• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdy from extreme far west TEXAS

jkarlsruher

A Big Texas Howdy from the land West of the Pecos and directly across the river from the current murder capital of the world.  I just bought a DPMS RECON 16" LR-308.  It joins my Bushmaster AR15 20" Heavy Barrel.  I have kept the AR15 handy in my Jeep for the past several years when hunting along the border and just roaming the desert.  I felt the need to get some more punch.  Anyway, I look forward to learning from others who have gone this route, and their experiences with the .308/7.62X51 AR platform.  My last 7.62X51 was an M60 and they made me turn it in when I re-crossed the big pond.

JK

Thanks gunjunkie and washguy!  I lived in the DFW area for many years and I know all about the shooting oportunities in that neighborhood.  I chased pipelines all across the Panhandle (some pheasant, sandhill cranes, ducks and geese too) in my younger days.  I like the prairie dog idea, but I use my .220 Swift on those guys.  I chose the 16" barrel because I might need the firepower at medium range.  For long range I have a number of options, but my .300 Win. Mag. is my favorite.  Its all good! I do notice a touch of recoil that my AR15 doesn't have, but it is manageable.  It is also taking quite a few rounds to season the stainless steel barrel and pull in the group sizes.  Because I want the rifle to be a "grab and go" tool, I've placed and ACOG 4X on it, so I don't have the same precision as the 6 x 24X on my Swift.  I have also ordered a Chip McCormick drop in 3.5 pound trigger.  The factory DPMS trigger is horrible and crunchy and sounds like an old screen door opening when you start your takeup.

You pretty much got it down....good trigger...now get a good brake/comp,hmmmmm...but if you are protecting your land maybe a flashider is better? start putting some lead down it!If its new be sure and keep everything lubed up real good...but you knew that :)  Wash

Howdy from far west TX as well, though maybe not as far.  Im in the Marfa Alpine area.  My ar 308 is arriving slowly in pieces.  You can do alot more with a 4x than people would lead you to believe.  Good choice for a go to rifle,  that is how my ar 15 is set up.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome:-)  I did check out the buffer link and will probably buy the buffer and Armalite spring.  YWHIC, I'll be right there, just make sure the cooler is full when my shift is done.  I hunt on a couple of ranches south of you on the border.  I started packing the AR15 when the druggies started ambushing hunters and ranchers looking to hijack competitor's drug shipments.  No trouble so far, but you never know...it's wild country over there, just like "no country for old men"  be careful in your new place when you hear a knock at the door, especially after dark.

Jk

JK.. I'll hit you up you when I get out that way..

Heres my new mini-hunting rig for when I get out there..

FN Upper, 5.56 14.5" Carbine Barrel, Troy 15" Alpha..

The field-drab brown is even.. its just the flash..

I used some pine trees, mesh, etc.. (use RIGHT CLICK and VIEW to see full picture or slider at bottom of this post..)

IM000097.JPG

[img width=810 height=437]http://www.executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/paint/IM000095.JPG

atRange321.jpg