• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What company will allow me to use a preban .308 magazine?

6shootr

Looking for an answer to the title question.  I just got my DPMS LR308 lower in BUT quickly wondered what my magazine capability would be in a ban state.  I know FAL's have preban 20 and 30 round magazines...would the dpms lower accept the FAL mags?  If not i may sell off this DPMS and start building a .308 ar that will if the DPMS won't accept any preban mags.

Looking for an answer to the title question.  I just got my DPMS LR308 lower in BUT quickly wondered what my magazine capability would be in a ban state.  I know FAL's have preban 20 and 30 round magazines...would the dpms lower accept the FAL mags?  If not i may sell off this DPMS and start building a .308 ar that will if the DPMS won't accept any preban mags.

Not sure if there is a DPMS type pre ban mag. , maybe the early AR 10 mags ?

DPMS & others sell 5 & 10 rd. mags , for those commie states  & then there's the bullet button  or what ever its called , so you can't use the mag. release.

Depends on the state.

Mass...no need for a button, but for a high cap over 10 round mag we need it to be pre ban...which was 94...seeing if there are any pre ban mags such as a FAL mag that would fit the lr308 lower.  I've read early gen I ar-10 mags fit as well as Sr-25 mags w/e those are.  Do they make a 30 rounder ar-10 mag in gen I like they did the FAL?

The Bushmaster 308 that was made by RRA uses the FAL mags, and I think RRA may still makes a lower that uses them as well.

I heard that they were not a very good functioning combo when they first came out.

I don't know what the big deal is all about with 20 or 30 rd mags in a 308, I use my 10 rd mag more then my 20 rds.

I can't even remember the last big game animal that took more than 1 shot to put it down with a rifle.

Dis regarding the lrgal issue, I think that you might find that a 30 rd mag of .308 is kind of unweildy. I sticks out pretty far, not to mention the fact that 30 rds of .308 has some weight to it. It can really effect the way the gun feels when your shooting on the move.

And there's the reliability issue to consider. 30 rounders don''t have as good of a track recored when it comes to reliability. I'ts really not much effort to hit the mag release and slap in another mag.

I have not heard of a DPMS lower that will take the FAL mags.  my research only turned up the preban Knights and DPMS as options.

I called DPMS and the GEN I AR-10 mags...which are the preban ones will fit in the DPMS lower (just need to find those).  I looked at the RRA lower but the whole configuration looks different.  For one, i didn't see the push drop bolt button on the side and the mag release looked like it was right infront of the trigger and not on the side where it usually is on an AR platform.  Am i right or wrong on that observation?

The mag release is just above the trigger,and next to the mag well.There is also a full button on the opposite side,which for my arthritic finger is easier to actuate than the norgon on my 5.56.Also an ambi-bolt release center bottom of mag well.As I once thought of a different .308 AR none have this type of layout,as I am a lefty. :)

Brother that's so subjective,the barrel and nut are propretary,uses Fn-Fal mags [i really like P-mags] now RRA has there own poly-mags.The other rifles Armalite,Larue,LWRC,POF,DPMS those come to mind, I mean no disrespect if I omited your brand.Everyone is very passionate about the rifle they have, understandable so.For ME for the money the ambi-features that come with this rifle works for ME.The other option is a build MaTen and others are very impressive,then you pick and chose all your compnents.Respectfully Rene

Brother that's so subjective,the barrel and nut are propretary,uses Fn-Fal mags [i really like P-mags] now RRA has there own poly-mags.The other rifles Armalite,Larue,LWRC,POF,DPMS those come to mind, I mean no disrespect if I omited your brand.Everyone is very passionate about the rifle they have, understandable so.For ME for the money the ambi-features that come with this rifle works for ME.The other option is a build MaTen and others are very impressive,then you pick and chose all your compnents.Respectfully Rene

Thanks a lot.  I think i'll just stick with the DPMS and see if i can find some gen 1 AR-10 mags or some sr-25 mags.