• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New barrel suggestions

Sparkylr308

I am looking to re-barrel my LR-308 in 308 win. Want to stick with 308 win. I am currently looking at either a Compass Lake Engineering LR-308 Douglas barrel or a criterion hybrid chrome lined barrel. I am looking to get a 20in and rifle length gas system. Just looking for any suggestions you guys might have. Thank you. 

On 12/8/2023 at 5:40 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

I am looking to re-barrel my LR-308 in 308 win. Want to stick with 308 win. I am currently looking at either a Compass Lake Engineering LR-308 Douglas barrel or a criterion hybrid chrome lined barrel. I am looking to get a 20in and rifle length gas system. Just looking for any suggestions you guys might have. Thank you. 

Why chrome lined? 

On 12/8/2023 at 8:42 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

@Matt.Cross I guess cause of durability? Honestly not sure. It’s what I saw on their site for 308 in my price range. They also offer it in nitride.

Chrome lined is a minefield. I'd go with the Compass Lake if those two are what it's narrowed down to, otherwise I'd suggest checking out Fulton Armory.

7 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

What is the exact goal of the rifle, that you're trying to go for here?  That's the big question, and will guide alot of the answers that you receive. 

@Matt.Cross I am open to other options as well. 

@98Z5V I realize this will never be a f class type rifle. I just would like more consistency and a bit better accuracy. I have a faxon right now and can pull out 1” groups at best. It’s just not a consistent barrel. I would like something better. I would like a rifle that shoots .5”-.75” consistently and I realize I have to step up my game as well.

On 12/9/2023 at 2:13 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

@Matt.CrossI had tried a 20” H-bar by BA and it was horrible. I opened up the gas port and still no luck. No mater what I did it would not run well.

Are you familiar with the now infamous "Waterboarding Threads" here on the forum? I'm assuming you have, but you know how assuming works, or doesn't... 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:35 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

I just would like more consistency and a bit better accuracy. I have a faxon right now and can pull out 1” groups at best. It’s just not a consistent barrel. I would like something better. I would like a rifle that shoots .5”-.75” consistently and I realize I have to step up my game as well.

In my experience, the combination of consistency and good accuracy is the result of finding the loads or commercial ammo that your barrel uniquely prefers. So we're on the same page in terms of definition, here's how I break down consistency and accuracy: Consistency = whether or not my group centered around my POA every time, Accuracy = How tightly spaced that group can be expected to be when I have done everything correctly. Reputable barrels are almost never inconsistent nor inaccurate by virtue of design or manufacture, but even reputable barrels are subject to be preferential when it comes to the particular load or factory ammunition that will perform to the same standard as the shooter.

10 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

I realize this will never be a f class type rifle. I just would like more consistency and a bit better accuracy. I have a faxon right now and can pull out 1” groups at best. It’s just not a consistent barrel. I would like something better. I would like a rifle that shoots .5”-.75” consistently and I realize I have to step up my game as well.

Okay, Spark, that answers the accuracy part of my question - but there's more to that question than just accuracy.  How far do you shoot, or want to shoot?  Is this just for hunting, or just for smacking steel, or just for punching paper?  What's the maximum range that you'll shoot it to?  Is this something that you'll hike into the mountains for days, just to try to get a shot on an animal?  Is it for home defense?  What weather conditions are you gonna shoot this thing in?  Year 'round?  What's that weather like, where you live, year 'round - so we know those conditions? 

Now, more than that - what is YOUR shooting skill?  Not insulting, just asking...   Can you, or do you, have other guns that shoot 0.5 MOA?  Are YOU capable of it?  Shooting fundamentals sound?  Never miss, never shoot over 0.5 MOA with a certain gun and load? 

There's alot that has to be accounted for, to even get a gas gun to 0.5 MOA or 0.75 MOA.  Consistently.  ALOT to account for.  Alot more than just a barrel change.  I have Faxon barrels that shoot under 1 MOA - those barrels don't suck, by far.  There are other barrels I'd buy first, on my own list of barrels, but when I can't find the certain caliber, length, gas system, or profile - and Faxon makes it?  I'll never hesitate to buy that Faxon barrel.  The ones I've bought have never let me down.  I have a match grade Faxon that's 12.5" long, carbine gas, 6.5 Grendel, and I can shoot that thing to 850 yards repeatedly, by dialing 10.6 mils of drop into the scope, shooting my own handloads. I have a 12.5" carbine gas, 6 ARC barrel, that's even better than that Grendel.  An 18" midlength gas 6.5 Grendel barrel that's a lighter profile than a MK12 profile, and that one is stellar. 

