25 rounds of 38spl. If there were a combat sized Hogue grip, it would be better, but alas, no joy. This is a great camp and trail carry for weight and form factor. IF, I were to ever land a 4" 686, this would go to bedside and the 4" would be the camp and trail gun.

The M27 - sheer phucking pleasure/hoot to shoot! This was my dad's and his face always lit up with joy when we went to the range to phuck off and this came along. Matter of fact, I do not remember any time we went to the range and this did not come along. 38spl comes out of this like 22WMR out of a 4" pistol, and the magnum rounds take accurate flight out past 50 yards with little effort on the part of the shooter. To be this thrilled by a mere revolver should be morally questionable, but...

M27-2 RIGHT.jpg

combat grip left.jpg

20221021_075813.jpg