• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 "Lite" Bullets Under 150 gr . Carbine Reloading

TenRingKing

I am reloading for a lr308 with a 14.5' barrel and found with the 168gr loads just did not do it for me. The loads were at max, bullet speed still on the slow side , accuracy was good and improved as bullet speed increased but recoil that made rapid fire a little less rapid. Not the feel I was looking for with this rifle. Its pretty nimble for a 308 and I want a solid easy shooten 300 yd rifle. Been loading for bolt carbines for years and going lite with bullet has worked well so I thought lets see how this semi auto likes it. Been working with two different bullets, the 100gr Lapua CEHP & the 135gr Sierra MK. The rifle seems to like these and working on refining my loads. The 100gr Lapua load is the front runner, " flat,fast,accutate and recoil that is so smooth.....feels good. So if you are or had been loading "lite" loads would like to here feedback, pro,cons, loads. And by the way, Sierra will soon have a 125gr Match King. Something new to play with.

Did some loads with light weight bullets and was not impressed with the 100gr and the 110gr at all ! I'll be saving the rest of those bullets for the 300blackout loads. I did like the 125gr ballistic tip bullets (green tip) Nosler hunting and the (white tip) Accubond. Other than the 147gr FMJ which is a great plinking round I cant help you much.

I am reloading for a lr308 with a 14.5' barrel and found with the 168gr loads just did not do it for me. The loads were at max, bullet speed still on the slow side , accuracy was good and improved as bullet speed increased but recoil that made rapid fire a little less rapid. Not the feel I was looking for with this rifle. Its pretty nimble for a 308 and I want a solid easy shooten 300 yd rifle. Been loading for bolt carbines for years and going lite with bullet has worked well so I thought lets see how this semi auto likes it. Been working with two different bullets, the 100gr Lapua CEHP & the 135gr Sierra MK. The rifle seems to like these and working on refining my loads. The 100gr Lapua load is the front runner, " flat,fast,accutate and recoil that is so smooth.....feels good. So if you are or had been loading "lite" loads would like to here feedback, pro,cons, loads. And by the way, Sierra will soon have a 125gr Match King. Something new to play with.

You can also change the buffer & or spring to lower felt recoil & make her run smoother (heavy buffers ) with the heavy's.

With the short barrel , you may need to stay with a lighter bullet if you want the Vol., if that's your goal .

• 1 month later...

Great advice on the buffer. Installed a "Heavy Buffer" and man, what a differance! Besides improving handling and feel, my ejected brass no longer has dings that I was getting before. Great upgrade. Scope problems have slowed down my load testing, but last time out the 100gr Lapua Cutting Edge was on fire! If you load 30 cal., you realy have to try this bullet. The accuracy will impress. Best load to date: Vit N135  44.0 gr  OL 2.640

• 2 weeks later...

but last time out the 100gr Lapua Cutting Edge was on fire! If you load 30 cal., you realy have to try this bullet. The accuracy will impress. Best load to date: Vit N135  44.0 gr  OL 2.640

What twist barrel are you running again?  It this ^^^ N135 load what you're shooting the 100gr pills with?  What's the velocity on these things?!  :o

Sorry for the million questions, but this reminds me of 5.56 guns with fast twist barrels, shooting varmint-weight projectiles - sometimes the lightass bullets spin too fast, and just come apart.  Wondering where that threshold is on the 30 cal light bullets. 

The Twist on my DPMS is 1-10. The Lapua is a solid copper alloy, flat based, match target bullet. I have loaded most 110gr varmet bullets and for pure accurcy, the  Lapua is the best light bullet I have ever shot in 30cal. bolt guns and the semi is looking like it's going to like them too. They will preform very well with speeds between 2900 to 3100 fps depending on what your rifle likes. The Vit 135 load should be in the 2900 fps range on my rifle. I have to again say what a differance the Heavy Buffer made, money well spent.