• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

P-308 reliability?

lew.45

I have had 2 issues with my POF 308.

1. I had some Romanian .308 that would not seat at all.  I called POF and they told me that I should not use foreign ammo because the specs are very tight on this gun. OK I can live with that.

2. On my second range session after about 200 rounds my federal rounds would not feed because the bolt carrier group was returning before the round fed out of the mag. I tore it down and it was full of brass shavings and dirty.  I wiped it down and lubed it and it was fine!  I'm ok with that i think but POF's claim is that it will rund dirty and does not need lube! 

Do you all think that this is normal or do you think that the gun has an issue that needs addressed by POF?  Please weigh in with your thoughts and experiences.  Thanks, lew.

I'm thinking it should be easy to determine, just run some ammo with bullets that aren't brass coated. If you still find gold colored shavings it must be coming from the cases.

As others have posted, I think a gun with a tight chamber will be an asset to you if you like your gun to be accurate. If, on the other hand, reliability under adverse conditions is the priority, the POF's tight chamber may be something of a liability to you. I, also, think you should run it really wet, and put a few hundred more rds through it (after figuring out where the shavings are coming from) before sending it back. I think you'll find that it becomes more reliable when you keep it wet. By the way, if your gun is tight to begin with, it may become somewhat more forgiving about ammo later on.

POF rifles require no lubricant and I strongly advise against running them "wet". That is the reason for the np3 coating on the bolt. It eliminates the need for lube and even says so on the POF website, however, I use a very light coat of MPro-7 on my BCG to avoid any issue that may arise.

Additionally, POF is right about the foreign ammo. It is not held or manufactured to the same standards as ammo produced in the U.S. so you get what you get when you buy junk ammo like Bear, Wolf, and crap similar to what has been mentioned. Stick with stuff like PMC or German NATO if you're wanting cheap plinking ammo.

You do not need to run the POF rifles "really wet" like the impingement rifles.

If your BCG is returning without having chambered a round then the magazine may not be fully loaded into the magazine well, which could indicate a faulty magazine, or the BCG is out of spec and it's not loading a round on the return after ejection of the round.

What magazine are you using?

Mine is pretty new less than 500 rds when I use my new brass loads no brass but with mil surplus I get brass. I also had a top,rail,screw shear off a small screw that holds then top,rail,on. I will,have to get taped at my gun smith. Gun is as accurate as Remington 700. So,easy to clean I,run mine fairly wet with Miltech 1