• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 Barrel Nut Dimensions

Oz

DPMS/SR-25 uppers have a 1 7/16"-16 pitch thread so require a nut with the same thread. Armalite/Noveske uppers have a 1 7/16"-18 pitch thread so require nuts with that thread. Obviously they are not interchangable. I have never assembled any of the factory guns so can't comment on what the outside configuration is on their barrel nuts. I can tell you that many/most of the manufacturers of aftermarket, free float handguards utilize proprietary, barrel nuts with unique designs so they will not interchange between the two platforms or between different handguards. Basically, you pick your platform, select the handguard, and either you buy the nut that matches the platform, or it is supplied with the handguard.

Thank you gents!  That's what I was looking for.  Yeah, the outside of the nuts I assumed would all be very different.  I was interested in the barrel retaining part.  I should have know that DPMS flavored and Armalite would be different.

Oz

Perhaps I'm confused here, but as far as I know, any railed handguard that you get, (that is actually designed for your DPMS .308) should either utilize the stock barrel nut, come with a proprietary nut, or have the nut offered for sale seperately. The biggest problem I'm hearing about with the DPMS uppers is the mismatch between the handguard top rail height and the DPMS uppers top rail height due to them changing the uppers design (for who know what reason).

You say you have a DPMS .308 upper, what rail are you trying to mount?

My initial post question was more basic than the complexities that I know exist.

I machine my own barrel nuts, hand-guards, jam nuts and gas blocks.  And 80% DPMS style lowers (from Tactical Machining).

I can understand how frustrating it must be trying to buy pieces and parts from this various standard platform.  >:(

The beauty of the AR-15 is that there's "one spec to rule them all".

Oz

Beside the thread pitch, you have to take into account the different rail manufacturers method of attachment. Since there is no mil spec for the large platform AR's , the upper receiver contours vary widely. I made a barrel nut to mount a Larue rail (Armalite pattern) on a SR-25 pattern upper, I know from this , that the Larue couldn't be used on a MA TEN or DPMS upper unless you were to relieve the upper receiver for the rail mounting bolts and wrench clearance.

In my case the incentive to make the barrel nut was that I already had the Larue rail, which I consider to be of high quaity with a very strong mounting design, it was exactly the right length to just cover the rifle length GB, and I didn't feel like spending almost $400 for the DD Lite which was not the right length, that and to see if i could do it, but I would agree, there are so many good handguards on the market these days, you should be able to get almost anything you want without resorting to machine work, (unless you enjoy it, like me).

• 8 years later...
35 minutes ago, carcrusher said:

make a hand guard like this......................

https://carcrusher.imgbb.com

Ti Gr9, M-lok (7 x 32) slots, 2" OD, 400MM length.

If you're making your own barrel nuts you surely have a lathe and a mill.
Tactical Machining sells really good stuff. I'm a customer too.

Uh, the thread is 8 years old guy....