• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Starter Setup for Reloading 308

Guest LLArms

Just need a basic setup. Loading one at a time is fine by me, don't need a factory line.

Trying to keep cost around $300 to $400 max, this way if it turns out its not my thing I am not out any massive amount of money.

A friend suggest a LEE classic kit. What do you guys think or recommend?

Feedback as always is greatly appreciated.

I like that price point. Any items of the kit you would suggest I would be better of "upgrading" for a bit more?

I know some people say some kits don't have (just an example) good powder scales are suggest something else.

Thanks for link - got that one bookmarked!

The scale that comes with the kit works good, you just have to remember to keep a static free environment.  That being said, I did replaced my scale with the Chargemaster because it is a lot faster, but you are looking at another $300.  The Chargemaster will dispense a 308 charge almost as fast as I can seat the bullet & it dispenses my 223 charges faster than I can seat the bullet.

Here is a few more things you might want:

Hornady Unique Case Lube.  The lube in the RCBS kit is oil based & will put dents in your cases when you run them through the sizing die.

RCBS Powder Trickler will make life a lot easier with that beam scale.

Also, I don't use the Uniflow Powder Measure with my rifle charges, I only use it for my pistol loads.  The rifle charges were up to a couple grains different in weight & I like to keep my charges within a tenth of a grain.

I teach metallic cartridge reloading, all the presses I've experienced load as well as the next. Dies make the biggest difference but it may depend on what your end purpose is.

I bought a Lee Challenger breech lock kit for students to use in classes. I figured it would be the smallest loss if some ape busted it. It keeps on cranking out ammo! I now use it to work up loads for rifle and handgun.

A good guy on another forum has a Lee Turret Press, he has docmented over 700,000 rounds loaded on it.

Whatever kit you get, you will want extras. I find it is nice to have both a beam scale and a digital scale. Beams are delicate and batteries die. Tricklers are nice for perfect powder quantities. Dial/digital calipers are indispensible.

Jon

At this time the only purpose is to cut the ammo budget down.

Eventually I would like to study the science of reloading more intensely in the quest for the perfect matching load to my own rifle.

But as I said - reducing cost is what I am interested in now. From reading around the interwebs it appears that if you reload you can get brass down (or in some cases cheaper) below the cost of factory steel ammo.

I would also recommend the Lee stuff for economical reloading. I've got a Lee turret press that I used for everything for years and never had a problem. My son bought me a Dillon RL550B progressive back when I started getting serious about USPSA and it spoiled me. Now that I've gotten the LR 308 I will be spending around $180 for a quick change conversion for it to reload 308! :cookoo:

RCBS Rock Chucker Master Kit

I have been using this kit for years.

I concur on this one - love it.  You'll want to add a case trimmer to that kit (doesn't come with one), and a chamfer/deburring tool, as well as a full length sizing die set for .308 Win (doesn't come with any dies).  RCBS Shellholder #3 is what you'll need for .308, as that doesn't come with a die set.  With that kit (and what's listed), plus powder and primers, you'll be able to reload.

You'll want extras, down the road.  You might want to upgrade from a manual case trimmer to an electric one, same with the powder measure.  With those upgrades, you'd be faster and less "tired," but even without them you'll be able to reload.

For an auto-loading rifle like an AR, you want a small base die.  Sizes down the case farther for more reliable feeding.  Also, from experience, lube the cases GOOD.  Sending mine back today.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2256&route=C09J042N022

Here is a few more things you might want:

Hornady Unique Case Lube.  The lube in the RCBS kit is oil based & will put dents in your cases when you run them through the sizing die.

RCBS Powder Trickler will make life a lot easier with that beam scale.

Also, I don't use the Uniflow Powder Measure with my rifle charges, I only use it for my pistol loads.  The rifle charges were up to a couple grains different in weight & I like to keep my charges within a tenth of a grain.

Not sure about it being oil based , I have some old RCBS case lube & it will wash off with just water .

The dents in the case are from a build up of lube in the sizing die . You should clean your die often .

I now use Dillon spray on lube & will not go back to the pad any time soon , but I have no problems with the pad method .

This thread should be moved to the reloading section .

Not sure about it being oil based , I have some old RCBS case lube & it will wash off with just water .

The dents in the case are from a build up of lube in the sizing die . You should clean your die often .

I now use Dillon spray on lube & will not go back to the pad any time soon , but I have no problems with the pad method .

This thread should be moved to the reloading section .

I checked it out at lunch today.  You're right, it isn't oil based, but it is a lot thicker than Unique.  It says right on the bottle Do Not Use on Case Shoulder.  The dents were happening when the lube got on the shoulder or neck.  When rolling the case across the pad it is hard not to get it on the shoulder.  Hornady Unique is different in that you can lube the shoulder & neck without denting the case.

• 2 months later...

I would also recommend the Lee stuff for economical reloading. I've got a Lee turret press that I used for everything for years and never had a problem. My son bought me a Dillon RL550B progressive back when I started getting serious about USPSA and it spoiled me. Now that I've gotten the LR 308 I will be spending around $180 for a quick change conversion for it to reload 308! :cookoo:

392heminut - for the lee turret, will this be good enough for just practice rounds or can it still be as good as a single stage press for accuracy?  I'm really interested in this one and almost ready to pull the trigger.  Are there any other part suggestions to adding to the current lee turret kit that's available.  I want to have extra turret plates and dies for all the ammo I'd like to reload: 9mm, 45acp, .223/.556, .308.

I would say you should be able to load very accurate ammo on the Lee Turret press. I wouldn't go so far as to say you could load to bench rest accuracy, but then again I've never tried to load to that level on any press I own. The way I look at it is that the press will load ammo that is probably more accurate than my shooting abilities. The interchangeable turrets is one of the great features of the Lee, I have a separate turret for each caliber that I don't load high volume (I have a separate setup for those for the Dillon machine) and I never have to mess with resetting dies. Lee claims the turrets snap in to the same position every time, and I've never had any indication that they don't. I would suggest getting the Lee hand primer tool to prime your cases if  the turret press kit you're looking at doesn't already come with it. I never liked the little priming tool that fits on the press, it's way slow and you have to handle each individual primer with it.

Great response, I appreciate your help.  I figure the Lee would be sufficient for me to learn how to load and do load development without having to swap out dies for every step.  I don't plan on doing bulk loading, just need enough for the range and HD.  It'll be for a hobby and money saving so I can shoot more.

Warning! Reloading can be addictive! It's a great stress reliever for me and I would do a lot more of it if I could afford more components! You will enjoy using the Lee turret press and it doesn't have the headaches the progressives sometimes do. Have fun! <thumbsup>