• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hornady Lock-N-Load Press

imschur

My neighbor researched and bought one after he saw me reloading with my ancient but excellent RCBS 4x4. He unboxed it, set up the frame then lost interest and sold it. <dontknow> It was a beautifully machined piece of equipment. I've seen plenty of youtube films on it and it looks first rate, especially the die bushings you can use for quick caliber changes. I don't think you can go wrong.

I read a thread comparing  the LNL to the Dillon, (which I own). The concensus was that the posters liked the LNL better. I've not used it, but am curious why you are considering it over the Dillon, is it price?  I'll take a look and see if I can locate the thread.

I was mistaken. The thread I had read was comparing the LNL to the Redding T7, which I have been considering for precision rifle loading. The part I did remember correctly was that the posters preferred the LNL to the T7. I'm not sure if I would consider the two comparable, since one is a progressive and the other is a manual turret. I'd still be interested to hear your reasons for choosing the LNL over the Dillon press?

/www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-247361.html

First off as I said earlier I have previous experience with the non L&L version of this press. It's one shortcoming for me was the powder measure linkage. I redesigned the linkage and used Redding powder measure with great success for years. Hornady now has also redesigned the system.

If I bought a Dillon it would be minimally the XL 650 and that would bring the cost up substantially by the time I was done. I also prefer the idea of the die change system over the plates.

Does anyone know if the bigger Dillons can use standard powder measures?

BTW alternatively I am considering a Square Deal B just for .45acp...set it and forget it.

I have a Dillon 550B that I've been loading on for over 15 years. I just recently set it up for .223 and will soon be setting it up for .308. I have absolutely no complaints about that machine, and it has been working great for me with the .223. I would hate to even try to guess how many 40 S&W and 45 ACP rounds I've loaded on it but I can guarantee it is well into the tens of thousands! Ten years ago I was shooting 10-12 thousand rounds of 40 S&W each year (USPSA competiton & practice). The only problem I've had was a cracked bell crank last year and when I called Dillon they sent me a new one at no charge and didn't even want the old one returned. They did tell me that my machine was an older one and the new part was an upgraded piece. When I got it I could see where it was beefed up in the area where mine had failed. In the USPSA community the Dillon is usually preferred over the Hornaday or RCBS machines if for no other reason than their "No BS Lifetime Warranty". BTW, I don't work for or even know Mike Dillon, I just know what I've put my machine through!

I posted this before but it seems to have gotten lost. (some funny stuff going on for me with the site the last two days) I have the 650, which I have used only for pistol loading. I understand that there are aftermarket tool heads available that are made to closer tolerances than the Dillon parts, which are supposed to be improve shell plate/die alignment for loading precision rifle cartridges. I believe you can get floating tool heads as well. I'm not sure since I've not used the LNL, but prior to the quick change die bushings didn't the Dillon and LNL dies mount the same except that you could switch out complete toolheads with the Dillon but not the Hornady?  I've only used the powder measure that came with my Dillon, so don't know if other powder measures would work, but since it uses a standard 7/8"-14 thread I don''t see why it shouldn't. If your talking about using a manual powder drop like the RCBS or Redding, the 550 loader might be a better choice due to it's manual indexing. I hear that the SDB loader is an excellent choice for use as a dedicated one cal pistol cartridge loader. If I had more space I'd consider one myself, they seem to be available pretty cheaply on the used market, and with Dillon's warantee, if there's anything wrong with a used one (or any other used Dillon) they will make it right.

I have no experience with the LNL , but I hear its a good machine & less start up $$ than a Dillon 650 .

My experience with auto index machines has been that I do not want another .Not that they don't work , just its a matter of control , I have a Dillon 550B & I make it do what I want , when I want . With a auto index , you have to do a lot more if you want to go back or check some thing or if some thing screws up & yes it will at some point with all progressive machines.

The Dillon's floating tool head is some what loose for a reason , it helps align ALL the stations at once . I have loaded ammo with my single stage press & compared it to my Dillon & can only say that my hand weighed charges were more consistent on the chronograph then the Dillon's bar charger .

That is to be expected , they pretty much shot the same .

i have to agree with you on the auto index sometimes being a PITA when something goes wrong. It's kind of like an assemble line making cars. if you run into a problem at one station, everything comes to a grinding halt. What I genreally do with mine is to  pull out any rd that has a problem as soon as it happens, and if nothing needs to be adjusted on the press, I just continue on from there, addressing the problem rd when I'm finished with the rest. I find that for loading 9 major for IPSC it's pretty tough to beat, for loading rifle I think the speed advantage might be outweighed by the ability to manually rotate back and forth of the 550. I'm thinking about going for a Redding T7 for my precision rifle loading. I'm thinking that the turret may offer some of the convenience of the 550 at a much better price. By the way, I'll look for the link to the tool heads I mentioned. It's my understanding that the advantage offered in the non floating is that the 5 or 6 stations are drilled/threaded more accuratedly than the cast Dillon heads. The advantage of the floating head is that each individual die is able to float independantly of the others. I read about them on one of the bench rest forums. From what I gather, they are considered to actually help when loading for max accuracy. Don't know if that's as good as a high end sngle stage, but probably faster. I'm thinking that the beauty of the turret is that you have the indexing head, but are only loading (and therefore aligning) one shell plate/die at a time.

That's the way the 650 is setup. You have those little thumb tack looking pins, and once you remove one ,you can pull the rd. It's just that (as with any progressive I guess) once You have a couple rds that need special attention it breaks the rythum of your loading, and you have to be careful when reintroducing  that rd not to locate it in the wrong place on the shellplate. Not good to try to deprime a case with a live primer, or put a second primer in on that already has one.

I do all my priming by hand.  IME all manufacturers have an issue with their auto presses and priming, so for me it is beneficial for two reasons to do it by hand.

One, it adds another step for hands-on inspection of the case and primer and, two, you can really get cranking on the powder drop and bullet seating, when you don't have to worry about jammed up primers.

Jon