What I'm sayin' is this - what exactly is it that you want that particular gun to do for you - all conditions listed above - and why isn't it doing it now? 

Have you lapped the face of the upper receiver?  It makes a difference, when you wanna to to something that's around 1 MOA, to under 1 MOA.  What brand is the upper receiver?  What ammo are you shooting?  <<<  THAT is a BIG one!  The trigger?...

It's just info - the more info that we request, and you give out, helps the recommendations that you'll get.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

@98Z5V The longest range I have access to is 450 yds. I like to punch paper with this rifle. My purpose in building this was to have a rifle tht wasn’t crazy heavy so I could lug it around. The weather by me Varys a decent amount. I am by no mean an amazing shot. I have a Remington 700 that I get around .75 with semi regularity. I lapped the face of my Noreen upper. I have tried a variety of ammo. Variety of federal and Hornady.  I load my own ammo as well and that has been where I found the best accuracy for this rifle. That’s how i have gotten 1” groups. CMC single stage trigger.

2 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@98Z5V The longest range I have access to is 450 yds. I like to punch paper with this rifle. My purpose in building this was to have a rifle tht wasn’t crazy heavy so I could lug it around. The weather by me Varys a decent amount. I am by no mean an amazing shot. I have a Remington 700 that I get around .75 with semi regularity. I lapped the face of my Noreen upper. I have tried a variety of ammo. Variety of federal and Hornady.  I load my own ammo as well and that has been where I found the best accuracy for this rifle. That’s how i have gotten 1” groups. CMC single stage trigger.

^^^  This is all good news!  I like it!   That's great info to work with.  You've already done alot to the gun for the accuracy - faced the receiver, various brands of ammo, handloads, etc.  So, if that barrel just won't shoot like you want it to, maybe the decision to move on to another brand of barrel isn't a bad decision. 

2 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@98Z5V This is slightly off topic but I was wondering if anyone has insight on this. I know a heavy spring and lighter buffer can perform very well. Is there any sort of benefit to a heavy spring and heavy buffer? Would it allow the bolt to stay closed longer? Or would it just make it harder to tune in the long run?

Reciprocating mass...  5.4oz buffers and the appropriate .308 springs (heavier than AR15 springs) are the way to go to making a happy large frame gas gun that doesn't beat up it's own parts.  If it's not a Race Gun running a custom handload that you're winning money and trophy hardware with...   Making it function properly is the way to go for the longevity and reliability of the gun.  Your barrel and trigger are the heart of your potential accuracy.  Balancing the gas system and recoil system, using good parts - that's the heart of your reliability.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

I am looking to get a 20in and rifle length gas system.

Spark, have you considered an 18" barrel?  Just asking, because there are some great ones out there.

That CLE barrel would be badass, but what's that thing gonna cost you?  Ballistic Advantage has some great barrels available, and I'd also look at Wilson Combat.  On the WC barrel, you'd probably have to drill the gas port out.  Every WC barrel I have shoots the lights out, crazy accurate, after I've fixed the gas ports.  The ones I've got are .260 Rem (two of them), .338 Federal, .358 Winchester, and 7mm-08. 

4 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

This is slightly off topic but I was wondering if anyone has insight on this. I know a heavy spring and lighter buffer can perform very well. Is there any sort of benefit to a heavy spring and heavy buffer? Would it allow the bolt to stay closed longer? Or would it just make it harder to tune in the long run?

Spark, here's a really good writeup on what I was talking about.  This explains it in great detail.

https://www.sprinco.com/SPRINCO-DOCS/Gas Mass and Springs AR Tuning.pdf

@98Z5V I am running an 18” currently. I don’t mind it but wanna bump up to 20” just for a slight velocity increase. I had a 20” BA H Bar for a little bit and I was not a fan. Just the quality was not there. Had issues. I t will be expensive for sure but I am kinda thinking but once cry once. I am running a sprinco orange and a kak heavy 2.5 buffer. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2023 at 10:35 AM, Sparkylr308 said:

@Matt.Cross I am open to other options as well. 

@98Z5V I realize this will never be a f class type rifle. I just would like more consistency and a bit better accuracy. I have a faxon right now and can pull out 1” groups at best. It’s just not a consistent barrel. I would like something better. I would like a rifle that shoots .5”-.75” consistently and I realize I have to step up my game as well.

first I have to ask are you shooting factory loads or hand loads if you are hand loading then i would look at your load for consistency not your barrel if it shoots a 1 inch group that is a very good group that you can make better with great loads , loads with low S.D. (standard deviation) if you want a great barrel to start with try Proof Research but beware it will humble you as a shooter. what bullets do you shoot weight wise ?