• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reloading for Fast Twist 22-250 on LR-308 Platform

cdnick

Hello all,

I am new to the 22-250 having just finished building my first one on the LR-308 platform. This rifle has a 1:8 twist so heavy bullets are usable.

I am going to hunt coyote and I really hope to get a nice bobcat for a mount. It is also possible where I live that I may have the opportunity to take fox. I really don’t want ruin the hides of the bobcat or fox due to my lack of knowledge on varmint bullets.

My question is this, what bullet?

1. The 60 Grain Vmax

2. Lighter than 60 Vmax

3. The 75 Grain Amax

4. The 80 Grain Amax

5. Lighter Amax

6. Barnes varmint grenade

7. Other

Once bullet is decided I shall consult the oracle, reloading manuals, manufacturers, and the Ouija Board for good loads, also I will probably ask here on the board.

I have read a lot of interesting information from this board and look forward to all your responses in helping me with this.

Thanks

Chris

Would that even function from an 8-twist 22-250?  I know once you get down to some varmint-weighted bullets from a 7-twist 5.56 gun, some of them actually come apart after leaving the barrel - the light little bastards spin themselves into oblivion...  <dontknow>

Upon making that comment ^^^, I realize I need to pick up some Barnes Varmint Grenade 30gr and 36gr bullets, and test them from my 20" 7-twist 5.56 precision gun...  various ranges for the targets, and see where they start to come apart... 

Next Cabela's trip, I'll pick up the stuff.

These and the 220 Swift I refer to as the eaters of barrels. Everyone wanted to shoot 4k fps. When they reached it they still wanted faster. I've seen chrono's tipping 4200 fps.

Personally I'd go for the heavier bullet and load down to 3200-3500 fps. Then again I shoot a 221 Fireball for that same reason.

I've used down to a 35 gr Vmax in my Swift, 22-250 and. 223....the AR varmint is the only fast twist of the bunch.. 1/8...never had a bullet come apart but a 223 won't drive'em like the other 2....only experience with bullets coming unglued was with Hornady XTP pistol bullets...180 and 200 gr were shedding jackets like a stripper....but that was out of a 444 Marlin Contender barrel at 24-2500 fps...Hornady recommended 240 gr plus or slow it down...200's shoot great at around 2000 fps

....only experience with bullets coming unglued was with Hornady XTP pistol bullets...180 and 200 gr were shedding jackets like a stripper....

I had a problem with Berry's plated bullets and HS-6 out of a 10mm with hot loads, over powered the thin jackets.

These and the 220 Swift I refer to as the eaters of barrels. Everyone wanted to shoot 4k fps. When they reached it they still wanted faster. I've seen chrono's tipping 4200 fps.

Personally I'd go for the heavier bullet and load down to 3200-3500 fps. Then again I shoot a 221 Fireball for that same reason.

Hello all,

I am new to the 22-250 having just finished building my first one on the LR-308 platform. This rifle has a 1:8 twist so heavy bullets are usable.

I am going to hunt coyote and I really hope to get a nice bobcat for a mount. It is also possible where I live that I may have the opportunity to take fox. I really don’t want ruin the hides of the bobcat or fox due to my lack of knowledge on varmint bullets.

My question is this, what bullet?

1. The 60 Grain Vmax

2. Lighter than 60 Vmax

3. The 75 Grain Amax

4. The 80 Grain Amax

5. Lighter Amax

6. Barnes varmint grenade

7. Other

Once bullet is decided I shall consult the oracle, reloading manuals, manufacturers, and the Ouija Board for good loads, also I will probably ask here on the board.

I have read a lot of interesting information from this board and look forward to all your responses in helping me with this.

Thanks

Chris

I made a batch of 68gr Hornady Match 223 rounds today for my 1-7" twist  rounds today and will do a batch of 75gr Hornady Macth this weekend, both are BTHP versions. Those are pretty accurate are under $20 a box for 100. <thumbsup>

Who wouldn't want a 4000+ fps bullet ! :)

....only experience with bullets coming unglued was with Hornady XTP pistol bullets...180 and 200 gr were shedding jackets like a stripper....

I had a problem with Berry's plated bullets and HS-6 out of a 10mm with hot loads, over powered the thin jackets.I made a batch of 68gr Hornady Match 223 rounds today for my 1-7" twist  rounds today and will do a batch of 75gr Hornady Macth this weekend, both are BTHP versions. Those are pretty accurate are under $20 a box for 100. <thumbsup>

Who wouldn't want a 4000+ fps bullet ! :)

Berry's plated bullets are just that , they are electro plated of some form & have no jacket as we know a normal jacketed bullets do.

Most jacketed bullets are started as a copper cup & the lead is swaged in or poured in in some way .

If you want speed , go with the solid bullets , they don't come apart . You will have to experiment with different loadings & bullets to come out with what you are looking for .

Some manufacturers even have ten Pak's of bullets just for working up loads .I have never loaded for the 22-250 ,but know its a ground cong killer ,I have seen them work on them varmints.