• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello new DPMS oracle rifle

seasprite

Hello all like to say this looks like a fine site you'll have here ;D I bought a DPMS oracle from Bud's not to long ago and finally got to go to the range with it. It was a long process to do the barrel break in ::) but I did it, kept wondering if it does any good or not but since they had it in the manual I figured what the heck I only have to do it once then I'm done and can enjoy the rifle. During this range trip the rifle functioned flawlessly and seems to have a lot of potential. Since this is my first AR style rifle I've been lurking here for a few weeks getting some good info on running these fun rifles and the one thing I did was run it very wet. So here's a pic of my new family member ;D

DSCF0314.jpg

Some boyscouts showed up at the range they all seemed to like the .308 round every time I fired they were like "ohya!" (I have to agree with them) some future .308 members I think  <thumbsup>

Good lookin' stick. What sort of scope and mount do you have there?

Thanks for all the welcome guy's. The scope is the new Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x44 mil dot illuminated with a Burris QD mount. The glass is clear seems to hold zero but dummy me didn't put locktight on the screws so the scope came loose in the mounts at the range so that screwed up my zero. All is well now so I have to get back now so I put this rig through its paces.

Welcome Seasprite i have the same rife/ less scope have not shot it yet but real soon did you do the one shot & clean break in?

This is my first AR and I can now clean it blind folded 8) It made for a long day at the range but since the manual said it was the best thing for barrel I figured why not its only new once. As far as helping accuracy I have know idea at this time since my scope came loose in the mount, got it reset and tightened down but the range closed after I got re sighted at 50 yards. One thing I found out from this board is these guns like it wet make sure the bolt and bolt carrier is dripping with oil. I had no malfunctions of any kind the rifle ran flawlessly I'm very happy with my decision to buy this rifle so far hope you feel the same way.

...but dummy me didn't put locktight on the screws so the scope came loose in the mounts at the range so that screwed up my zero.

No worries, it's happened to all of us at some point or another, I would imagine. At least it gives you the "need" to go back to the range instead of working off items from the Honey-do list.

No worries, it's happened to all of us at some point or another, I would imagine. At least it gives you the "need" to go back to the range instead of working off items from the Honey-do list.

Oh ya  <thumbsup> nothing wrong with more reasons to get to the range the screws are locktighted now so the only thing I need is some more ammo. The ammo I used for the break in was a variety of different manufactures and weight given to me by a friend of mine and the gun cycled with all of them which is good. Now I need to pick a brand and weight that runs best in this rifle and stick with it.

I know each rifle has its own ammo it likes best but I was wondering if the DPMS rifles are trending to a particular brand and weight on ammo?

welcome, i am fairly new as well.  my oracle is my go to deer and hog rifle now.

liontribe

Nice setup liontribe, I'm wanting to use mine for deer hunting and target shooting. Been using my Win 94ae but now that my son likes to go hunting we had to share the 94 last time which was ok we both took home a deer but it gave a good excuse to add another rifle to the stable and I always wanted an AR style rifle anyway.

DSCF0160.jpg

So hows it handle in the field seems the 16" barrel should handle nice in the woods which is were I normally hunt? With my son being a video commando I'm sure he's going to want to use the Oracle and thats fine just have to get a 10 round mag first to be legal in MO. Been toying with the idea of doing a hog hunt with mine but our feral hog population is not that bad here. There is a few counties that have established population of hogs but I hear there still hard to find and the odds of a successful hunt are slim at best. Let me know how you like the Oracle as a hunting gun?