• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel threading and suppressor questions.

jlaw

I have a question im hoping you fine AR fans may be able to shed some light on. I am planning on putting a suppressor on a CMMG MK3 that I am waiting on. My question is a two parter. First and foremost what do you gentlemen think about DIY barrel threading? I have done some research and watched a few you tube videos on the subject, and with the right tools it doesn't seem to be that difficult. I would be buying the kit ( die, thread alignment tool, ect). Anyone done this themselves ? Dodgy or cheap an effective?

Last but not least, I want to acquire a silence through a Revocable trust. I have been told my CLEO will not sign a form 4. A revocable trust is a way to by pass his approval, in the past here in NC it has been iffy.. But as of Dec 1st 2011 they passed a law saying that it is defenantly 100% legit. Long story short I have typed up a trust specifically for firearms. I'm ready to have her notarized And send it off with the forms to BATF. Question is, anyone here try / accomplish this? How was the process? Did you have a lawyer write your trust, or did you use quicken and modify it like I did? Any info would be fantastic. Thanks  again guys!

I have no knowledge of the legal end of it so can offer nothing in regard to the trust, but personally, I would want to use a lathe to thread a barrel for use with a suppressor. For safety reasons as well as function/accuracy reasons, concentricity is extremely important when mounting a suppressor. Just out of curiosity, how do you plan to turn down the end of the barrel to the appropriate major dia for the thread? Please post your results with regard to the trust. I'm sure there are many here that would find the information invaluable.

I read some folks had issues with the BATFE  and Quicken for trusts. I used an attorney, it cost me $500. The trust actually makes a lot of sense beyond the class III stuff. It can protect your collection in the event of legal troubles. You can also spell out exactly what should happen to your collection should you die or become temporarily incapacitated. Example, if you get in an ugly divorce and the wife says you threatened her, cops cant take your collection. Your collection would go to the next person specified in the trust. 

For safety reasons as well as function/accuracy reasons, concentricity is extremely important when mounting a suppressor.

There are companies that make barrels for a living, names that we see everyday - some of them don't have concentric threads.  Not from one particular manufacturer - from alot of them.  One here, one there, once in awhile... 

Once you've purchased that can, paid the stamp, and waited the time, it would sure suck to have a baffle strike.  The worst thing that could happen is it injures you.  Best thing that could happen would be nothing more than it ruins the can.  Just send the barrel off to ADCO to have them cut concentric threads for suppressor use.  It's not that expensive ($65).

Yep it would not be fun to waste all that time, money, and effort. Thanks for the replies gentlemen. As for the trust situation I'm gunna talk to a lawyer about that for sure. I no that many many many a people have used quicken and been approved. But there is a crappy loop hole that could place me in a #$%^ load of trouble.. Say the ATF approves my trust and ses " Yep good to go heres a full auto and a silencer..." and it turns out that my trust is invalid. Then I am in possession of class 2 items ILLEGALLY.. Big no no. Up to $25000 fine and ten years federal pound me in the $%@ vacation time if my memory serves me correctly.. Either way I feel that getting that trust looked at by an attorney is the best way to go, specially in the circumstances you guys outlined. Its always good to have a safe guard.. Having something that protects my multi thousand dollar investments on all my weapons is invaluable.

If that is a do it yourself die kit there is almost zero chance of you getting a quality thread that's straight, square and concentric with bore .. needs to be done on a lathe by an experienced machinist.....if you were installing a sloppy muzzle brake you might make it work.even then I wouldn't do it....this is one of those " Don't try this at home " things you hear about

• 2 months later...

I talked with my gunsmith about getting my barrel threaded for a suppressor and he said he can definitely do it, but that I should wait until the suppressor arrives because he does something called a "one-to-one" threading, which means he threads my barrel EXACTLY to the actual threads of the suppressor to be sure it is a perfect match and virtually NO chance of a baffle strike.  The price is a little high ($100), but I don't want to be cheap on something like this. 

DEFINITELY NOT something I would want to attempt on my own with no experience having read a few books and seen a few videos on YouTube.  I would recommend getting it done right by a professional who knows what he/she's doing. 

The gun trust is also something that should be done by a pro (lawyer).  I'd hate to risk my freedom, guns and suppressor (multiple thousands of dollars and months/years of time and research) for the cost of a single pistol ($500). 

• 2 weeks later...

I think what he means is he matches the threads on the barrel to the exact threads on the suppressor.  Obviously, to do that he needs the suppressor first, so he recommended I wait to have the barrel threaded.  He seemed to throw the term "one to one" around like it was his term and not necessarily an industry term.  I guess it was his term for exactly matching threads.  The way he explained it was that the threading on the barrel is exactly matched to the threading in the suppressor for near perfect concentricity and therefore, FAR less likely to have a baffle strike.  Sounded pretty exact to me and he does good work, so I trust him.  He stands by his work. 

• 5 months later...

I am a machinist and I thread barrels for myself and customers all the time.

I would NEVER use a die to cut threads on a barrel. Now, if you want to chase some existing threads or straiten up a "ding" on some threads - sure, no problem.

As far as matching threads to the suppressor, it's your barrel, but that's not what I would do. I do not want a barrel that *may* only fit one device correctly. You are counting on the threads of the suppressor being perfect - and they may very well be, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Make sure the barrel is in the lathe correctly, indicated to the BORE, not the O.D. - and cut the threads to spec. I use a combination of a quality pitch mic and a flash hider for "functional check". If your numbers are in spec (major, pitch, minor) - and it passes functional check - your golden.

Not dissing your gunsmith, just sharing how I have done MANY barrels that have made 100% of my customers happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had the gunsmith match the threads exactly to my titanium suppressor so that things would be perfectly concentric.  It's not "just some muzzle device"...it's an $800 titanium suppressor that I've spent more than 8 months researching, buying and waiting (and counting).  The Noveske "flaming pig" I purchased to try to mimic a suppressor as much as possible without actually being a suppressor as well as act as a thread protector when I'm not using the suppressor threaded onto the perfectly matched threads just fine.  If it hadn't, I would rather the $800 suppressor thread on my barrel properly and be safe than the $125 compensator. 

Not dissing your customer satisfaction rating, just telling you how it worked out great.