• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

22-250 AR10 Platform, No cycle

Steve S

Ok I have basically same build. Bear creek ar10 in 22-250.  Will cycle but will not pick up next round.  Found bolt not coming all the way back to pick it up.  Removed buffer it weighs 106 grains.  Took it apart removed weights 1 at a time has 2.  1st weight dropped it down to 88 grains still does not cycle removed all weights.  It now weighs 68 grains and it cycles fine now no issues.    I'm also running 40gr vmax bullet at 4100fps.  I checked this with other ar15. There buffers are around 88 grains but there are long and will not work in the ar10. Hope this helps...

Edited by jes
Spelling

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, jes said:

Ok I have basically same build. Bear creek ar10 in 22-250.  Will cycle but will not pick up next round.  Found bolt not coming all the way back to pick it up.  Removed buffer it weighs 106 grains.  Took it apart removed weights 1 at a time has 2.  1st weight dropped it down to 88 grains still does not cycle removed all weights.  It now weighs 68 grains and it cycles fine now no issues.    I'm also running 40gr vmax bullet at 4100fps.  I checked this with other ar15. There buffers are around 88 grains but there are long and will not work in the ar10. Hope this helps...

Grains????

There's like 7000 grains to a pound.

Hopefully you mean grams.

If you have to take that much weight out of the buffer your gas port is too small.

44 minutes ago, jes said:

Ok I have basically same build. Bear creek ar10 in 22-250.  Will cycle but will not pick up next round.  Found bolt not coming all the way back to pick it up.  Removed buffer it weighs 106 grams.  Took it apart removed weights 1 at a time has 2.  1st weight dropped it down to 88 grams still does not cycle removed all weights.  It now weighs 68 grains and it cycles fine now no issues.    I'm also running 40gr vmax bullet at 4100fps.  I checked this with other ar15. There buffers are around 88 grams but there are long and will not work in the ar10. Hope this helps...

33 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Grains????

There's like 7000 grains to a pound.

Hopefully you mean grams.

If you have to take that much weight out of the buffer your gas port is too small.

Yes I did mean grams sorry wasn't thinking.  So if my gas port is to small how would I go about making it larger to get more gas pressure.

3 hours ago, jes said:

Yes I did mean grams sorry wasn't thinking.  So if my gas port is to small how would I go about making it larger to get more gas pressure.

Please hit the intro section then start your own thread about your rifle.

Most folks drill the gas port out bigger after they figure out what size it needs to be.

FWIW, I just fixed a suppressed and unsuppressed gun through PMs.  16" rifle gas .308 Win barrel with a 0.750" gas block journal diameter.  That ain't easy.  But the gun runs perfectly now, according to the owner. 

People can listen - or not listen.  Goes both ways, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 10:39 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm not even getting into that one.  The blueprint has already been posted.  What needs to be done has already been posted.  These guys can either do it, or not.  I'm out.

Wow, Nice.

Anyway, I have used your recommendations and the only change to your recommendations was I changed out the Orange Spring to the Sprinco Blue Spring. It didn't like the orange spring. Didn't travel far enough back and certainly didn't lock back once the last rd. was ejected. H3 buffer (Odin 5.7oz) and Sprinco Blue spring with the adjustable gas block, the 22-250 seemed to be running pretty smooth today, in fact, I would say the gun had a good day on the range today. I appreciate your insight and the info and tips I got from this group.

I won't take up any more of your time or bother you anymore.

Thanks.

Steve S 

USN-Ret

59 minutes ago, Steve S said:

Wow, Nice.

Did you even notice that someone here named "jes" jumped into your thread, with a bunch of his own problems, not your problems?  Did you catch that, or did you think I was talking to you directly?

:popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

26 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Did you even notice that someone here named "jes" jumped into your thread, with a bunch of his own problems, not your problems?  Did you catch that, or did you think I was talking to you directly?

:popcorn:

Yeh I noticed, I would hope people keep it appropriate but some people just don’t I guess. 
thanks 

Bear Creek Arsenal AR-10, 22-250. 24 inch barrel 1:14 twist. Bolt doesnt come back far enough to pick up next round nor lock back on empty mag. I know this because i recorded the bolt in slow mo and ejected brass is 3-5 o’clock and not stained from over-gassing. Need recommendations on either lighter buffer weight or lighter spring. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Dewey Johnskn said:

Bear Creek Arsenal AR-10, 22-250. 24 inch barrel 1:14 twist. Bolt doesnt come back far enough to pick up next round nor lock back on empty mag. I know this because i recorded the bolt in slow mo and ejected brass is 3-5 o’clock and not stained from over-gassing. Need recommendations on either lighter buffer weight or lighter spring. Thanks.

How about you start a new thread on your gun.

Check out the waterboarding thread. That's the kind of info we need to help you fix your gun.

Just now, shooterrex said:

How about you start a new thread on your gun.

Check out the waterboarding thread. That's the kind of info we need to help you fix your gun.

Im not familiar with this site and how it works, just found it on a google search and was trying to get a quick answer on what i think would be an easy problem as im very familiar with these weapon systems.

These large frame guns are NOTHING like the small frame guns.

Fixing a gun over the internet is almost impossible without all the pertinent data.

This is Bear Creek's new gun and this is the second one that has had problems.

Start you a new thread and give us data and we will get it running.

23 minutes ago, Dewey Johnskn said:

Im not familiar with this site and how it works, just found it on a google search and was trying to get a quick answer on what i think would be an easy problem as im very familiar with these weapon systems.

Start your Build thread here:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/47-building-a-308ar/

This is gonna be the amount of NECESSARY INFORMATION to fix your gun over the internet, through typed words/responses:

My initial impressions - Bear Creek doesn't know anything about building a 22-250 gun, and it's ALL fucked up.  This thing from them needs work. Lots of work.

Thanks, in advance, for complying with what we're asking.  Completing the information required will only help you solve this problem, faster. 

Edited by 98Z5V