• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Troy rail

6132expert

th_photobucket-1982-1330544861434.jpg

I would really rather buy a wrech, if anything happened to one I barrowed I would not like that. If you have a good wrech to sell I would buy it. Or post me up a link to

buy one.

Would this be the one I need?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27412/Product/AR-15-M16-AR-10-reg-BARREL-NUT-WRENCH

Hiya  ive got two trx rails on my two 308's and the barrel nut in your picture is just like mine. I used the dpms/ar10 wrench like this  <thumbsup>  Wash

http://www.operationparts.com/Brownell_s_Dpms_Ar_Style_308_Barrel_Nut_Wrench_p/231-000-230.htm

Does anyone know if the wrench is the same for the TRX and MFR? Troy only shows the wrench for the TRX. Also does Brownells sell a wrench for the Troy nut? I cant find one at their site. <dontknow>

As you found, from talking to the Troy rep - the MRF barrel nut is perfectly round, with wrench flats in it, machined into the front (muzzle) end - you can install it with a large crescent wrench.  It takes no special barrel nut wrench.

Outer-dimension wise, it's identical to a stock Armalite AR-10 barrel nut, except it doesn't have the teeth - just the wrench flats where those teeth are.  Looks just like this Armalite here, but no teeth:

16c2a9644972433f496827ca117ebe5a.jpg

You say it can be installed with a crescent wrench now be specific. Crescent is a name brand not a type of wrench. The nut does have teeth like the Armalite nut you show just not as tall. Its understood by me that the Armalite nut is different then the DPMS nut and a standard AR15 nut. Is this correct?

You say it can be installed with a crescent wrench now be specific. Crescent is a name brand not a type of wrench. The nut does have teeth like the Armalite nut you show just not as tall. Its understood by me that the Armalite nut is different then the DPMS nut and a standard AR15 nut. Is this correct?

Not yours, man, not the TRX nut.  The MRF nut has the wrench flats on it - that's the one I was describing.

If you go back to your original post, you stated that Troy only sells the wrench for the TRX, and not one for the MRF - What I was explaining above is why they don't sell a wrench for the MRF - it doesn't take anything special, due to the design, and those wrench flats.  <thumbsup>

You could tighten the MRF nut with a pipe wrench.  <laughs>

6132, here's a better example of what I was trying to describe about the MRF barrel nut - this one right here is made by Samson.  The Samson pictured here has 6 wrench flats on it, while the MRF nut only has the two wrench flats.

AR-10_DPMS_Barrel_Nut.jpg

Thread about the Samson:

http://308ar.com/forum/308ar-parts/samson-barrel-nut/msg19930/#msg19930

I know this is no help to you, with the TRX, but I hope the difference between the TRX nut and the MRF nut is a little more clear.  If not, I'll try to do better.  <thumbsup>

I don't have a TRX rail. It says right on the box that it is a MRF , BUT the barrel nut looks like a TRX nut.

This is a TRX nut and you saw the picture of mine.

6132, here's a better example of what I was trying to describe about the MRF barrel nut - this one right here is made by Samson.  The Samson pictured here has 6 wrench flats on it, while the MRF nut only has the two wrench flats.

AR-10_DPMS_Barrel_Nut.jpg

Thread about the Samson:

http://308ar.com/forum/308ar-parts/samson-barrel-nut/msg19930/#msg19930

I know this is no help to you, with the TRX, but I hope the difference between the TRX nut and the MRF nut is a little more clear.  If not, I'll try to do better.  <thumbsup>

post-289-136297273609_thumb.jpg