• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Melonite Coated Gas Tubes

imschur

Gas tubes can wear out under sustained full-auto fire, but I doubt you'll ever be able to kill one with semi-auto fire.  A melonited tube wouldn't help with sustained full-auto fire, except (maybe) prolong the inevitable a little bit.

One reason the melonited gas tubes were a breakthrough at all was for the corrosive russian ammo - 7.62x39 and the 5.45 corrosive.  If you have one of those things, and fire off a couple spam cans of ammo, you need to clean the hell out of it.  The corrosive ammo will kill it, corrode parts (duh...) eat gas tubes, pit upper interiors, etc. 

The melonited gas tube was a cure for this.  <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...

Wear from the gas key or to it ?

The gas key should have a chrome lining & still should be cleaned with the rest of the rifle .

As far as do they wear out , as said from 98 , sustained full auto fire & you can melt holes in them , but I have never seen it .

I just put the same gas tube back in my pre ban Oly. after changing the upper out to a flat top from TM. & it had some black marks on it that won't come out or off , but its been in service on the rifle for over twenty five years  & still good .

I have & my brother( who I built if for so many years ago) , put all kinds of ammo through her , none that I knew was corrosive (but could have been )

I 'm all for the black gas tube though & I saw that at there sight the other day & thought about it , but since I have a couple of news one laying around , I said naw , maybe next time .

Spike is also using Melonite barrels on there new carbines they build .

I want a Bolt carrier & key ( bolt, I want chrome or fail zero or the likes ), that has been through the Melonite process to test , any one know where to get one ?