• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Day!

Matt.Cross

As far as breathing control goes, make the shot on the exhale.  Fully exhale, give it a second or two, then shoot during the respiratory pause.

You can load your oxygen system somewhat by taking 2 or 3 sharp, deep breaths beforehand.  Then fully exhale, shoot.  When you do that, you can go 7 or 8 seconds on the respiratory pause before your body (mind; brain) tells you to start breathing again.  If you wait that long it's like holding your breath, and you'll start shaking a little.  If you don't make the shot in that timeframe, just let it go - breathe in a couple more times and start over again.

Practice that, and it'll fix vertical stringing.  If you stick to the fundamentals on the other stuff, those groups will tighten right up.  <thumbsup>

As far as breathing control goes, make the shot on the exhale.  Fully exhale, give it a second or two, then shoot during the respiratory pause.

You can load your oxygen system somewhat by taking 2 or 3 sharp, deep breaths beforehand.  Then fully exhale, shoot.  When you do that, you can go 7 or 8 seconds on the respiratory pause before your body (mind; brain) tells you to start breathing again.  If you wait that long it's like holding your breath, and you'll start shaking a little.  If you don't make the shot in that timeframe, just let it go - breathe in a couple more times and start over again.

Practice that, and it'll fix vertical stringing.  If you stick to the fundamentals on the other stuff, those groups will tighten right up.  <thumbsup>

I'll be on the range again tommorrow, providing the weather complies with me. I will do exactly as you said and will have some pictures of the results.

Saturday is my new favorite day of the week!!!

Well, I had an awesome day at the range today. I'll stick with the highlights for now, since my shooting wasn't stellar. The target pics will appear later.

The first good thing I'll mention is that I'm done with break-in and I can go about shooting better ammo now with absolute confidence. I shot up the last of my super-saver (but DPMS warranty-friendly) bulk ammo today and I couldn't be happier that it's gone. I didn't have sandbag rests to work with today so my groups aren't anything to write home about but I'm noticing more and more improvement with every range session.

While I was at the range, a rather nice fella introduced himself to me and complimented my rifle, and we struck up a conversation right away. Turns out he is one of those ridiculously meticulous OCD hand-loaders that crank out really nice match loads, and very knowledgeable about shooting in general. I told him I was nearing the end of my break-in and he mentioned that my cheap ammo was probably a large part of the reason my groups weren't closing up very well, and handed me 5 of his own handloaded match rounds to try out. I felt kinda bad about taking free ammo from him but I was also curious how it would do so I went and shot a VERY careful 3-round group. I burnt a single only-slightly-smudged hole with those 3 rounds and was grinning from ear to ear when I took the other 2 unspent rounds back to him. Since he had kindly given me his own handloads, I asked him if he wanted the 180 rounds of brass I had on hand from my break-in, and of course he lit up like a christmas tree and said yes. Later, as I was making my way through my last box of shells, he put a box of shells on my bench, smiled and said "There's ya a whole box of that stuff you shot earlier, and next time I see ya I'll have another one. I come out here about every Saturday, so be looking for me."...

Couldn't help but laugh at getting hand loaded tack-drivers out of some spent brass I couldn't do anything with for a while anyways.... I even got in all my range time before the weather went bad! All that's left to say is that there's too many days between now and next Saturday, but that'll give me some time to order another couple boxes of match ammo. Any recommendations fellas?

This thread has a link to a site with some pretty good prices.  I like Ammo Depot as well, that's where I get my bulk ammo for shooting for fun.  The Argentine mil-surp they have is great for plinking.  Other than that, I'm in about the same spot you are in....haven't really had a chance to really take the time n put a good group in.

Dustin

DTAC LOADED AMMO

A new standard for excellence.

The question was easy to ask and easy to answer: How can we make the best ammunition on the market?

Start with carefully chosen and segregated components, develop a proven load combination that maximized both velocity and accuracy, and then assemble each and every round as if it was to fire the last "x" needed to win a national championship, or as if someone's "shot of a lifetime" in the field depended on its performance.

DTAC ammunition is produced to a standard previously unavailable from the ammunition manufacturing industry. All DTAC Loaded Ammo is manufactured following strict quality control guidelines by people who know and care about extreme rifle performance.

DTAC offers a standard of excellence equivalent to the most meticulously prepared handloaded ammunition, including select extruded propellants chosen for temperature insensitivity, precisely weighed propellant charges, concentricity tolerance, uniform ballistic performance, and detailed component preparation.

DTAC ammunition is engineered to be capable of firing a 10-inch vertical 10-shot group at 1000 yards.

Matt, THAT IS AWESOME!!!  You have a great hook-up with the local hand-loader!!!  <thumbsup>

Shoot everything that guy presents to you...  ;D

You can bet that I will!!! I got permission from the range officers to shoot from prone, so I'm gonna get to do those handloads justice.

Federal Gold Medal Match

Ive actually been gathering up match ammo for a side by side article when I hit Vermont this summer. Im still missing two types but Im working on it. Hopefully I will have my second .308 by then too  <thumbsup>

Heres the list

I just ordered a box of Federal GMM and a box of Hornady A-MAX Match from cheaperthandirt, and depending on which one groups better, I'll order a box of the better + a box of Black Hills Gold Match.

You can bet that I will!!! I got permission from the range officers to shoot from prone, so I'm gonna get to do those handloads justice.

I just ordered a box of Federal GMM and a box of Hornady A-MAX Match from cheaperthandirt, and depending on which one groups better, I'll order a box of the better + a box of Black Hills Gold Match.

Hey Matt, were you going with the 175 GMM, or the 168s?

Hey Matt, were you going with the 175 GMM, or the 168s?

I went with the 168's for both loads, for the sake of comparison consistency. I will be going back and doing comparisons on the heavier weights later. I'm trying to start at the weight that has consistently gotten the best overall reviews in my particular gun, and that just happens to be the 168. I will definitely be trying some 175's at some point though, particularly when I start stepping up to much longer yardages.

Well, I squeezed off another 60 today. I shot: One box (20) handloads a fellow gave me, one box (20) of Federal GMM 168's, and one box (20) of Hornady A-MAX 168's. My conclusion is that I will only be shooting prone from now on whenever I can, and that I will be buying only match ammo or handloading from now on. Pics will come shortly, but I must say that I was focusing hard to be aware of where my reticle was when the gun fired, and my rounds were landing EXACTLY @ the Point of Aim, every time. I will replicate today's ammo tests after I get my FFT installed, but I'm very pleased with how all the ammo I shot today performed.

Yay, triple post!

I finally have access to a private range where I can shoot for free!!! Right now it's a 100-yard range but it's completely free and soon a 200-yard berm will be added. I went and blew through approximately 40 rounds with a buddy of mine, met the property owner who is just a very down-to-earth good ol' boy. I'm going to be helping when the 200-yard berm is added since the owner has been kind enough to allow me to shoot there. I shot 30-some odd rounds through the LR and and 3 or 4 more through my buddy's 7mm mag. Great day, pics of the last 5 shots of the day and one scenic pic. Edit: Ammo is cheapy Walmart stuff bought just to make noise.

RangeTime_4-6-101.jpg

[img width=800 height=600]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/RangeTime_4-6-102.jpg