• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Canadian Marksmen Rifle Systems Project

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Ballistic Advantage, 18" Stainless Stel SPR flutted

This one, brother.  It's still the SPR Profile in all dimensions, just with flutes.  It's lighter in weight, but just as strong in rigidity. It's the badass SPR barrel, just with extras (flutes).  :thumbup:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update-

Barrel ordered along with low profile gas block

Hogue free float forend( closest tube style handguard I could find) ordered

Ergo pistol grip with palm shelf ordered

Left to scource out( look for sale/deals)-

Trigger Tech 2 stage trigger

A2 stock, if I can't get a good fit I'll look at something like Magpul PRS GEN3 or Luth-AR MBA

Bipod

Optics-  I did find a refrence to a Leopold MK4 3.5x10 but it seems there was some personal operator leeway given

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You hooked on that trigger, brother?... 

Nope, it's a 2-stage which the C7CT has, Canadian made so readily availble up here. I get dinged with around 35% or higher once you factor exchange rate and being brought in when looking at American made trigger.

I like it's adjustable and drop in unit and have enjoyed several Trigger Tech. That being said I'm always open to looking at other triggers, maybe throw in a plain trigger for now and upgrade the trigger while it gets painted :cool:

Nope, it's a 2-stage which the C7CT has, Canadian made so readily availble up here. I get dinged with around 35% or higher once you factor exchange rate and being brought in when looking at American made trigger.

I like it's adjustable and drop in unit and have enjoyed several Trigger Tech. That being said I'm always open to looking at other triggers, maybe throw in a plain trigger for now and upgrade the trigger while it gets painted :cool:

I can have a LaRue MBT-2S trigger waiting for you whan you get down here.  I'll be getting them 5 at a time, so they're $80 each.  If that interests you.  I'm sure they're not documenting what trigger you install.  Or, are they?...   :popcorn:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

and upgrade the trigger while it gets painted

It's getting painted when you get down here, before the shoot.  Or, you stay another week to make the match the following Saturday, and it gets painted before the match.  Painting takes a full 24 hours.  Arrive "one day earlier than one day early" if we're painting before the shoot. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

It's getting painted when you get down here, before the shoot.  Or, you stay another week to make the match the following Saturday, and it gets painted before the match.  Painting takes a full 24 hours.  Arrive "one day earlier than one day early" if we're painting before the shoot. 

Put me down for 2 triggers and if needed to round up to 5 five I'll go for 3.

So checked up here and the only scource was US$140 😲

As to painting I'll have to confirm closer to FallShoot. On time currently booked off,showing up a day or to earlier is doable not sure I can swing the following weekend to stay for match. Sticking around for a day or two after shoot is also doable.

• 2 weeks later...

So to update things

Part 1- C7CT ( part two is very exciting)

The C7CT will not be a side pull bolt action as origionally planned but will be a semi auto using a Canadin built  version of the AR-180( which I have). Go figure that's still legal.

The A2 stock is inbound probably end of week. The reciever all ready here and for now use the exsisting barrel till the ordered one arrives. The tube handguard has arrived.

The Ergo grip with platform will arrive with the barrel( have regular Ergo grip till then)Still need to get the bipod

Optics- Rather than go with what might be the actual optic I've decided to go with a scope whose features/retical I like. The prime contender right now is the ARES BTR GEN2 HD 2.5-15×50 APRS5 FFP IR MIL. I know several of the Arizona gang is running Athlons and seem happy with them.

Part 2- OK hopefully I haven't oversold Part 2 so picture first... my undertanding is that Canada ordered 300 units and they've sold some toDenmark

0c5a2aa9605748af8e7b51e3154f1c93.jpg

So the good news is I already have the following bits in house, Magpul PRS stock, a large frame AR upper/lower( Canadian denutered one),M-Lok handguard, barrel- 6.5CM 'cause that's what I have, 1-8T 416 Stainless.

I have to decide on a scope, open to suggestions, something in the 5-25 approximate range? and a bipod

Actual C20 rifle performance in testing, the C20 fired 8,000 rounds without any stoppages and achieved an accuracy of 0.66 MOA over 144 five round groups.

12 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

ARES BTR GEN2 HD 2.5-15×50 APRS5 FFP IR MIL.

That scope is so nice, that I have 2 of them.  One lives on the 16" Grendel Mod H, and the other is on the 18" LaRue 6ARC.  Good choice, my man.  :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

So update

Scopes showed up today ARES ETR 3-18 and ARES BTR 2.5-15 

The only outstanding partys are the 5.56mm barrel( have a spare to use in the meantime) and the ERGO grip with palm shelf( have spare grip in the mean time)

Now need time to put the bits together, this week/weekend shot getting ready/doing Black badge course so just looking at a pile of parts on the bench till at least mid next week.

• 1 month later...

Things are slowly coming into place, prepping and packing of gear has begun. Rifles have been chosen, just need to figure out which pistols to bring.

4 weeks from tonight, we're sitting at dinner, together, after breaking camp today around noon-ish. 

You better get off the stick, brother!  Time's a wasting!   :banana:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Is this gun coming down south this year?...  

the C7CT inspired

I had to decipher all this, and I almost drowned in Maple Syrup doing it, but I take it that the original question of this gun coming down is "Yes..."   :laffs:

and will need to borrow 20 rd mags when shooting in the desert.

I have metric-shiit-tons of those for you - that's a very precise measurement.  We'll calculate it once you arrive, but I can guarantee, you will not be short on mags, brother.   :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

It's metric.  He already knows the figure.  If it were in just shiit-tons, he would have needed the conversion. :lmao:

It's all good, I'm bilingual when it comes to measurements. How Canada is English/French we're also metric/SAE. It's not uncommon to have drawings in metric but the  materials and hardware in inches.

Go to a hardware store and lumber is still 2x4 and it's much easier to buy, plywod is still 4x8 sheets and a 1/4-20 bolt is easier to scource than a 6mm bolt. 

Handy tip for the day 3/4" and 19mm wrenches and hex keys are interchangable as is 5/16" and 8mm. You'd be suprised how far you can thread in a 5/16" bolt into a 8mm threaded hole thinking it's a bit tight befire really getting it jammed. 😢