• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Steel or Brass

classacked

never ever will i run steel ammo though my .308  ;D

i tried to run steel ammo through my 5.56, BCG got chamber-stuck like it was superglued! had to bash my upper onto the ground like 5 times 'till it finally loosened up

sold all my steel ammo the next day and stocked up on plinking brass ammo

First, always check the owner's manual and see what it says about ammo. Many makers' warranty will be void if steel cased ammo is used. That being said I've fed my DPMS AP4 AR-15 Wolf (black box) 55gr fmj & hp, 62gr fmj & hp, and Brown Bear 55gr fmj. No issues with any of them. Granted I'm not firing 100s of rounds at a time, but I've had no issues with any lacquer or polymer coating build-up ever. I've fired Wolf (black box) 150gr fmj through a PTR91 I used to have without issue too....it was actually giving me better groups than Austrian brass cased surplus. For my pistols I've shot Brown Bear and Wolf through my XD9 and Wolf through my G21SF and Taurus 1911 without any problems either.

I understand the thought of only using higher grade stuff through a higher grade rifle or whatever, but if a rifle going for $1500+ (or whatever premium cost) and it can't handle "cheap" steel cased ammo, then IMO I'm going to look elsewhere. Let's not forget that the U.S. military during WWII was using steel cased .45ACP ammo....which a few months ago MidwayUSA had on sale, and it sold quick. When I was researching for what .308 AR I wanted, DI or piston, I emailed companies and asked them about steel cased ammo. POF and PWS both said they run Wolf regulary through their guns. So hence I now own a POF :). But, once I'm able to shoot 300+ yards I'm def. going to get some match stuff to see what my POF can really do. Unfortunately, stuck with 100 yard range at the moment :(.

Is brass softer than steel? Yes, of course. But materials used to make today's firearms should be of stouter stuff than steel cased ammo. If steel cased ammo is so terrible why would Hornady and Black Hills now offer ammo with steel cases? They're not exactly known for producing crap ammo are they?

Here's some food for thought: