• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

OPTICS

Tbugg90

I am currently building a 16” 308 for hunting. The furthest shot I would have would be around 200 to 250 yards. I also might use it to target shoot out to 400yards. Does anyone have any good suggestions for an optic under $250.

also what is yalls opinion on illumination on an optic, like is it something that is going to dissuade you from buying an optic if it doesn’t have it?

On 12/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, Tbugg90 said:

I am currently building a 16” 308 for hunting. The furthest shot I would have would be around 200 to 250 yards. I also might use it to target shoot out to 400yards. Does anyone have any good suggestions for an optic under $250.

also what is yalls opinion on illumination on an optic, like is it something that is going to dissuade you from buying an optic if it doesn’t have it?

To be completely honest, if I have to reliably be able to ethically take an animal's life consistently, I'm not looking for an optic under $250. As for illumination, it's definitely a deal breaker. It has to be present, adjustable, and not too bright on the lowest setting. 

I would definitely recommend the Arken scope line - I've shot them, but don't own any, because...   I'd also recommend the Athlon Optics.  I own a PILE of those scopes, and they're punching way above their MSRP prices.  WAY above their weight class, and a badass warranty.  

Like mentioned before - don't sell yourself looking for a budget $250 scope, or you'll certainly end up with budget results.   Not telling you to buy a Nightforce or a US Optics scope - but there's plenty of great glass out there if you step up to the $500 - $750 range, and they will give you a lifetime of service, with a great lifetime anything-goes warranty.