• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

22-250 AR10 Platform, No cycle

Steve S

I have built a 22-250 AR10 platform. Shoots and ejects perfectly. It will not cycle the next round. I am assuming that I need to start experimenting with different springs and buffers. 
Anyone have any ideas on buffer weight and spring type. Current is the standard 308 buffer spring and buffer. 
I have several springs and adjustable buffers to play with. 

image.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

A couple of questions before you start changing things...

Does it hold the bolt open on an empty mag after shooting with one round in the mag?

Will it hand-cycle more than one round from a magazine?

Have you tried an odd and even number of rounds in the magazine?

Yes it holds the bolt open.

yes it will hand cycle, no problem.

no I have not tried that, but I will. Usually all even/full clip. 

2 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Like the waterboard thread.

List everything. Give us an idea what we are dealing with.

Barrel manufacturer and gas port and length would be a good start.

Bear creek UCG, side charging (first one I have built with this)

All other parts, tactical, AERO, all good quality parts installed. 
no gas port. 

no I have not tried that, but I will. Usually all even/full clip

Bear creek UCG, side charging (first one I have built with this)

All other parts, tactical, AERO, all good quality parts installed. 
No gas port

no I have not tried that, but I will. Usually all even/full clip

nondrip from the bolt

sorry, just learning this forum for responses 

1 hour ago, Steve S said:

Okay so the gas port is fine , nonissue as far as I can see. It also ejects properly, all shells right at 4oclock. All of them. I dont believe I have a gas problem. 

But it only ejects one without having to hand cycle.  Large frame AR barrel manufacturers across the industry frequently drill their gas ports too small.  They then pair it with a lighter buffer and/or weak spring to counter not enough gas.

Please humor us and measure your gas port even if you think it isn't a problem.  Weighing your buffer will also help us to make sure your recoil system is balanced to your gas system.  These are the two most common problems causing the issue you are having.

You either have a gas system issue, or a recoil system issue, or a feeding issue (and that's magazines).   This is gonna come down to one of those 3 things, or a combination.  

Gonna need those technical gun specs that have been requested of you, per the details in the waterboarding thread that was linked above.  Read that thread first, so you can see the amount of detail necessary to diagnose a gas gun functional issue over the internet.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, Steve S said:

I have several springs and adjustable buffers to play with. 

Good.  What's the internal depth of your receiver extension?  Not the overall length, the internal depth.  It's either gonna be 7.000" internal or it's gonna be 7 5/8" internal, or it's manufactured wrong.  6 15/16" is a very acceptable answer, if that's the case.

Next, after that answer, do you have any AR15 adjustable carbine buffers that you can configure to 5.4oz (H3 weight), and either an Armalite EA-1095 spring or a Sprinco Red spring?  This will make a functional recoil system, IF they're installed inside a receiver extension that's 7 5/8" internal depth.

You install a recoil system identical to what I described, and function test your gun and tell me what's happening - and I can tell you if your gas system is gonna need work.  Of course, I'll need all the specs on your barrel, in order to do that.  I need to know that your gas block journal diameter is, what your gas PORT diameter is, what gas system you're running (it's either midlength, rifle, or some weird rifle+2" system).  I need to see a pic of how far your gas tube protrudes into your upper receiver, with your BCG out, to verify how far it reaches into the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver...

^^^   You get that information into this thread, and I can make your gun run.  I guarantee you that.  

This is the level of detail we're talking about.  This is why we have the Waterboarding thread in the first place - we have to sometimes waterboard people to get the pertinent details out of them...  It can get frustrating, from our side...

Okay, a lot to gather here. Will get all this tomorrow. 
This is the 3rd upper carrier group also from BCA. The first two had firing pin issues which have been resolved. It definitely has been a challenge to get this 22-250 100%, buts that’s okay. That’s what building and testing is about. 
The mags came with the upper Carrier group as part of the package. All 3 are the same and the cycle issue appears to be with all 3. I do have adjustable buffers. 
Will measure the tube depth. Don't have the red spring, have a yellow and a few custom springs (AR10) from AR15Discounts.

I have seen the gas port drilled too small as was my 6.5. I drilled out to spec and it solved the that issue. 
gas system is rifle length,

Will send pics and info on requested specs later tomorrow. Appreciate the help with this.